What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Chappell takes aim at old foes Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and Ian Botham

gregstar

Referee
chappelli has echoed warne's sentiment.

he felt that warne should have been the captain & not waugh.
warne himself believed this & obviously still resents waugh for his dropping of warne in the west indies in 99'.

i agree that on-field warne probably would have been more astute.

but the role of australian cricket captain is more than simply an on-field general. the captain of australia's number 1 representative team needs to be an ambassador off the field. warne was a disgrace off it. he was & still is a soap opera.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Warne as a tactician and a potential captain is hugely overrated. The games I saw him in the role, and admittedly it was very few relatively speaking, he was borderline inept. That aside, he was as you say a disgraceful bloke, a divisive personality, an incredibly selfish and impetuous cricketer and completely uninterested in making peace or managing men. None of those are traits of a leader, and I don't think anyone would say with a straight face that Shane Warne was a genuine leader. Well, except Shane Warne. He would have been a god awful captain IMO

Waugh was for mine the best Aussie captain I've seen. He was an underrated tactician...granted, he wasn't Mark Taylor or Michael Clarke in the tactics department but he was also far from poor. He was definitely a genuine leader. I think people overlook that about his captaincy. Yeah he had a fantastic side to work with, but he also a ridiculous batch of egos to manage and control into something resembling a team. Damien Martyn, Mark Waugh, Matt Hayden, Shane Warne, Michael Slater....one or two of those walking egos could derail a side off the field, and he managed many of them together....

Reactions: JJ

gregstar

Referee
mark taylor was the best captain i've seen, brilliant on & off the field. in fact probably the best media performer we've ever had.

but my favorite however, was allan border by a mile. the naming of the ab medal is the perfect tribute to possibly the most important captain we've ever had.

chappelli may have been instrumental in improving the lot of australian cricketers but allan border single handedly dragged us out of the absolute doldrums. no captain of australia has ever endured what he endured. he is my cricketing hero by a long, long way. the toughest man to ever stroll onto a field representing australia.

Bazal

Post Whore
By the time I really cared about cricket, Taylor was captain and had been for a while. I love the idea of AB as this lion hearted hard arse cricketer and that's something that I also saw in Steve Waugh....Waugh just didn't have the struggles that AB did, but he was certainly moulded much more by AB than he was Taylor. He also had that icy calmness about him no matter the situation. I doubt even AB was mental enough to deliberately fire up Curtly Ambrose, haha

I'd probably feel the same about AB had I seen him play much.

Chapelli isn't fit to tie AB or Tuggas laces IMO. It must burn him that Steve Waugh is remembered so fondly and has made such a huge difference in the world, anf that makes me quite happy....lol

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Despite the fact he was technically born 3 years too early, Chappell is the archetypal baby boomer IMO.

-Completely out of touch with reality
-Thinks only his opinions matter
-Will not shut up about those opinions despite no one wanting to hear them
-Everything was better in his day
-Easily confused and enraged by the modern world
-Can't understand why people don't just do things his way

Whatever people may have thought about Steve Waugh on the field (and really, sledging was probably the only major point of contention with him as a cricketer) he's proven himself to be one of the most selfless human beings around and has moved on from his cricket career, using his position to make an actual difference in the world. Bradman, whatever faults he may have had, earned many peoples' respect as he grew older and as he too moved on from his time as a cricketer. I can't say I know a lot about Botham but he's a pretty good commentator who understands the game and understands that it has moved on, something Chappell can't seem to grasp.

Ian Chappell, in the meantime, is a sad, pathetic old man desperately clinging to the relevance he once had as an Australian cricketer. Whether through dementia, stupidity, or because he was vastly overrated in the first place, he shows barely any understanding of the game and refuses to believe that it has moved on in the decades since he played. Worst of all, he's a complete and utter hypocrite.

Quoted for truth.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tugger made players better, hence why we were so dominant

Hayden and Langer in particular. Im not sure which one but one of them basically doesn't think much of Taylor when they were in his side, but credit Tugger a lot to their success. This is probably as important to anything else being a captain.

The Australian cricket captain is the 2nd most puplic and prestigious role in Australia. The prime ministership is no1. With that and as gregstar had mentioned, you need to carry yourself outside the playing surface. Warne would have been (still is) a disgrace in that area. Im confident he would not have had the same success as Tugger had, had he been captain.

As far as Ian Chappell goes, all I have to say to the old bitter fart is - LOL

gregstar

Referee
I doubt even AB was mental enough to deliberately fire up Curtly Ambrose, haha

our tour of the west indies in 83/84.

he virtually took the brunt of one of their finest ever attacks in their backyard.

garner, holding, marshall & co.

he was the leading run scorer of either side with 500. no other aussie batsman reached half of that.

in one of the games he scored or 100 & 98no to save the game when the entire team simply folded around him. jeff dujon called that performance the bravest he'd seen on a cricket field & said ab missing out on the double tons for the match was also the most disappointing.

i was a fan of steve waugh but he had possibly our best ever team at his disposal. allan border only had gumbys when he started out & turned them into the mentally tough, well-drilled team that taylor & waugh inherited.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

he virtually took the brunt of one of their finest ever attacks in their backyard.

he was the leading run scorer of either side with 500. no other aussie batsman reached half of that.

in one of the games he scored or 100 & 98no to save the game when the entire team simply folded around him. jeff dujon called that performance the bravest he'd seen on a cricket field & said ab missing out on the double tons for the match was also the most disappointing.

i was a fan of steve waugh but he had possibly our best ever team at his disposal. allan border only had gumbys when he started out & turned them into the mentally tough, well-drilled team that taylor & waugh inherited.
Dean Jones made his test debut in that game and made 48, he reckons it was his best innings ever. What does that say about Border's effort?? He would average 60 in today's game quite easily. He played his whole career against the West Indies machine. And averaged over 40 against them. Tugga was my favourite player as a kid but my old man Absolutely loved AB. A true legend of Australian Cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore

Oh no doubt AB was a tough merkin. I was talking about the sweat band incident....AB was tough, but he wasn't crazy!

gUt

Coach
As a kid in the 80s, Border was a god. His aura rubbed off on some other universally loved (among my mates) and admired cricketers - Steve Waugh, Craig McDermott, Dean Jones and David Boon. I remember being confused as to why Taylor got the nod over Waugh; he seemed to be the obvious choice at the time.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The difference between AB and Tugga was that AB basically carried the team from 1984 to 1989 inheriting a team in disarray from the Hughes era (who was undermined by chappellsl's mates lillee and marsh) and ripped open from the SA rebel tours.

Waugh inherited a team that was already on top and about to get better with the addition of Gilchrist.

As a captain AB led by inspiration. Tugga made the team realise how good they were and to be ruthless, it could be said the deeds of that team were payback for what AB went through against the poms and windies especially.

Two great players if I could only choose one I'd go AB.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Just on AB...

A truly great captain and leader.

Arguably Australia's 2nd greatest batsman (though I personally can't go past Greg Chappell)

And also an absolutely f**king top bloke. He speaks sense whenever you hear him in the media. His opinions are always well thought out, polite and respectful.

Immense respect for that man.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Mark Taylor was a pretty underrated batsmen,average 43 opening the batting in that era was really good
And the greatest first slipper I've ever seen, which is a hugely important asset.

I'd pick him in my team over Hayden any day despite an inferior avg. when you look at Taylor as a package of what he brought to a team - leadership and tactics, batting and fielding, Fujitsu air con.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
And the greatest first slipper I've ever seen, which is a hugely important asset.

I'd pick him in my team over Hayden any day despite an inferior avg. when you look at Taylor as a package of what he brought to a team - leadership and tactics, batting and fielding, Fujitsu air con.

lol,Agreed,would take Mark Taylor over Langer and Hayden for sure,has to be the best slips fielder ever.

Bazal

Post Whore
Just on AB...

A truly great captain and leader.

Arguably Australia's 2nd greatest batsman (though I personally can't go past Greg Chappell)

And also an absolutely f**king top bloke. He speaks sense whenever you hear him in the media. His opinions are always well thought out, polite and respectful.

Immense respect for that man.

He's a good bloke in the real world too. Had a chat with him at a PMs XI game one year. Just really happy to talk cricket

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Met AB once, nearly shat myself.

He laughed and asked if I was a Cricket fan. I got him to sign my cap which has ever been worn again. Chatted for 5 mins with hi about the game. Just a top quality human being with no airs and graces. My old man was pissed i met the great man :joy:

JJ

Immortal
By the time I really cared about cricket, Taylor was captain and had been for a while. I love the idea of AB as this lion hearted hard arse cricketer and that's something that I also saw in Steve Waugh....Waugh just didn't have the struggles that AB did, but he was certainly moulded much more by AB than he was Taylor. He also had that icy calmness about him no matter the situation. I doubt even AB was mental enough to deliberately fire up Curtly Ambrose, haha

I'd probably feel the same about AB had I seen him play much.

Chapelli isn't fit to tie AB or Tuggas laces IMO. It must burn him that Steve Waugh is remembered so fondly and has made such a huge difference in the world, anf that makes me quite happy....lol
Waugh had the struggles as a player, and I think they were a big part of the player he became.

Border and Waugh, with Hadlee, Richards, Imran, Marshall, Crowe and Lillee are just about my favourites. Border would always be the first person I'd pick anytime any place against any attack

Latest posts