What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Chappell takes aim at old foes Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and Ian Botham

TIGER14

Bench
Ian Chappell takes aim at old foes Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and Ian Botham

HE ranks among Australia’s greatest batsmen and most respected captains but thanks to his brutally honest opinions, Ian Chappell is far from universally loved.

Over his five-decade career as a player and a commentator, Chappell has never been afraid of sharing his thoughts and along the way, he has ruffled more than a few feathers.

In Jeremy Wilshire’s Test of Character: Confessions of Cricket Legends, old wounds are reopened, with Chappell withering in his assessments of the likes of Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and Ian Botham.

CHAPPELL v STEVE WAUGH

Few cricketers command more respect globally than Waugh.

As a captain, he led Australia to 16 straight Test victories, undisputed status as the world’s best team and World Cup glory in 1999. He was seen as one of the game’s toughest players, revered for his no-nonsense attitude and his hard-nosed captaincy.

But that didn’t protect him from Chappell, who accused Waugh of being a selfish cricketer in 1999 when he took over as Australia’s captain.

It was an accusation Waugh found bemusing but one that Chappell still stands by, taking things a step further by labelling Waugh the “most selfish Australian cricketer” he has ever seen. He wasn’t the greatest fan of his captaincy either.

“But the thing I couldn’t abide with Steve was that he was such a selfish cricketer,” Chappell said in Test of Character.

“When he came out and said this was to be his last season, so he could have the grand tour and get all the accolades and all of that s**t, he called Damien Martyn through for a ridiculous run at the Gabba. Damien should have just stayed where he was and Steve would have been run out by miles. Disgraceful. That’s just a minor example but there are many, many examples.

“I shouldn’t say he’s the most selfish cricketer I’ve ever seen because he’s not, but he’s certainly the most selfish Australian cricketer I’ve ever seen.”

Chappell does not give much credence to Waugh’s reliance on psychological and verbal pressure to bring about “mental disintegration”.

“The difference with the modern game is that I keep reading that it’s (sledging) all part of the game – players, umpires, administrators, they all say it. That’s total bulls**t. And what really annoys me is when it’s premeditated,” Chappell said.

“Darren Lehmann says, ‘We’ve got to get under their noses and play aggressive cricket’. Well, the two most aggressive fast bowlers I ever played against, Snow and Roberts, never said one word to me and I never said one word to them.

“But, mate, I knew I was in one hell of a contest! Anything said on the field in my time was heat of the moment – that’s going to happen because you’ve got two teams trying like s**t to win. It’s up to the umpires to step in, or to speak to the captain to sort things out if a fast bowler is off his face. And the umpire should come to me because, as captain, I should know my players and know how to handle them. But this premeditated stuff, Steve Waugh’s ‘mental disintegration’ … it’s total bulls**t.”

CHAPPELL v DON BRADMAN

Bradman and the Chappell family never did get along.

Despite being the greatest batsman in history, Bradman was a divisive figure in the dressing room, repeatedly clashing with Jack Fingleton, Bill O’Reilly and Victor Richardson, who was grandfather of Ian, Greg and Trevor Chappell

A generation later, Chappell clashed heads with the Don himself.

With Australia’s cricketers battling for a pay rise, captain Chappell approached Bradman, who was chairman of the Australian Cricket Board to plead his case. He believed Bradman would be open to his arguments, having himself had a dispute with the cricket board of his time over financial matters.

“Bradman lied to me and the other problem I had with him was that because I came from a cricketing family, I knew his history, in that he’d had problems with the Board and some of those problems were over finance,” Chappell said.

“So, I went to Bradman mistakenly thinking there would be empathy there when I was fighting for better pay and conditions for my players. But it was totally the opposite – it was as though I was asking him to spend his own money.”

CHAPPELL v IAN BOTHAM

Chappell and Botham share a colourful history.

The pair famously clashed in a bar in Melbourne in 1977 and things got physical. How physical is another question, with the two men both providing vastly different accounts of what happened.

According to Botham, he landed a punch on Chappell that knocked him off his chair and into a crowd of footy players before chasing him out of the bar. According to Chappell, he was pushed out of his chair, threatened with a glass and left the bar calmly while his teammates held Botham back.

Thirty-three years later the pair clashed again in a carpark during the fourth Ashes Test at Adelaide Oval in 2010. Going by what Chappell had to say in Test of Character, the animosity between the pair remains as high as ever.

“Botham? I don’t have anything in common with Ian Botham. I thought he was gutless as a cricketer for the little bit that I played against him, of the long-term commentators he’s the worst by so far it doesn’t matter, and I find him a very boring human being,” Chappell said.

“I’ve got no intention of making up with him unless he wants to apologise for making up lies about me. He and the truth have a very distant relationship. I don’t see that one ever repairing; certainly not from my side.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...m/news-story/7e6b1567ccd3f3127148fc1adc1c8b4b

TIGER14

Bench
My favourite part was this:

"of the long-term commentators he’s (Botham) the worst by so far it doesn’t matter, and I find him a very boring human being."

Imagine Chappelli talking crap about someone else's commentary and calling them boring.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What a pathetic bitter old Merkin, calls Steve Waugh the most selfish cricketer ever. I don't remember Waugh picking and choosing when he wanted to play for Australia unlike his brother who pulled out numerous times when the team needed him because he was too tired or had business to take care of. I don't remember Waugh carrying on like a pork chop when he was dropped threatening to retire and thinking he was above the team like his great mate Warne did in 99. I also don't remember him taking money from Indian bookmakers for pitch and weather reports like Warne and his brother did.

He thinks he's a hero for standing up to the Don over player payments but the bloke he thinks who is the most selfish ever also did the same thing with Healy and May while his commentary Box chum Taylor stuck his tongue fair up the boards clacker back in 97. Full well knowing speaking out could cost him the captaincy one day.

But yeah Waugh most selfish ever.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bradman was a cheap prick but it's a long time to hold a grudge lol.
The feud is a family one and goes back to the 30's. Chappelis grand father lost the captaincy to Bradman in 36/7 after him captaining an unbeaten tour to South Africa in 35 when Bradman was ill. Vic never played again and he blamed Bradman even though he was in his mid 30's and never a test quality players arsehole.

My grandfather told me the the best thing about his game was his Fielding lol. My pop was hard but fair :sunglasses:

Incorrect

Coach
My favourite part was this:

"of the long-term commentators he’s (Botham) the worst by so far it doesn’t matter, and I find him a very boring human being."

Imagine Chappelli talking crap about someone else's commentary and calling them boring.

Yeah I posted almost the exact same thing in the "Least Favouriet Commentator" Thread where I posted this article earlier this morning...

As usual, nothing new from Chappell, just the same old anecdotes we've all heard over and over for the last 30-40 years about how when he was captain, blah blah blah.....

What sort of demographic is this book going to appeal to? The only people I could think of who might enjoy this book would be people suffering Alzeimhers as they might have forgotten they've heard/read all this shit before.....

Incorrect

Coach
The feud is a family one and goes back to the 30's. Chappelis grand father lost the captaincy to Bradman in 36/7 after him captaining an unbeaten tour to South Africa in 35 when Bradman was ill. Vic never played again and he blamed Bradman even though he was in his mid 30's and never a test quality players arsehole.

My grandfather told me the the best thing about his game was his Fielding lol. My pop was hard but fair :sunglasses:

Sounds a bit like former English skipper ike Brearly.... best thing about his game was his tactics, his batting was Shaun Marsh-esque (at best!)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sounds a bit like former English skipper ike Brearly.... best thing about his game was his tactics, his batting was Shaun Marsh-esque (at best!)
Vics test batting average was about 23-4. So Brearley is a fair comparison. But but but Bradman.

Bazal

Post Whore
Despite the fact he was technically born 3 years too early, Chappell is the archetypal baby boomer IMO.

-Completely out of touch with reality
-Thinks only his opinions matter
-Will not shut up about those opinions despite no one wanting to hear them
-Everything was better in his day
-Easily confused and enraged by the modern world
-Can't understand why people don't just do things his way

Whatever people may have thought about Steve Waugh on the field (and really, sledging was probably the only major point of contention with him as a cricketer) he's proven himself to be one of the most selfless human beings around and has moved on from his cricket career, using his position to make an actual difference in the world. Bradman, whatever faults he may have had, earned many peoples' respect as he grew older and as he too moved on from his time as a cricketer. I can't say I know a lot about Botham but he's a pretty good commentator who understands the game and understands that it has moved on, something Chappell can't seem to grasp.

Ian Chappell, in the meantime, is a sad, pathetic old man desperately clinging to the relevance he once had as an Australian cricketer. Whether through dementia, stupidity, or because he was vastly overrated in the first place, he shows barely any understanding of the game and refuses to believe that it has moved on in the decades since he played. Worst of all, he's a complete and utter hypocrite.

Incorrect

Coach
What I find ironic about his feelings towards Botham is that on the surface, they appear to be pretty similar personalities. Both are from that old school, "play it hard, but sink a carton together after the day's play" mentality and both are forthright with their opinions, not afraid of putting noses out of joint.... And if you take Chappelli's viewpoint, Botham is a shit commentator, much like Chappell himself!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Since when has Ian been ranked one of our greatest batsmen? Greg yes, but ian Chappell no.
And the myth about Chappell being a great captain is just that and he's been living off it for years.

Petty, prick of a man.

TIGER14

Bench
chappelli.png

some11

Referee
Have I told you about the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville?

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

JJ

Immortal
Since when has Ian been ranked one of our greatest batsmen? Greg yes, but ian Chappell no.
And the myth about Chappell being a great captain is just that and he's been living off it for years.

Petty, prick of a man.

Depends on what you consider greatest - he's was an outstanding test #3 in a era that was pretty difficult to score runs - it's funny stuff though, he and Harvey (another great) have earned the right to have opinions and express them - it lacks a bit of class, but he's not the only petty prick amongst old great cricketers - just a vocal one LOL

hineyrulz

Post Whore
An average of 42 hardly classes him in the all time great category. And he dodged the West Indies at their peak bar 3 tests in 79/80.

Unlike Border who had to play the Merkins his whole career. Plus a very good Pakistan attack and a strong England. And NZ had Paddles and even India had Kapil. Hardly in the same class as a batsman as his brother.

JJ

Immortal
No, in the eras I've seen he's behind Greg Chappell, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh - that's about it though (potentially have missed someone obvious) - Smith in the future I guess, anyway I rate him - averages aren't the only measure, Neil Harvey's is low too - but I'd have them every day of the week ahead of the likes of Clarke