What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i feel a win coming

P

pepe

the kiwis have done themselves proud in this series,they took it up to the aussies in a manneri have not seen for a long time,when they arrived on our shores the australian team and public showed little respect for the black caps,in the end we escaped by our chinny chin chins.

this series has been the ideal preparation for the upcoming south african clashes as it is for the kiwis home series against the formidable bangledesh rhinos or what ever they are called.

pepe

p.s,i still can't believe steve waugh dismissal,luck was'nt on his side yesterday
emwink.gif

O

ozbash

NZ Moves To Fifth Place On ICC Table

New Zealand has moved up to fifth place on the test cricket world championship points table following the drawn series with Australia.
The Black Caps are above the West Indies, Pakistan, India, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, who they face next up in two tests at home.
Australia has hung on to its number one spot from South Africa....but only just.
The Aussies would have fallen to second had New Zealand been able to win the deciding test in Perth.
England and Sri Lanka round off the top five

imported_bronco

Juniors
This new test championship system is pretty much a joke. Australias form of the last couple of years should see them miles ahead of anyone even though South Africa have been consistant over that time.
Sri Lanka and England 3rd and 4th? Sri Lanka are one of the worst test nations going around and England well the old boys club always has a way of getting them up there to save face.
I'd rate NZ about 5th after that result so thats fair but still to have India below them is quite strange when it was India that beat Australia in a series. Surely the Indians wouldn't being punished on the system for a 1-0 test loss on South African soil?
I don't think many care about it too much, if Australia had lost to NZ and lost the number one ranking it would really show what a joke the system is.

El Duque

Bench
"Experts have labelled the Waugh decision as disgraceful with some commentators calling for Robinson to never umpire at test level again. "

Waugh was robbed robbed in Hobart.Where was Snedden then?A tad quiet wasn't he.He's gotta take the good with the bad.

I really don't think it was a great or close series as if it hadn't been for rain I would say without a shadow of a doubt the Aussies would've won the first two tests quite convincingly.Some peolpe tend to be forgetting that based on the last test where the Kiwi's came close.

imported_bronco

Juniors
And you tend to forget that what you have said is a total assumption, anything could've happened in those rained off days. I could quite easily sit here and say without a shadow of a doubt NZ would've won the first two tests. If Parore and Astle can put together 200 runs ANYTHING is possible.
Bag us for using the umpire as an excuse for not winning but the Australians have used the rain as an excuse for not winning. The Australians played enough cricket in the series to take it. If they were good enough to win the series they would've won the 3rd test.

El Duque

Bench
And you Kiwis tend to be assuming if Waugh was given out you would've won.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

imported_bronco

Juniors
I've never said that the Steve Waugh decision would've sent us on the way to victory. It doesn't take a fool though to realise that it was at a very crucial time likewise with Gillespie.

If Waugh had been given out Australia could well have just defended till the end of the game without losing a wicket but in that situation and against a champion side you need the umpiring decisions to be correct if you have a chance of victory.

Robinson had a disgraceful test match and we should not gloss over the incident because the ICC really need to look at how they allocate umpires and especially the use of technology Umpires have. I think for cases such as yesterday in the Waugh and Gillespie decisions Robertson would've gone to the video if he was given that option.

El Duque

Bench
And Brett Lee wasn't out in the 1st test and Langer was out off a no ball.I hope if the Kiwis go for a cry to the ICC they bring a few of these decisions up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well, no one has said it, so I will.
This was a Test which coming into day 4, looked dead in the water from Australia's point of view.
By lunch time on day 5, it looked like a draw was the only possibilty and this was further enforced after tea.
And what happened? A bloody tornado by the name of Gilchrist showed us all how much heart one cricketer can have as he threw caution to the wind and belted 83 runs, putting Australia back into contention... for a moment, we thought we could win.
Gilchrist's fire cracker effort was a great way to conclude the match.
Well done NZ. It was a drawn series... Aust couldn't beat you and thats something.
emthup.gif

O

ozbash

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=156 align=left bgcolor=#ffffff border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
0,1011,933958,00.jpg
</td></tr> <tr> <td> An Aussiesupporter inlast weekssecond test against Australia. The offender,Mud n Blood, has been charged withdisruption and causing old ladies to become flustered.He opted to pay a small fine which would go to the NZ teams beer coffer.</td></tr></tbody></table>

N.Z copped some dud decisions.
Oz copped some dud decisions.
The bottom line is that when Oz plays poorly and N.Z plays really well their still not good enough.

imported_bronco

Juniors
"And Brett Lee wasn't out in the 1st test and Langer was out off a no ball.I hope if the Kiwis go for a cry to the ICC they bring a few of these decisions up."

Langer was out when he was on 30 in that innings anyway, it only took till he was on 75 for Robertson to just and make up for his earlier mistake but instead he made another mistake. Langer should've been out on 30 so Australia shouldn't bitch coz they were damn lucky to get another 45 runs out of him.
Far more decisions went against NZ, lets not forget the most plump lbw Justin Langer will ever find himself caught up in yet its called not out.
Why should NZ sit around and not complain to the ICC when Robbo had a shocker of a game both ways, if Australia had a brain (which they don't in recent figures released) they would be complaining too.

Credit to both teams.

---NZ first for pushing Australia right to the end, and not caving in like previous NZ teams would've. I'd like to see Cricket stay NZ's No.1 summer sport, and they have done no harm to that. Bloody disgraceful decision with Vettori winning man of the 3rd test over Lou Vincent.---

--- Aussie for the way they went hardout and almost looked like stealing the win from NZ. Best performers for me were Lee, Warne, Langer.---

on another note, that ball that steve waugh nicked behind to parore (was it off vettori?) and umpire robbo gave 'not out', well I was a little bit confused here. Channel 9 showed that soundwave thing , and on that thing it showed that the ball hit the bat (by the lines going bigger like on a life suport machine) . Yet when I watched the replay Waugh didn't even hit the bloody ball! Didn't connect as far as I could see

If any of you guys have got that test on tape then have a look and tell me what you think about it. Not what you think about my eyesight!

Willow I saw you backing Gilchrist and I have to agree he is one of the most exciting players in cricket. He's got that Chris Cairns approach in that when he hits the ball, he hits it and if he gets out then he can try harder next time. Remember that 157* he got in a one-dayer, mate that was just... the shit..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Remember that 157* he got in a one-dayer, mate that was just... the shit.."

F2K, I don't think anyone could have said it any better... I'm in total agreement...
emthup.gif

El Duque

Bench
The best ODI innings I saw was when Michael Bevan nearly single handedly guided a Rest Of The World Team to victory over Asia.It was a cracker.He needed a 6 off the last ball and just fell short when he hit a 4. 185 not out of 132 balls against a great side.It really should go on his record if you ask me despite the fact he wasn't playing for Aus.
Did anyone else see this brilliant innings on Fox Sports a year or two back?

Click here for a story on a great game

O

ozbash

yep, i remember that game. even i was willing bevan along.
thats how cricket should be played and remembered..
tendulker had a good game as well.......

Was it 157* Willow? I think it couldve been 154, not too sure, but it was more than a run a ball, and thatis real tough when you go into triple figures to keep scoring at that pace. That innings by Bevan against the Asians was another that will go down in history. It was just unreal. When Bevan made his O.D.I debut I remember thinking ' This guy could act as a double for John Travolta! When watching an innings like Bevan's, you wonder just how they can perform like that, and especially given the opposition.
emthup.gif

Latest posts