What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

Why try and compare Mary to the most successful and arguably the best nrl coach ever?
Does that make Flanno a shit coach because bird wants to leave to play for bennett?

Flanno is widely respected. So to are the likes of Robbo, Green & Henry. None in the Bennett or Bellamy stratosphere.

The point is, Mary is not and will never be an enticing factor for any player. Speaks volumes of his ability.

Straight Shooter

Belta

Juniors
Crush said;

Treatment of mann seems to be a big issue. I agree last year was suspect but this year Mann has been in the team doing a job covering a number of positions. He is our utility and he has said himself that that is his role this year
Milne, I don't see any mis-treatment. Lafai and aitken are ahead of him and he has been getting his chance with Aitken out.
Dufty and field are kids and are learning their craft on the lower grades. If field gets 15 minutes from time to time off the bench thats good experience.
Let me ask you Possm, are you happy with your team playing a tough exciting brand of footy and competing every single week? Are you happy with the team moral being high and players playing out of their skins to keep their spots with young talent knocking down the door?
Some good points raised, but I do feel Mann and Milne have not rewarded for their performances over last year and this year, and I feel the coach is not good with forward planning, giving Dufty a run at fullback is one example...Mcrone's poor kicking performances are seemingly ignored....all in all, the team are happy and doing well...and it would be remiss not to acknowledge the coach for that...a fair assessment would be he's got some things right and some things wrong

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Flanno is widely respected. So to are the likes of Robbo, Green & Henry. None in the Bennett or Bellamy stratosphere.

The point is, Mary is not and will never be an enticing factor for any player. Speaks volumes of his ability.

Straight Shooter
you must be burning up this year witnessing the saints playing good footy. first in attack top 4 after this week and you're still crying? we had benji in the halves last year say no more we had the worst hooker in the clubs history. go support another team please. Straight Shooter

Crush

Coach

Straight Shooter
As long as he has our team playing well I couldn't care less if he is inspiring players to leave their clubs to play under him.

If he gets the extension I would hope that he looks closely at Field or Dufty and try to give them some time in first grade, off the bench.
One of the league sites said that Laffai is in talks with us regarding an extension.
If he is wrapped up and Mann also it would be as Coach says, moving forward
Why does he has to wait until he gets an extension?
He should do what's right for the club right now - put his job on the line and back the youngsters.
This fence sitting vacillation is very negative and does nothing for Field sitting on the bench waiting for a crack.

possm

Coach
Treatment of mann seems to be a big issue. I agree last year was suspect but this year Mann has been in the team doing a job covering a number of positions. He is our utility and he has said himself that that is his role this year
Milne, I don't see any mis-treatment. Lafai and aitken are ahead of him and he has been getting his chance with Aitken out.
Dufty and field are kids and are learning their craft on the lower grades. If field gets 15 minutes from time to time off the bench thats good experience.
Let me ask you Possm, are you happy with your team playing a tough exciting brand of footy and competing every single week? Are you happy with the team moral being high and players playing out of their skins to keep their spots with young talent knocking down the door?
Are you sure the players and team as a whole would not be run even better under a top line coach. We have a good squad and we have had a good squad for years. The squad changes for the better each year hopfully however, the main thing driving our success this year is a change in playing syle and game plans. Which means we could have been successful in past years if Mary did not insist on his failed ideas of plans that could not be implemented by the players.

The greatest problem within our Club is that no one is ever held accountable for their failings. Not the Board, not the CEO, not recruitment, not management and not the coaching staff. To reward Mary for his failings in past years sends a message that you won't be accountable for mistakes and poor achievement.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Just get it signed to end the Laurie Daley rumours and speculation. In this case it's better the devil you know! Hats off to Mary and his coaching team in 2017 its a remarkable turnaround so far........loving the exciting A instead of the dour old D terminology.

j0nesy

Bench
We were terrible last year, an absolute train wreck to watch. It's still in the back of my mind that that had a lot to do with Mary. This season we are much improved, but im still concerned by Mary's use of the bench and ability to identify and nurture potential. I would wait until the end of the season, and if that improves, I'd consider offering him a one or two year contract. But I have to say I would still prefer a coach change at this stage, I haven't seen enough to erase the massive failings of last season.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
So you are one of the few people happy with Mary's selection decisions and bench management.

Also happy with his stoush with Millward over the centre/fullback debacle.

Happy with his decisions to use the 'up and in defensive structure without considerations of exposing our far edge on both sides of the field, leading to losses against the Eels and Storm this season.

And happy with his treatment of Mann, Milne and promising juniors Dufty, Field, Lawrie and Kerr this season.

I hope it's not true and if it is, it's time for fans to rise up and get rid of this incompetent administration at St George Illawarra.

There is no logical reason for the Club to extend Mary at this time, in fact there is a logical reason for delaying that decision till end of season.

Possm, there is no bigger critic of Mary than I.
I was always the first one to hammer him in the past, but I think in this case you're nit picking.
As I said, if he takes us to a top 4 spot (which will only be decided at the end of the season) then I think it's worth giving him the extension, even if it's only another year or so. Because let's face it, what's the alternative? Laurie Daley? Tim Sheens? There is no-one out there right now who I see as an 'upgrade' so to speak. I would be happy to look at alternatives if there was someone better on the market but right now, there isn't.

At the present moment, it looks like the players are playing for Mary, as bizarre as that seems. Melbourne and Parramatta were amazing against us, on that day they would have beaten any team in the competition. In recent weeks we have lost by less than 4 points with two of our best players out, that is a massive achievement.
Yes we have a defending technique that can be found out from time to time, but right now we are sitting 5th on the ladder (should be 2nd) and we have the most points scored of any team in the NRL. If this continues, Mary's case to stay is strong. As much as I HATE to admit that, I can't look past it.

However, anything less than top 4 he's gone in my eyes.

hazzbeen

Bench
We were terrible last year, an absolute train wreck to watch. It's still in the back of my mind that that had a lot to do with Mary. This season we are much improved, but im still concerned by Mary's use of the bench and ability to identify and nurture potential. I would wait until the end of the season, and if that improves, I'd consider offering him a one or two year contract. But I have to say I would still prefer a coach change at this stage, I haven't seen enough to erase the massive failings of last season.
Mate agree , why extend now ? what happens if over the next few games we slide down the ladder ( dont want that to happen ) . There will be an uproar that we have signed Mary for another 2 years . Yea things seem to be coming together after 2 bad years , and we all get exited , but hay lets just wait and see .

What about our defence out wide - against Paramatta and Melbourne we were cut to ribbons by their speed men.
I would love to be proven wrong, but I don;t think that we can't win a Grand Final with Mary at the helm

barry

Juniors
Where there is smoke there is fire. Dragons will rightly re-sign McGregor. None of us beleived it would happen but then how could you forsee the incredible turn around of form. Mary has the players firing on all cylinders. And despite all of the criticism about player selection he has been pretty well spot on with his teams.
I still cannot beleive Lafai is playing the way he is! And KFFL was the right call last week.
Hats off Mary, here is to a big 2017 and beyond!

Yep I agree.

What about the call to start Tim Lafai? After Milne finished the year strong, Lafai finished the year in reserve grade.

Mary made the call to start Lafai, I assure you not one person on this forum would have had Lafai in there side. No one would of picked him ahead of Milne.

I'm still critical on our teams kicking game, it's been the only let down so far, Mary needs to address this

barry

Juniors
What about our defence out wide - against Paramatta and Melbourne we were cut to ribbons by their speed men.
I would love to be proven wrong, but I don;t think that we can't win a Grand Final with Mary at the helm

I still think Mary has a long way to go, but his definitely shown improvements

BringTheNoise

Juniors
you must be burning up this year witnessing the saints playing good footy. first in attack top 4 after this week and you're still crying? we had benji in the halves last year say no more we had the worst hooker in the clubs history. go support another team please. Straight Shooter

It's obvious that what is burning him up is the likelihood that we won't be winning a premiership anytime soon. Are we playing some good footy? Absolutely. Do we have the fire power to go all the way and beat teams like Broncos, Storm etc in a Grand Final? Probably not.

Mark D

Juniors
He does deserve it.... You can see the players are not only playing for each other but they are playing for their coach.... too often the critical arm chair brigade has too much to say.... if saints keep this going Mary is a strong contender for coach of the year

deansykes

Juniors
One of the main differences is JD leaving for Bronco's, maybe conflicting ideas of how to achieve the desired result caused drama?

Ayoub moved on to Newcastle... maybe his ideas are dated and pickworth and co have breathed life in to the team?

Also saying that Mary can't attract top players - but he can certainly attract talent and also get the best out of them - aka McInnes, Vaughan. Plus Hunt is considered a top half... I guess he has some pulling power?

The team's style of play even if we don't end up in a top 4 position has been inspiring also, which can only improve with a halves combination next year that can take 5th tackle options rather than kicking the ball in to the backs of their own players...?

When is a good time to re-sign Mary? I think the performances and team song at the end of each victory speaks volumes of how the club and Mary is tracking... why risk being undercut by other clubs (souths come to mind with Madge skating on thin ice) with no better options available in the foreseeable future?

Not making statements, just asking the questions... feel free to troll me all you want, i need something to get through this hangover today