What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hyundai A-League :: Finals Week Two

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I really get sick of the "maybe people on the Coast don't care" line.

There are clearly a core of 9-10k that do care. Many fanbases have survived on that or less in this league for a long time, why are we any different?
But when you're top two for three successive seasons, why isn't that 9-10k "core" increasing to 13-15k? It's kind of like the team/club are all on their own and no-one seems willing to help them out.

Haffa

One thing to consider for next season's breakdown:

We probably won't be playing the following clubs twice at home:
Perth
Brisbane
Adelaide
Heart

We typically get rubbish crowds against Perth, Adelaide and Heart (who doesn't?). Brisbane have sent a few in recent seasons.

We probably won't be playing the following clubs twice away:
Wanderers
Sydney
Newcastle
Wellington
Victory

The first three will draw big away turnouts, Wellington have nothing much and Victory travel to BT better than we travel to Sydney these days.

Our average was very close to 10k this year, we might be 2k higher next year just because of who's coming to town. Derbies will always bring in more locals as well as the boost from away fans.

Add to this FTA (which in areas like the CC where I'd be surprised if PayTV density is near what it is in Sydney, for availability reasons as much as economic) then we have the potential for growth. But we'll see how it pans out I guess.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There's no doubt wht Haffa is saying above is worth looking out for. There's scope of lots of new exposure and opportunity for CCM from next season, especially if we manage to snag the toilet seat on Sunday.

But when you're top two for three successive seasons, why isn't that 9-10k "core" increasing to 13-15k? It's kind of like the team/club are all on their own and no-one seems willing to help them out.
Have a look at the averages I posted on the previous page - that core has increased already from 7-8k to 9-10k, that's my point.

It's also worth noting that this season we played all three NSW clubs away twice, home once - undoubtedly this has impacted our ability to draw better crowds. Being subjected to double-up home games against interstate opponents more than our neighbours is hardly a good measure.

Knightmare

Coach
Geeze..

I hope the mariners win for their fans sake... KM will squeal like a little bitch for years if they don't... Kind of like he still is about their last great GF choke..

:lol: Say what?

You talk about the Mariners on here more than pretty much anybody bar Timmah. But if you think calling you out on your endless list of excuses to bag CCM counts as "squealing like a bitch" then whatever...

If I were you I'd stick to making spot-on predictions about West Ham...

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Against Perth last year, the Glory's goal came from an offside position, as did the Roar's opening goal in week 1 of the finals. It happens in games sometimes, unfortunate that it played a part in CCM missing the decider last year. I've never said CCM are always getting shafted by the refs- that argument has mostly been the domain of Glory fans the past year or so!