What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iconic Moments on Fox

T-Boon

Coach
These games they have been showing from the 80s are great. The RL playing style was much more skilful, random, enterprising and frankly better back then. I get the feeling the money in the game today is off the back of how great the game was pre wrestle. And that 25 years from now the game will suffer for the current playing style.

Grapple

Bench
25 years from now we'll probably look back and think, "man how good was that wrestle in the ruck by Melbourne!" Or "This newer version of the Tesla Cam Smith humanoid needs a software update, he's unusually quiet".

Fangs

Coach
Have been watching too.

80s was quite trash. Though I've appreciated the hard hitting defensive work of Ray Price.

92-93 season you see a real lift in the quality. Much faster. 90s overall the best decade

Overall you don't see the players trying to slow the game down as much. You also don't see bullshit like players blocking high ball contests.

90s>00s>80s>2010s

T-Boon

Coach
More skilful? Hahaha.

There was obviously a lot more risky/enterprising football. They would throw the extra pass. You dont know where on the field or in the set of possession they are going to launch an attack.
There are also more variety of skills on display. Playing at the ball in the ruck, chip kicking (remember that), the tap forward run, the whole scrum, one on one tackling, all the set plays, deep backlines, no decoy runners uglying things up. There is generally a lot less forward passing especially from dummy half.

Not to mention the ball would have been a lot harder to pass, catch or kick.

When ever I watch old footage the thing that stands out to me is how slow everything is and how bad the defence is.

I don't disagree with that. The play the balls are a lot slower. They actually have to try to conserve some energy. One thing I have realised since the stupid but fast spectacle of super league is that the speed of the game does not mean crap. It is all about the skill. Passing skills etc. Interchanges of passes. That is the essence of the game.

Fangs

Coach
I think we can all agree the 10s are absolutely terrible. We only get 2-3 decent games a year and its Origin.

King hit

Coach
The thing I love about 80’s and 90’s footy is that it’s hard tough stuff with none of the pc rubbish you see today. That no biff and no shoulder charge rules have really softened the game up.

Fangs

Coach
2016 the best by many, many huge and terrific amounts. Very massive and great result.

Yes a decent grand final. 2015 was even better.

But the full season hasn't been too great. I just don't think there are many strong teams in the NRL at the moment. The number of also-ran teams in 2017 was staggering.

King hit

Coach
Yes a decent grand final. 2015 was even better.

But the full season hasn't been too great. I just don't think there are many strong teams in the NRL at the moment. The number of also-ran teams in 2017 was staggering.

The 2016 grand final was much better. I thought the 2015 grand final was dour and the Broncos killed it as a spectacle by grinding it out. 2016 was Rugby League at its best.

T-Boon

Coach
The thing I love about 80’s and 90’s footy is that it’s hard tough stuff with none of the pc rubbish you see today. That no biff and no shoulder charge rules have really softened the game up.

Yep, that is great to watch.
But what I enjoy the most is the variety of skills and plays. The game I was watching last night broke out into a brief kicking duel from a kick off. The commentators didn't even mention it was going on. Throw in those regular run-arounds between the dummy half and first receiver. The support play especially between forwards. The depth back from the ruck of the attacking team looks great. Overall there is a lot more knock ons but I traded that for more action any day.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The 2016 grand final was much better. I thought the 2015 grand final was dour and the Broncos killed it as a spectacle by grinding it out. 2016 was Rugby League at its best.

The 16 GF was boring as f*ck. 3 of the 4 tries were off one pass. Apart from the storm at the end I can’t remember a single line break or decent attacking option from anyone.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
There was obviously a lot more risky/enterprising football. They would throw the extra pass. You dont know where on the field or in the set of possession they are going to launch an attack.
There are also more variety of skills on display. Playing at the ball in the ruck, chip kicking (remember that), the tap forward run, the whole scrum, one on one tackling, all the set plays, deep backlines, no decoy runners uglying things up. There is generally a lot less forward passing especially from dummy half.

Not to mention the ball would have been a lot harder to pass, catch or kick.

I don't disagree with that. The play the balls are a lot slower. They actually have to try to conserve some energy. One thing I have realised since the stupid but fast spectacle of super league is that the speed of the game does not mean crap. It is all about the skill. Passing skills etc. Interchanges of passes. That is the essence of the game.

I agree with a lot of this.

To me the biggest change was the 10m rule and interchange. This brought in more athletes and less natural footy players. It’s now more important for a winger to be able to make 10ms from dummyhalf as opposed to creating something out of nothing or finishing a back line move. A guy like Chikka Ferguson wouldn’t play a single game of first grade if he was around today.

Fangs

Coach

Yes you're quite right thanks for your input.

Fangs

Coach
Origin?
Origins are usually the least entertaining games thanks to negative play and spoiling tactics.

The intensity of Origin is incredible. That alone makes it entertaining.

As long as you believe the contest will be officiated fairly then you are in for one helluva game.

ed-grimley

Bench
Have been watching too.

80s was quite trash. Though I've appreciated the hard hitting defensive work of Ray Price.

92-93 season you see a real lift in the quality. Much faster. 90s overall the best decade

Overall you don't see the players trying to slow the game down as much. You also don't see bullshit like players blocking high ball contests.

90s>00s>80s>2010s
Was Kenny better to watch than Thurston?

Latest posts