What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Chappell takes aim at old foes Steve Waugh, Don Bradman and Ian Botham

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Steve Smith goes all right. M Waugh was damn great, but could drop some. Better than his bro in that space....Would take Viv over M Waugh....dude had it all.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Met AB once, nearly shat myself.

He laughed and asked if I was a Cricket fan. I got him to sign my cap which has ever been worn again. Chatted for 5 mins with hi about the game. Just a top quality human being with no airs and graces. My old man was pissed i met the great man :joy:
i saw him down Belconnen Mall once when he was in town for the PM's XI game and got his autograph on my cigarette pack and skateboard

edit: this was about 25 years ago

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach

This guy too...But Rodger Harper is my man.
I remember Harper taking a catch at gully at the WACA during the Perth Challenge, a 4 way series between Aust, WI, Pakistan and England back in either 87/88 or 88/89. It was a brilliant 1 hander, the ball was absolutely motoring, back when the WACA was like lightening... Still sticks in my mind that catch. Reflexes of a cat that fella...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
For the Australians Ponting was the best I've seen. Brilliant in the slips, close in to the spinners he never flinched and caught stuff noone else could, in the covers he was brilliant and there was a period of about 4 years where he just didn't miss the stumps. Great arm too.

Waugh and Symonds slightly behind.

As for Harper, brilliant and as good as anyone but for mine sullied by the incident when he claimed a caught and bowled off Michael Bevan in an odi.

Bazal

Post Whore
Waugh and Symonds for me in terms or Aussies. Waugh because he was just an immaculate catcher and Symonds because he was so good he actually catalysed a change in the way people fielded. Ponting not far behind.

I'd find it pretty hard to go past Ponting as the best all round fieldsman ever. Many of the guys mentioned were of course extremely good, but Ponting just ticks all the boxes.

Brilliant hands, could field absolutely anywhere (including in the deep), athletic, great across the ground, bullet like arm with precision accuracy.

2 weeks

Coach
When he was young Clive Lloyd was called the Supercat. Ponting, Harper & Rhodes were all great, but Lloyd is my pick.

TheParraboy

Staff member
on the other end of he scale, worst fielders for mine

Tufnell, Dilip Doshi, Ganguly , Murali, Inzamann ul haq, Chris Martin

im sure there are a few others?