What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ian Heads on Conversations with Richard Fidler

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-ian-heads-2017/8729758

This was great to listen to, focussed mainly around the 1969 GF between Souths and Balmain, the conjecture that the game was fixed because of a few whispers and the fact that Souths had about 7 Internationals playing in their side. Also touching on the super league era and his great career as a (real) footy journo. As a kid growing up in the 70's in Sydney, this was a great podcast and refreshing to remember back when. Anyone that loves their footy will enjoy this though.

Willie Ray

Bench
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-ian-heads-2017/8729758

This was great to listen to, focussed mainly around the 1969 GF between Souths and Balmain, the conjecture that the game was fixed because of a few whispers and the fact that Souths had about 7 Internationals playing in their side. Also touching on the super league era and his great career as a (real) footy journo. As a kid growing up in the 70's in Sydney, this was a great podcast and refreshing to remember back when. Anyone that loves their footy will enjoy this though.
I Iistened to that story,pretty interesting,Keith Page was the ref in that game....weird hearing that someone told Churchill you won't win today,all the money's on the tigers.

Willie Ray

Bench
Richard must be a RL fan,pretty sure I.Heads was on once before talking about a really violent game between a NSW country team and one of the great English touring sides,the country team won I think,anyone know that story?

King hit

Coach
Richard must be a RL fan,pretty sure I.Heads was on once before talking about a really violent game between a NSW country team and one of the great English touring sides,the country team won I think,anyone know that story?

The night the music died is the story. Western division won the AMCO cup against all odds. They played GB after their 1st game of the cup, they got beaten 25-10 I think but it galvanised the country boys even more. I would highly recommend reading this book. It's such a great story.

Willie Ray

Bench
Tha
The night the music died is the story. Western division won the AMCO cup against all odds. They played GB after their 1st game of the cup, they got beaten 25-10 I think but it galvanised the country boys even more. I would highly recommend reading this book. It's such a great story.[/QUO
Thanx KH,will look it up

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Caught the end of it describing the 1909 GF and the feud it created between the two clubs. Need to listen to the whole thing. Fidler is a top interviewer.

Latest posts