What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICC U19 World cup 2018 - India Champions

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The host nation hosting a final has only won 2 from 11 world cups (ind in 2011, Aust in 2015)

In actual fact not many host nations end up making the final and played in their own backyard

The odds were with the kiwis in 2015 ;)

You misinterpreted my point, it was more that while NZ is blessed hosting this U19 WC for the second time, it would be nice if NZ ever got to host a final in an ICC World Cup proper event, and be on equal terms with Pakistan, West Indies, South Africa, and the big 3. Heck NZ aint even hosted a Champions Trophy final, but Bangladesh, Kenya, Sri Lanka have, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and the West Indies have also hosted a World T20.

Next World T20, you'll be pleased to know is in Australia sole.

England next year will host its 5th World Cup final.

Reactions: JJ

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Great win to Afghanistan.

Good batting, brilliant spin bowling, and the cricket world looks to have another serious powerhouse developing worthy of full icc status to surpass SL and Bangladesh for time taken. Great for the global health of the game. Afghanistan's rise in cricket continues to impress me, but the way they play with flair and style with star players when batting or bowling spin make them hugely entertaining.

Well done Afghanistan. I'm very impressed. And I'm entertained.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Holy shit, what an upset.

Thabk God the tennis is on for the kiwis.

I think a sleeping giant is being awoken.

And I love it.

I liked your post. But I'm not so sure it was that much of an upset to be honest. They've already beaten Pak and SL too. Rashid Khan was eligible to play in this tournament, but they wanted to give their new spinners a go, who have lived up to pre-tournament hype.

If Mujeeb is a success, western and established icc nation' spinners may follow suit by abandoning finger or wrist specializations, and just being "spinners". I know Murali and Ashwin have dabbled with leg breaks, but this Mujeeb is just mixing it up endlessly.

I know Ireland aint much chop, but he has already given their national men's team a tough time in ODI proper, especially the first time they came across him.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...nistan-vs-ireland-1st-odi-ire-in-uae-2017-18/

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Afghanistan? I hope they smash Australia tbh and win the whole thing.

It's worth a shitload more to them than it is to us.
Yep if NZ are going to shit the bed would love to see them win

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I like the Afgan leggie

Time to learn their names Twiz. They're producing multiple talents. Especially in spin incl leggies.

Mujeeb Zadran is the spinner who bowls both off breaks with carom balls and leg breaks with googlies. He is officially listed as an off spin bowler. But he bowls leg break varities too. He's the one who made NZ batsmen look foolish and inept with 4-14. He's 16 and already played for the men's team with Rashid Khan and been motm before.

I use the new ball lots of the time in the nets so I have very good control. If I want to bowl offspin or the carom ball or the leg break, we just focus to bowl wicket to wicket," Mujeeb said after the match.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...-century-born-male-cricketernbsp-1721957.html

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...cricket-team-in-uae-2017-1st-odi-match-report - a match where his googly wrecked Ireland men's team.

Qais Ahmed is a leg spinner. And the highest wicket taker at the tournament so far. He's the one who merely made NZ look inferior with 4-33. He's 17. And has an impressive beard. He hasn't played for the men's team yet.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanistan/content/player/914171.html

If Mujeeb has a successful transition into international cricket, he could potentially drastically change the way young spinners coming up through the ranks think about their bowling, that is, to continue as both off and leg spinners.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Semi finals

29/1 Australia v Afghanistan

30/1 Pakistan v India

Could it be an all sub continent Final in NZ?

JJ

Immortal
Straya doing a number on the Afghanis today

Got to wonder whether events at home have affected them

Beyond that the Aussies (like the big boy Aussies) have a strong belief in themselves that on the big stage they'll get the job done. As long as talent levels are similar that is a big factor