What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

CarrrnDragons

Juniors
End of the day as with any signing, if not resigning Mary who has got us to top 5 (much better than almost anyone expected) who else should we sign??
Mary seems to have the respect of the players, just not the experts in this forum..

possm

Coach
Just get it signed to end the Laurie Daley rumours and speculation. In this case it's better the devil you know! Hats off to Mary and his coaching team in 2017 its a remarkable turnaround so far........loving the exciting A instead of the dour old D terminology.
Do you now feel you know Millward. Would it be better to have devil Mary, devil Millward or angel Mage?

possm

Coach
Yep I agree.

What about the call to start Tim Lafai? After Milne finished the year strong, Lafai finished the year in reserve grade.

Mary made the call to start Lafai, I assure you not one person on this forum would have had Lafai in there side. No one would of picked him ahead of Milne.

I'm still critical on our teams kicking game, it's been the only let down so far, Mary needs to address this
I'm afraid not many on here were there to witness Lafai's great effort at boot camp. It also helps when your contract is up and needs to be extended. Lafai is the Clubs best left centre this season. He should have been signed by now. Why the delay in getting around to this.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I'm afraid not many on here were there to witness Lafai's great effort at boot camp. It also helps when your contract is up and needs to be extended. Lafai is the Clubs best left centre this season. He should have been signed by now. Why the delay in getting around to this.

Possm you must've run the most proactive and faultless business.

Agree Lafai has been easily a class above this year at left centre, we are 10 weeks in. He was rubbish for 2 years. So firstly good on Mary for some reason picking him (he saw something we didn't) but also Millward hasn't rushed and re-signed based on 3-4 games. Could be they are finalising terms. Maybe the player manager was holding off.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As many have said, regardless how Mary performs this season, we should wait to see how we fit into the finals.

He's not going anywhere, He doesn't look like he's going anywhere ............. tell him straight up, we'll be making a decision come the close of season.

Sure, we'd all like to know where our next job is but after nearly 40 years in the building trade, I'm still no closer to knowing where my next client is. You just keep doing your work to the best of your ability. As they say in the classics ................ build it and they will come.

If Mary delivers a decent season, a contract should be forthcoming ............... providing of course, there are no internal issues with Millward and alike.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
On signing with Broncs, Bird was quoted as saying :

“I feel like I’m yet to play my best football. I feel like if I go to Brisbane I could possibly accomplish that playing under Wayne.

That was the main factor. I could go up there and develop myself as a player and person and try and play my best football.

I feel like going up there, I can do that.”

Please tell me which player in their right mind (even when one factors in the low intellect inherent in the rugby league pool generally) would say, could say, any such thing about Mary.

Straight Shooter

Ben Hunt dopy

ALSGI

Bench
As many have said, regardless how Mary performs this season, we should wait to see how we fit into the finals.

He's not going anywhere, He doesn't look like he's going anywhere ............. tell him straight up, we'll be making a decision come the close of season.

Sure, we'd all like to know where our next job is but after nearly 40 years in the building trade, I'm still no closer to knowing where my next client is. You just keep doing your work to the best of your ability. As they say in the classics ................ build it and they will come.

If Mary delivers a decent season, a contract should be forthcoming ............... providing of course, there are no internal issues with Millward and alike.
Agree with most, Mary deserves credit for the teams performance so far, but it's hard to wipe the last 2 years of shit and there's no rush to extend him. I think an extension should be announced on the eve of a Semi Final.
Lafai's in the same boat, hard to wipe two years of shit, difference being his great form this year means he'll get plenty of offers elsewhere.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree with most, Mary deserves credit for the teams performance so far, but it's hard to wipe the last 2 years of shit and there's no rush to extend him. I think an extension should be announced on the eve of a Semi Final.
Lafai's in the same boat, hard to wipe two years of shit, difference being his great form this year means he'll get plenty of offers elsewhere.

Agreed mate, although l'm now starting to feel some concern that if Daley gets flogged in Orgin, Doust may see him as a lapdog for Millard to control, thus offloading Mary.

I can say now that Mary doesn't excite me in any way but Daley would have me fiddling for the Valium.

brokendigit

Juniors
Flanno is widely respected. So to are the likes of Robbo, Green & Henry. None in the Bennett or Bellamy stratosphere.

The point is, Mary is not and will never be an enticing factor for any player. Speaks volumes of his ability.

Straight Shooter
How can you predict that McGregor will never have the ability to attract players from other clubs at some point in the future? Did Bellamy or WB start out by winning premierships? WB was Sheens' understudy for God's sake. If McGregor can deliver a top 6 spot this year, and improve again in 2018, I think he'll have served his club well, and be well on his way to becoming a high-calibre coach.

BennyV

Referee
You don't see the correlation?
I see the attempt, but Marshall is not classed with the others, who all received higher salaries at their new clubs and were all wanted to be kept (despite the various rumours/innuendo around their individual circumstances).

Marshall had his offer pulled off the table, was not wanted by the club and is now a 4th string half playing reserve grade.

denis preston

First Grade
Club Management continues to display signs of very weak leadership.

Two internationals just announced they are leaving and you don't just replace that talent. People on here say we have cap issues which is laughable when you look at top tier squads and how they manage the cap and TPA's.

Yes let's rush to sign Mary just like they did Price mid season.

Great strategy by the old boys club because signing him keeps all their jobs safe.

My dad and Frank must be turning hard in their graves. In the golden years we never reappointed a coach until season end and we replaced Coaches even after getting us a premiership because we had better options. That is why we kept winning. We always picked the best team on the day and the best coach at season start.

What a sad club we have become. So corrupt and in-bred.

The golden years you refer was helped by the fact that the district was full of young familys so the junior element was the strongest ever , had more money to spend than any other club , only 10 teams all from Sydney & there was no salary cap , so a bit of perspective here please.

How can you predict that McGregor will never have the ability to attract players from other clubs at some point in the future? Did Bellamy or WB start out by winning premierships? WB was Sheens' understudy for God's sake. If McGregor can deliver a top 6 spot this year, and improve again in 2018, I think he'll have served his club well, and be well on his way to becoming a high-calibre coach.

A coach can only serve a club well if said coach has the inherent ability to deliver a premiership. Dopey has no such ability.

But he's good at painting and riding jet skis.

Straight Shooter