What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

Crush

Coach
Sensible post Crush and I agree with almost all of it but the real issue is if we fall off the perch this season (not injury induced) then why would we want Mary for 3 more years especially if our roster is any weakened from what it is right now?
The club has a situation by which it can wait in respect of re signing him why not avail yourself of that opportunity?
I guess in an ideal world the club would wait until after the season to see exactly what Mary produces to see if he warrants a contract extension or not. Surely it is more complex than that though? Even though Mary is clearly not a coach in demand he would still have some weight with regards to pushing for the extension.
There must also be a breaking point for Mary where he would get frustrated without having his future secure and that may affect his output. Like any job I guess.
The club would want harmony and with Mary re-signed and all the players behind him it could be the push we need heading into the back half of the season.
I can see it from both sides I guess is what I am saying.

Old Timer

Coach
I guess in an ideal world the club would wait until after the season to see exactly what Mary produces to see if he warrants a contract extension or not. Surely it is more complex than that though? Even though Mary is clearly not a coach in demand he would still have some weight with regards to pushing for the extension.
There must also be a breaking point for Mary where he would get frustrated without having his future secure and that may affect his output. Like any job I guess.
The club would want harmony and with Mary re-signed and all the players behind him it could be the push we need heading into the back half of the season.
I can see it from both sides I guess is what I am saying.
Interesting analogy and don't necessarily agree / disagree with it but what if we applied that type of logic to the Dugan scenario?
Not highly in demand but existing runs on the board ad looking for job security but in respect of time there has to be a breaking point and worried that frustration might be building.
Interesting that Mary and Duges both wanted to be part of the club ongoing but the club dragged its feet with no clear answer for months.

Crush

Coach
Interesting analogy and don't necessarily agree / disagree with it but what if we applied that type of logic to the Dugan scenario?
Not highly in demand but existing runs on the board ad looking for job security but in respect of time there has to be a breaking point and worried that frustration might be building.
Interesting that Mary and Duges both wanted to be part of the club ongoing but the club dragged its feet with no clear answer for months.
Yeah not sure that the club dragged its feet with dugan. I think that they made an offer, under what he wanted, and they stuck strong to that offer. Eventually Dugan got a better offer and will leave.
Honestly, they spent their money on their halves and couldn't justify spending another big chunk on dugan.
They probably had to make the decision Widdop or Dugan months ago and correctly, IMO, chose widdop.
Cannot blame Dugan for leaving but I guess, hopelessly, I thought he might stay for slightly less money for the love of the club.
I see Mary as a different scenario altogether. Nobody will sign him in nrl but its more about harmony going forward. He is very important to 2017.
Dugan, we could lose him now and still be very competitive.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
The club didnt really drag its feet with dugsy, they were just.like a bloke who likes a particular girl he never got to asking to go out with him because she was ugly.

So it dragged on and on until a desperate 3rd party solved his dilemma and took her off his hands.

12 months later he is seen out with a beautiful new girl.

New signing coming.....

Old Timer

Coach
The club didnt really drag its feet with dugsy, they were just.like a bloke who likes a particular girl he never got to asking to go out with him because she was ugly.

So it dragged on and on until a desperate 3rd party solved his dilemma and took her off his hands.

12 months later he is seen out with a beautiful new girl.

New signing coming.....
Why?

saintsarealive1

Juniors
My response was to Possm who said Millward should've recognised in January that Hutch was out for the season and recruited a FG ready half. Which re-thinking it is as silly to me now as it was when I first read it.

I'm all for giving someone in our club a chance.

Mary believed McCrone playing alongside Widdop would be fine.

And it is.

Widdops injury is a small hiccup....back soon....roll on season

There were no decent halves available on the market when Hutchs injury occurred.

Mary backed what he had in the club at his disposal.

Good on him

We are near the top.

Its worked out well

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Agree entirely. So when is Mary going to put the future of the club he loves first and look to the future. Fullback Field/ Mann /Dufty /Garrick certainly has the size or Marsters. Certainly the time is right while we are not playing Brisbane or Melbourne soon.
A proven test player and a very mentally tough player like Nighty who happens to be our second best FB in the club is the right decision for now.

The time for others will come

Old Timer

Coach
Huhhh...Why what?
Simple why do you say we are signing a new FB?
The man some people insist on defending namely Millward emphatically said Field is the 2018 FB.
If you believe he is so good at his job then accept his word and let's move on.
He hasn't announced anybody from within to replace Packer so let's discuss that seeing there is no definitive plan re props.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Simple why do you say we are signing a new FB?
The man some people insist on defending namely Millward emphatically said Field is the 2018 FB.
If you believe he is so good at his job then accept his word and let's move on.
He hasn't announced anybody from within to replace Packer so let's discuss that seeing there is no definitive plan re props.

We are not specifically signing a new fullback.

We are signing a good player who is yards faster than Dugan, and is capable of playing 1,3,4,5.

Now....the player that WILL get to play our Number 1 will come from the new signing, Field and Dufty.

If Field makes the grade and is selected Number 1, the new signing will fight it out for positions 2, 3,4, 5.

You dont like depth?

Depth wins titles.

Now, as far as our props are concerned, we have a ton of talent coming through.

We may sign a new one, that can wait till August onwards.

Old Timer

Coach
We are not specifically signing a new fullback.

We are signing a good player who is yards faster than Dugan, and is capable of playing 1,3,4,5.

Now....the player that WILL get to play our Number 1 will come from the new signing, Field and Dufty.

If Field makes the grade and is selected Number 1, the new signing will fight it out for positions 2, 3,4, 5.

You dont like depth?

Depth wins titles.

Now, as far as our props are concerned, we have a ton of talent coming through.

We may sign a new one, that can wait till August onwards.
So you are now saying we have no depth in our current backs?
Based on the fact that Mann cannot land a permanent 1st grade spot because we already have several centres too many and will lose at least 1 and we already have too many wingers with more coming through so why are we buying any backs at all?
You think Nighty is OK at FB for now but not for next year?
I think people are a little sign player crazy or maybe you just don't rate Mann and see no spot for him?

saintsarealive1

Juniors
So you are now saying we have no depth in our current backs?
Based on the fact that Mann cannot land a permanent 1st grade spot because we already have several centres too many and will lose at least 1 and we already have too many wingers with more coming through so why are we buying any backs at all?
You think Nighty is OK at FB for now but not for next year?
I think people are a little sign player crazy or maybe you just don't rate Mann and see no spot for him?

Oh my god.

Dugan went.

Replacing one back.

One for one.

Clubs decision.

If you dont like it, apply to be their recruitment manager.

We have depth yes.....but we are signing a bloody match winner who will help take us to the level of the purple cheating storm and rorters!

Chill out.

Old Timer

Coach
Oh my god.

Dugan went.

Replacing one back.

One for one.

Clubs decision.

If you dont like it, apply to be their recruitment manager.

We have depth yes.....but we are signing a bloody match winner who will help take us to the level of the purple cheating storm and rorters!

Chill out.
Your analogy makes no sense.
You say that the FB will be either Dufty, Field or the new player who is not necessarily a FB but is versatile (ala Mann).
Dugan is the current FB so if he is replaced by Field or Dufty then that is a straight exchange.
So therefore you are bringing in another back to play 2,3,4 or 5.
Those positions are currently filled with other players not Dugan.
Therefore you have to shed another back as you have already replaced Dugan 1 for 1.
So which back (2,3,4,5) in the current line up is not a match winner and which one you are going to release to accommodate your much heralded match winner and which backs that we have in waiting are you going to tell you have to wait a few years more or piss off?

saintsarealive1

Juniors
You say that the FB will be either Dufty, Field or the new player who is not necessarily a FB but is versatile (ala Mann).
Dugan is the current FB so if he is replaced by Field or Dufty then that is a straight exchange.
Therefore you have to shed another back as you have already replaced Dugan 1 for 1.
So which back (2,3,4,5) in the current line up is not a match winner and which one you are going to release to accommodate your much heralded match winner and which backs that we have in waiting are you going to tell you have to wait a few years more or piss off?
So when we sign this new player......if it was a player like G.I. from 5 years ago who can play FB WING CENTRE, or a player like Lockyer who could play FB FIVE EIGHT HALF, or a player like Moylan who can play FB CENTRE FIVE EIGHT....you telling me you prefer a player who can only play FB.

Wow

I am not responding to any more of your narrow views.....not trying to be rude....but wow!

Old Timer

Coach
So when we sign this new player......if it was a player like G.I. from 5 years ago who can play FB WING CENTRE, or a player like Lockyer who could play FB FIVE EIGHT HALF, or a player like Moylan who can play FB CENTRE FIVE EIGHT....you telling me you prefer a player who can only play FB.

Wow

I am not responding to any more of your narrow views.....not trying to be rude....but wow!
It's not a narrow view it is responding to your constant posting that anew match winner is coming so stop twisting and turning and follow my post carefully.
You are avoiding the issue that someone else other than Dugan needs to be let go to fit your new man in if Field goes to FB as per Millward's statement.
So answer the question if Field or Dufty take ownership of the FB role who is the current 1st grade back that you are letting go to fit your new man in?
Well may he be versatile and cover FB when needed I take that as a given but as he is not going to play there full time someone else needs to vacate a spot so who is it and by all means please give your thoughts on whether Mann fits into the equation?

saintsarealive1

Juniors
It's not a narrow view it is responding to your constant posting that anew match winner is coming so stop twisting and turning and follow my post carefully.
You are avoiding the issue that someone else other than Dugan needs to be let go to fit your new man in if Field goes to FB as per Millward's statement.
So answer the question if Field or Dufty take ownership of the FB role who is the current 1st grade back that you are letting go to fit your new man in?
Well may he be versatile and cover FB when needed I take that as a given but as he is not going to play there full time someone else needs to vacate a spot so who is it and by all means please give your thoughts on whether Mann fits into the equation?

No...you keep saying our club has enough match winners.. well we dont

We have some depth with average to good first grade players.. but in my opinion we are one strike player short

And that was NOT Dugan either

Thats what i posted

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
30 players in a squad when you buy a new player it doesn't necessarily mean you lose one

saintsarealive1

Juniors

Yes....Mann must be here

If Mann wants to be!

Unless another club offers him 100k over

But yes....we should keep him...he is great in my opinion

Old Timer

Coach
No...you keep saying our club has enough match winners.. well we dont

We have some depth with average to good first grade players.. but in my opinion we are one strike player short

And that was NOT Dugan either

Thats what i posted
So answer the simple question.
Who goes out of first grade to fit you match winner in?
Don't say Dugan as he is replaced by Filed according to the recruitment department.
So you have in first grade
Nighty, Lafai, Mann (you said we should keep him), Mc Donald
Don't say Aitken or Milne as they are injured, on the bench or in reggies.
So please enlighten me as to which one goes from our first grade side to fit your import in?