What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would like to see something similar here

T-Boon

Coach
Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Auckland would be great venues and would bid against one another. I would add Newcastle to that if we had a 45k stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope the Perth double header is a big success as I think that is a better model for a country as big as Australia. Magic only works in uk as the fans of every club can travel to it relatively cheaply and easily. If Perth is a hit we could see double headers every year in places like Perth, Adelaide and Wellington hopefully.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would prefer to have say 4 double headers. Say Brisbane/Auckland friday night, Saturday Melbourne/NZ somewhere during the day, then Perth for the later games, then Sydney on the Sunday. It would still be a great festival of football.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I seriously doubt that is the only reason it works. We should get adventurous and try one in the NRL.

The only place it would work is in Sydney, but what would be the point? Do you really think 10,000 fans of every club are going to fly to Perth or Adelaide for the weekend for it? Or do you expect enough locals to be interested to fill the stadium with neutrals for 8 games?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would prefer to have say 4 double headers. Say Brisbane/Auckland friday night, Saturday Melbourne/NZ somewhere during the day, then Perth for the later games, then Sydney on the Sunday. It would still be a great festival of football.

Makes more sense.

Brisbane
Storm v cowboys
Broncos v Titans

Perth
Souths v st's
Roosters v Knights

Wellington
Warriors v Sharks
Manly v Raiders

Sydney
Bulldogs v Eels
Wests v Panthers

T-Boon

Coach
The only place it would work is in Sydney, but what would be the point?

It would work in Melbourne, Brisbane, Newcastle, Auckland, Gold Coast. Definitely not Adelaide. Probably not Perth.

There would be numerous "points". For example we know if the NRL put on events people do turn up. If a game is a non event fans do not turn up. This would be a great event. With all the clubs involved the NRL could actually spend money promoting it. Pay for some entertainment.

The negativity around trying something new in RL is nothing short of painful.

T-Boon

Coach
I've got nothing against double headers. But they have been done before.

We had at least one last year and I didn't even know it was on until the night of it. It just did not get much attention in the lead up.

I think a magic round would be all up in everybody's face for at least the week leading up and probably a lot longer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've got nothing against double headers. But they have been done before.

We had at least one last year and I didn't even know it was on until the night of it. It just did not get much attention in the lead up.

I think a magic round would be all up in everybody's face for at least the week leading up and probably a lot longer.

If it isn't played at a massive stadium you lose a massive amount of ticket sales! But thenyoumhave thenlikelihood of say raiders v manly being played in front of 5k people,whilst everyone nips out to the pub for a beer break, it works in uk as you have sets of fans from the clubs involved rotating through the two days, that wouldn't be the case in Australia for most of the games, you'd be relying on neutrals going along and sitting there for four games a day!

siv

First Grade
Not a fan of double headers as it effects season tickrt holders who pay good money for their halfway line seats

If you want a magic weekend atmosphere

Then its the 7s or 9s

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a fan of double headers as it effects season tickrt holders who pay good money for their halfway line seats

If you want a magic weekend atmosphere

Then its the 7s or 9s

I think most teams, especially Sydney clubs should have ten home games and two scheduled elsewhere, be it regional nsw, interstate non nrl club cities or other nz cities. I say mainly Sydney clubs as your ten home game membership should also get you reciprocal entry to every away game your club plays in Sydney (whilst tickets available). Effectively meaning your membership would be for around 15 Sydney games a year depending on the draw.

Ultimately it would be nice to think one day we would have a 20 team comp with 19 games (every team once) plus a mid season nines tournament, stand alone soo and an extended international calendar. One can but dream......

T-Boon

Coach
Play it at the Gold Coast:

Friday night (double header or single game tickets)
Storm v Knights
(Pearl Jam)
Parramatta v Warriors

Saturday (triple header tickets, double header tickets or single game)
Canberra v Roosters
(The Proclaimers)
Cronulla v Brisbane
(Thirty Odd Foot of Grunt)
Souths v Sea Eagles

Sunday
Cowboys v Bulldogs
(Rage Against the Machine)
Dragons v Panthers
(Macklemore)
Titans v Tigers

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Play it at the Gold Coast:

Friday night (double header or single game tickets)
Storm v Knights
(Pearl Jam)
Parramatta v Warriors

Saturday (triple header tickets, double header tickets or single game)
Canberra v Roosters
(The Proclaimers)
Cronulla v Brisbane
(Thirty Odd Foot of Grunt)
Souths v Sea Eagles

Sunday
Cowboys v Bulldogs
(Rage Against the Machine)
Dragons v Panthers
(Macklemore)
Titans v Tigers

You'd be lucky to sell 40-50k tickets on GC. In my double header example you'd likely be aiming for 140k ticket sales
Perth 30k
Wellington 30k
Brisbane 40k
Anz 40k

Which do you think makes most economic sense?

T-Boon

Coach
Which do you think makes most economic sense?

Mine makes more sense for all sorts of reasons.
Each of yours are big games in their own right. You are just taking advantage of big local rivalries that should be held seperately.
Mine turns a bunch of otherwise ordinary low drawing games into a rugby league extravaganza the likes of which would probably attract state government funding, a sponsorship (Red Bull Magic Round?), big tourism and national sports media attention.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mine makes more sense for all sorts of reasons.
Each of yours are big games in their own right. You are just taking advantage of big local rivalries that should be held seperately.
Mine turns a bunch of otherwise ordinary low drawing games into a rugby league extravaganza the likes of which would probably attract state government funding, a sponsorship (Red Bull Magic Round?), big tourism and national sports media attention.

I think you give the nrl far too much credit, aside from origin, and let's be honest the state rivallary is what sell sthat, the nrl has a pretty terrible track record on these types of events, you are being very optimistic me thinks!

Latest posts