What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a time machine, it's 2012.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
So a hypothetical scenario, I have a time machine & I've gone back & made my moves & I'm now the CEO of the tigers. I've so far changed absolutely nothing about our clubs past. I have full control over the club's future direction, the board will do whatever I recommend.

It's now round 8ish of 2012. The calls to sack Sheen's are getting louder, soon they will be overwhelming.

Knowing everything you now know about our previous decade (the coming decade from my perspective), what should I do?
Sack Sheen's? Or back him & trust that he's seen what's gone wrong this season & the mistakes he's made. Then trust he'll be able to fix it coming into the 2013-14 seasons. Then lay the foundation for a handover of the coaching ranks to a candidate of his choosing when he feels it's time, like Bennett & Demetriou or Bellamy & potentially Ryles.

In hindsight, what do you think?

Vic Mackey

Referee
At the time it seemed right. Sheens should have won a Premiership with the 2009-2012 side. To only win 2 finals games with a side that had Benji, Robbie, Ellis, Lawrence, Tuqiri, Lui, Galloway, Heighno, etc was criminal.

He was then planning for the future with Teddy, Moses and Brooks by releasging Gibbs, Ryan, Heighno etc but unfortunately that fell him out with Benji and Robbie which lead to his sacking.

In hindsight he should have been kept to bring the kids through, but perhaps its moreso the poor choices of replacment coaches then firing Sheens himself which was the mistake.

Fordy20

Juniors
You sack Sheens and hire Potter. Everything plays out the same, except you back Potter and give him a two year extension in June of 2014.

Independent board members are appointed, but don’t want to go through the same contract saga with Potter as they did with Sheens, so Potter gets to decide who stays and who goes, continuing to build quality and recruit well.

At the start of the 2015 season, Anasta and Austin have moved on, with Brooks and Moses pairing up in the halves. With the emergence of Moses and Brooks, Sironen accepts that he’s not a half and starts to flourish as a ball playing backrower.

Gavet and Blair stay, with Potter continuing to get the best out of Blair by using him in the middle. Thompson stays because Blair is kept in the middle where he belongs and the pack dominates because of good service from Farah and strong competition for spots amongst the middles.

Instead of having a horror injury run like they did in 2014, Tigers have a blessed run. With their pack dominating like they did in their early matches against Souths and Manly in the year before, the young spine has time and space, but takes a while to gel properly. Young winger David Nofoaluma continues his defensive apprenticeship outside Chris Lawrence and Tim Simona and Pat Richards continue his work together on the other edge.

The team eventually clicks and puts together a string of wins at the back end of the season to qualify for the finals in eight spot. They easily account for Bulldogs in the first final, narrowly beat the old enemy the Roosters in the semi final before succumbing to the Broncos in the preliminary final.

On the back of making the first final since 2011, Potter is extended for another three years. There is some turn over, like the retirement of Pat Richards and Keith Galloway signing with Leeds.

2016 starts with Josh Addo-Carr filling the void left by Pat Richards. The side completely dominates the competition, winning the minor premiership and smashing the peptide fuelled Cronulla Sharks in the grand final.

Not only does this win start a dynasty which leads to years of dominance, it also leads to the appointment of Potter as NSW coach in 2017 and Tigers players dominating the NSW side, which in turn begins years of NSW dominance in the Origin arena.

After showing the stones to sack Sheens and back Potter and subsequently building a Tigers onfield dynasty on the back of this, veteran CEO Mr_Raditch turns his attention to structurally reforming the board and the Wests Tigers ownership model.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
You sack Sheens and hire Potter. Everything plays out the same, except you back Potter and give him a two year extension in June of 2014.

Independent board members are appointed, but don’t want to go through the same contract saga with Potter as they did with Sheens, so Potter gets to decide who stays and who goes, continuing to build quality and recruit well.

At the start of the 2015 season, Anasta and Austin have moved on, with Brooks and Moses pairing up in the halves. With the emergence of Moses and Brooks, Sironen accepts that he’s not a half and starts to flourish as a ball playing backrower.

Gavet and Blair stay, with Potter continuing to get the best out of Blair by using him in the middle. Thompson stays because Blair is kept in the middle where he belongs and the pack dominates because of good service from Farah and strong competition for spots amongst the middles.

Instead of having a horror injury run like they did in 2014, Tigers have a blessed run. With their pack dominating like they did in their early matches against Souths and Manly in the year before, the young spine has time and space, but takes a while to gel properly. Young winger David Nofoaluma continues his defensive apprenticeship outside Chris Lawrence and Tim Simona and Pat Richards continue his work together on the other edge.

The team eventually clicks and puts together a string of wins at the back end of the season to qualify for the finals in eight spot. They easily account for Bulldogs in the first final, narrowly beat the old enemy the Roosters in the semi final before succumbing to the Broncos in the preliminary final.

On the back of making the first final since 2011, Potter is extended for another three years. There is some turn over, like the retirement of Pat Richards and Keith Galloway signing with Leeds.

2016 starts with Josh Addo-Carr filling the void left by Pat Richards. The side completely dominates the competition, winning the minor premiership and smashing the peptide fuelled Cronulla Sharks in the grand final.

Not only does this win start a dynasty which leads to years of dominance, it also leads to the appointment of Potter as NSW coach in 2017 and Tigers players dominating the NSW side, which in turn begins years of NSW dominance in the Origin arena.

After showing the stones to sack Sheens and back Potter and subsequently building a Tigers onfield dynasty on the back of this, veteran CEO Mr_Raditch turns his attention to structurally reforming the board and the Wests Tigers ownership model.
A wet dream come true 😍

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Yeah
At the time it seemed right. Sheens should have won a Premiership with the 2009-2012 side. To only win 2 finals games with a side that had Benji, Robbie, Ellis, Lawrence, Tuqiri, Lui, Galloway, Heighno, etc was criminal.

He was then planning for the future with Teddy, Moses and Brooks by releasging Gibbs, Ryan, Heighno etc but unfortunately that fell him out with Benji and Robbie which lead to his sacking.

In hindsight he should have been kept to bring the kids through, but perhaps its moreso the poor choices of replacment coaches then firing Sheens himself which was the mistake.

I think the biggest mistake this club has ever made was hiring Jason Taylor. Absolute unmitigated disaster

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yeah

I think the biggest mistake this club has ever made was hiring Jason Taylor. Absolute unmitigated disaster
That is the key. I don’t think Potter is a good as everyone remembers. Every basically laughed at his prospects of keeping the bulldogs job when it was mentioned.

the sliding doors moment was if we went with Nathan Brown instead of Taylor.

simmo1

First Grade
Yeah

It is criminal that we did not make the 8 in 2016. Maybe the exodus of players in 2017 never happens if we played finals. Teddy having his jaw broken by Ryan James didn't help either.

gordsy

Juniors
Do anything we can to stop useless merkins like Dawn Fraser, mr mop head, Lee etc from coming near our club, tell Woods to f**k off and clip player power, hire a football manager that Sheens and coaches that follow him answer too.
Invest heavily in pathways and juniors, have a program for hookers and halves.
Tell anyone who quotes or is loyal to Sirro, Elias and or Roach to piss off and excommunicate them. If that means journos then so be it.
Cultivate a group of lazy journos and feed them Intel from other clubs anytime a story we don't like is coming out or is broken by other journos. Anyone who leak sgets sacked, no second chances.
Invest in juniors in the Campbelltown region and base the club and our home ground at Campbelltown. Make the decision to piss off Leichhardt and lobby the government to give us a new / upgraded 30k stadium at Campbelltown. There's almost no chance any state government helps us with the greens running Leichhardt.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Fair enough. What I most remember of that era is the St George team and how coma inducing boring they were. If Todd Payten plays I think we beat them and then easily account for Easts in the GF.