What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hutchison suffers ACL Injury

MilanDragon

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed that halfback Drew Hutchison will be sidelined for the majority of the season after suffering a serious knee injury during training at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Thursday.

The local Albion Park-Oak Flats junior has since undergone scans which have unfortunately confirmed a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his left knee which will require surgery.

“Unfortunately, Drew has ruptured his ACL during training on Thursday that will see him require surgery,” said Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth.

“There are a lot of upset faces amongst the playing group and football staff as a result and we are all shattered for him.

“Drew had undertaken a simple ball-work drill and there was a collision amongst some of the players involved and unfortunately his foot got caught in the ground.

“With the forces that were applied to his body at the time, Drew’s knee got put into a vulnerable position which resulted in the ACL rupture.

“He has since under gone scans which have confirmed the injury and we have already spoken to a number of surgeons.

“We are presently gathering information over what is the best course of action for Drew in the short term being mindful that he is a young athlete and therefore making sure the best decision is also made about his long term career and health.

“Drew will undergo surgery prior to the holiday period and will be provided all the help and support needed as he overcomes this setback.”

Devastating news for him, wonder what it means for the #7 position for 2017

red rocket

Juniors
The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed that halfback Drew Hutchison will be sidelined for the majority of the season after suffering a serious knee injury during training at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Thursday.

The local Albion Park-Oak Flats junior has since undergone scans which have unfortunately confirmed a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his left knee which will require surgery.

“Unfortunately, Drew has ruptured his ACL during training on Thursday that will see him require surgery,” said Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth.

“There are a lot of upset faces amongst the playing group and football staff as a result and we are all shattered for him.

“Drew had undertaken a simple ball-work drill and there was a collision amongst some of the players involved and unfortunately his foot got caught in the ground.

“With the forces that were applied to his body at the time, Drew’s knee got put into a vulnerable position which resulted in the ACL rupture.

“He has since under gone scans which have confirmed the injury and we have already spoken to a number of surgeons.

“We are presently gathering information over what is the best course of action for Drew in the short term being mindful that he is a young athlete and therefore making sure the best decision is also made about his long term career and health.

“Drew will undergo surgery prior to the holiday period and will be provided all the help and support needed as he overcomes this setback.”

Devastating news for him, wonder what it means for the #7 position for 2017
I feel shattered for hutch all the best on your recovery mate

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
The knock-on effect of this, what I fear will happen is that we will end up with a Halves Combo of McCrone and Widdop and I can't think of anything worse.

Mary has the atrocious habit of reacting super conservative with stuff like this.

I fully expect a spine of

1. Dugan
6. Widdop
7. McCrone
9. McInnes

Which is just depressing. It looks so boring on paper

I would much rather we go all out. Experiment, look at Cleary, Taylor, Mitchell, Moses. All blooded young and straight from the 20's

eg.

1. Dufty
6. Nona/Field/Mann
7. Widdop
9. Mcinnes

Reason being, I fully expect Widdop not to be re-signed. So play all the best potential 6's we have with Widdop as half. Then when we go after a half for 2018, they can slot in and we could end up with a very handy spine. Eventually aiming for:-

1. Dufty
6. Field
7. Hunt
9. Robson

As early as 2018 but more realisically 2019

getsmarty

Immortal
Drew Hutchison to miss majority of 2017 season after suffering torn ACL at training
  • 30 minutes ago
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE Dragons have been dealt a serious blow for 2017 after promising halfback Drew Hutchison suffered a knee injury that will sideline him for much of the season.

Hutchison had been widely tipped to take over from Benji Marshall as Gareth Widdop’s halves partner but now faces a long road back after tearing his ACL at training on Thursday.

“There are a lot of upset faces among the playing group and football staff as a result and we are all shattered for him.

“Drew had undertaken a simple ball-work drill and there was a collision among some of the players involved and unfortunately his foot got caught in the ground.

47a370e302ff3f676e5f9c00c00314db

Next season was supposed to be Hutchison’s coming out party.Source: News Corp Australia

The injury leaves the Dragons scrambling to find an experienced halves partner for Widdop, with former Raider Josh McCrone the likely candidate to start the year at halfback.

Promising youngster Jai Field could also come into contention.

Controversial former Dally M winner Todd Carney and the enigmatic Chris Sandow are two additional options for the desperate Dragons.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...g/news-story/6dfb726e410aaf49f9a4383f0529b7f7

Mann should play at 7 for the entire pre-season but i doubt he will.

Field is aways off from first grade but he will get a chance in 2018 hopefully they give him games with the Cutters.

Nona has the skill set to be anything but since he was a JD fav he propably never see first grade.

McCrone will probably start at 7 and nothing against the guy he was a great foil Nona and Hutchison this year but he offers little.

They might bring Jack Payne back into the fold he is with the Cutters but has been training with the first grade squad and he is a genuine 7.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I don't think it will be McCrone. Had this been a week or two out from the start of the season I think it would've. However, given there is still most of the pre-season left I think it might be Mann, Nona or Field. Potentially Widdop moving to 7

getsmarty

Immortal
Getsmarty
Yeap he has a excuse to use him now.
Hope iam wrong

Yep..it tends to be Mary's modus operandi. He goes conservative in selections unless he decides to try DeBelin at Half ! Nothing against McCrone, but I would rather see Mann given a go or failing that Nona or one of the younger guys.

All the best to Hutch on a speedy recovery.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mann should play at 7 for the entire pre-season but i doubt he will.

Field is aways off from first grade but he will get a chance in 2018 hopefully they give him games with the Cutters.

Nona has the skill set to be anything but since he was a JD fav he propably never see first grade.

McCrone will probably start at 7 and nothing against the guy he was a great foil Nona and Hutchison this year but he offers little.

They might bring Jack Payne back into the fold he is with the Cutters but has been training with the first grade squad and he is a genuine 7.

I agree coast i hope they give mann a go.
Isn't Nona still recovering from his op.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I really dont think we will go with McCrone IMO.
He's been playing hooker rotation for the Cutters and I think he's down the pecking order as far as 1st grade is concerned.
The battle will be between Mann and Nona now wirh Mann probably the front runner as the 7.
Nona will come into it if they decide to move Widdop to 7.

Feel for young Hutch. This would have been his defining year with a view to a long term career. Now with his contract up in 2017 he would be feeling lower than low.....I just hope we do look after him and not discard him at the first opportunity.

Latest posts