What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea that could triple TV ratings

langpark

First Grade
Might work, might not. Worth mentioning though I think.

What if the FFRXIII could do a TV deal with a company that would show one match per week Live, not only in France, but also abroad. The match however, must be on a Sunday at midday, this allows for the following possibilities:
- UK audience watching it at 11am (UK time)
- French audience at midday, of course
- Australian audiences at 10pm (7pm in WA, 9pm in Qld)
- and if there are any diehard fans over in NZ, they can watch it at midnight, you wouldn't expect many, but this would be a bonus if they were to tune in.

The big advantage the French League have in pitching an idea like this is that their season runs during the NRL and Super League off-seasons!!! So all the League fans that might be desperate for a fix, now have something to watch! Obviously, they should hand-pick the matches, to ensure the best teams are playing.

I think it's a very low risk idea, that could deliver massive dividends to French Rugby League in the long-term!

paulmac

Juniors
I reckon provided it was filmed and packaged Premier Sports in England would show it.The challenge would be to get someone in Australia to show it.We are so NRL centric.Fox Sports won't even show the ESL.Perhaps Eurosport here in Aus is a chance?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It's not a ridiculous idea, apart from the fact that it would indicate that the french can't sell the game to their own market, which is quite an indictment but at the end of the day representative of the actual situation. So why not?

- Realistically it would be the FFR13 streaming group and commentary retransmitted. ie rights sold to this footage.
- Let's face it, the ratings won't be spectacular.
- What would be the advantage of showing it live, especially for the Aus/NZ market?
- Commentary? French?
- At the end of the day, the sponsors pay for the broadcast. Would there be many sponsors, french or otherwise, willing to pay to have ads on at that time? It's a very niche market. Would that niche market in UK/Aus/NZ be bigger than other things the TV channels could put on?

langpark

First Grade
Miguel, I would agree with you that it's an very niche market IF its season ran March-October like NRL and ESL, but it doesn't, that's what opens the window of opportunity.

Remember, if just 1% of the Qld and NSW populations decide to tune in (everyone is home on a Sunday night), we're talking about an audience of 120,000!!!!

Sponsors would come on board slowly but surely I believe, as would viewers.

There are plenty of native English speakers involved in Rugby League and/or living in France that could do the commentary once a week. All the obstacles could be overcome. It's worth exploring, the French League (I am under no illusions about its standard) is underselling itself at the moment.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Just about anything would probably rate better in Qld on a Sunday night than french provincial rugby league though, even in the offseason.

langpark

First Grade
Miguel, I'm not saying it needs to top the ratings chart, as I said, 1% of the population, for example.

paulmac

Juniors
Fox have five channels now and half the shit they show is unwatchable. They showed Ireland v Georgia in rugby the other night,I cant imagine what the audience would of been but it wouldn't of been much.I reckon once people realised it was on at a consistant time it could build up a cult following.I mean ESPN here in aust show the Canadian football league.I just wish someone would have the vision to show it.

langpark

First Grade
Quite often, they're showing Premier League darts, you cannot tell me that would attract a bigger audience!

As Paul said, they now have five channels! Make it happen!

Diesel

Coach
Seven (7mate) or Ten (One) might be willing to give it a shot just to gauge any interest. As for Nine, I wouldn't even bother approaching them, I don't think they even like RL. Fox with 5 channels could easily incorporate it somewhere.

Ryan Chidgey

Juniors
Considering there is limited nsw cup or qld cup on australian tv I couldnt see it getting the nod even though I'd love it. The french league needs to get into the print media much easier to access and would be great to see instead of using Google translator.

The Partisan

Looking through the content for EuroSport Australia - you'd think they would be able to accommodate a professionally produced package of RL from France -- and other European regions to be honest.

I'm sure commentators for an english speaking audience could easily be located.

The Partisan

Temptation got to me !

Sent off an email to Eurosport Australia advocating the broadcasting of French RL to introduce a new audience (and sponsors) to their channel.

Even went so far as to suggest a 10 - 15 minute World RL Wrap could be another option.

Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

The Daddy3

Juniors
Silly idea and I can't believe people are actually entertaining this crap. There's enough latent support in the traditional areas of France to target a competition at, the French game just need to take the plunge and draft up a concept which is for French footy fans.

The Daddy3

Juniors
I totally would and plenty of UK league fans would but It shouldn't be the basis for starting a competition, the fact that France has a great history of League and enough areas which could start a team should be enough in itself. No need for cheap gimmicks.

The Daddy3

Juniors
A French comp could potentially be something like this:

Catalan Dragons
Toulouse Olympique
Aude Cathars
Avignon Bisons
Union Treiziste Tarn
Aquitaine Leopards
Lyon-Villerbanne-Rhone
Bordeaux or Paris or Montpellier

Each of the potential areas have an existing or historical connection to the sport in France.