Identity Politics

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Tommy Smith, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Pete Cash

Pete Cash Immortal

I think there are white people who are having it hard. There hasnt been meaningful wage growth in ages and productivity is through the roof. Labour is being squeezed very hard while capital makes more profits than ever.

Its not that the left shouldnt care about the plight of oppressed people. I think that was basically my point in the israel/Palestine thread but there has been a failure to address this issue by the political left. Considering capital owns it i would say this is by design

t-ba, Tommy Smith and SpaceMonkey like this.
  2. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

White people have never had it so good. As a consequence of the West never having had it so good.

So that narrative is absolute nonsense.

"White people" aren't under attack. It just so happens that all the jobs - manufacturing, factory work, mining (in England) etc - which formed the heart of many working class predominantly white communities have disappeared.

So if anyone is under attack it's working class people and communities at the hands of major corporations and globalisation I guess.

But this is an example of how viewing a topic through the prism of identity politics leads people to the wrong conclusion.

3. Canard

Canard Coach

100% this is happening. But I'm not sure why being poor and white should hold more weight then being poor and other.

4. Canard

Canard Coach

I agree and come to the same conclusion as you, just with a different angle to it I suppose.

Letting right wing media beat up stories about vegan bakeries isn't helping either.

5. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

I alluded to this in my last post.

Not that you suggested otherwise but, communties - who just so happen to be predominantly white - are under attack.

And this is what led to Brexit. The North essentially revolted because of the complete degradation of their towns and communities.

And it's incredibly disengenuous when they are labelled as racist chavs. Ok so the chav part may be right.

6. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Those sorts of stories are pure red herrings.

A bit like the whole "white people shouldn't see Black Panther" nonsense.

According to who, 6 blue haired lesbians on twitter? That's not representative of any populous and thus isn't newsworthy.

So this outrage culture is utterly poisonous right now.

But it sells... and the general public needs to be better and demand better quality journalism.

Where identity politics isn't helpful is when Brexit is written off as white people and communities who hate brown immigrants.

Ok so there's a lot of ignorance, no doubt. But if these communities were thriving with jobs galore they largely wouldn't give a stuff. But as it is they're decaying. And they're angry.

And because many of them aren't informed they direct much of their vitriol towards immigrants. When it belongs to government's who have ignored them for decades.

Not to say that unrelenting immigration for 20 years hasn't been a problem in the UK... but I don't believe it's the root cause of discontent.

If people and communties have jobs straight out of school - without requiring 18 diplomas and Cert IVs - and affordable housing then I don't believe it'd be such an issue.

Surely likes this.
  7. Canard

Canard Coach

Your obviously closer to this then most Aussies, but I had the perception that the majority of Brexit was led by the upper class (besides the BNP of course)

8. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

9. gUt

gUt Coach

Poverty, war, Islamism, Trump, Korea, Russia, drugs... and mansplaining.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...distances-itself-from-mansplaining-ad/9928774

Ad outside future Adelaide university building ridiculed for apparent mansplaining

[​IMG]

The University of Adelaide has distanced itself from an advertisement that has made headlines around the world and attracted criticism and ridicule on social media, with some users accusing it of condoning so-called 'mansplaining'.

The ad on hoardings outside the old Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) site features an image of five young women surrounding a young man who, with arms raised, is apparently in the act of uttering an idea of great importance.

Next to it on the same billboard is the university's logo, and the image itself carries official SA Government labelling.

The photo posted on Instagram was brought to prominence by local account ShitAdelaide, which commented that the "innovative education precinct" now appeared to be offering a "Master of Mansplaining".

The term 'mansplaining' is now widely used to refer to a man explaining something to a woman in a way that is considered patronising, arrogant or condescending.

"I've been walking past this poster for months and wondering what the hell the marketing people responsible for this were thinking," one user remarked.

"How was this image approved?!" another said, while another suggested "it was a room of men who came up with that ad".

But others were not as unforgiving, with some adopting a more irreverent tone.

"How do you know it is a man? How can you decide gender by appearance?" one said.

Ad graphic came from Renewal SA, not uni
    One of Britain's highest circulating newspapers, Metro, and the BBC have both reported on the ad.

But a university spokesperson said the ad was not linked to the university, and that the people depicted were not from the university.

"The hoarding in which that image appears belongs to Renewal SA, not the university," the spokesperson said.

"The photo of the hoarding has been deliberately angled and cropped to suggest that the image is directly related to the university, which it is not."

Renewal SA is the Government's development body responsible for projects including the old RAH site.

"Our logo is part of a separate image, which has been cropped out," the university's spokesperson said.

"The photo in question on the Renewal SA hoarding is not a university image. It was not supplied by us. It was not approved by us. The people depicted in that photo are not university people."

Once completed, the redeveloped old RAH site will become an arts and educating precinct, and will house the University of Adelaide's Australian Institute for Machine Learning.

bileduct likes this.
  10. bileduct

bileduct Coach

LOL! So these feminist retards thought this was a university ad but it didn't occur to them this gender neutral looking dude may have been a lecturer?

11. t-ba

t-ba Coach

Maybe it's wrong to use Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as political philosophy but to borrow a line from Shaun of the Dead, "I'll stop doing em when you stop laughing" is pretty emblematic of the news media these days.

Ultimately, lile everything else in the modern world, News companies are businesses and need to make money, either to keep the lighte on or ensure that shareholders recieve a nice little dividend.

Top quality journalism is grand but how many people are honestly interested in reading a well thought out article that tries to balance itself? Judging by the increase in news media sites begging for cash and the rise of tabloid shit like the Daily Mail online I would guess not many. Thus we end up with outrage culture. Shit sells because we keep buying it. If we stopped consuming it, they would stop making it!

Pete Cash also has a good point that the interests if those in control of the news media don't actually have views about the social order that align with ours so it makes sense from their agenda to find something they can kick up dust with that doesn't involve dangerous discussions like why productivity has increased so much without real wages rising at all. Better to talk about idpol. Murdoch is a master of using the media to generate outrage to get people voting against their interests. Look at Tampa for a textbook example of using idpol to help a government advance his interests.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  12. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Gender neutral looking?

Wtf!

13. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

There was definitely a sizeable section of traditional conservatives who led the charge; with classic Churchillian and Thatcher inspired pride in "Britain standing alone" being the inspiration.

But yes, the majority of the Brexit vote came from highly disillusioned and disenfranchised traditional lower & middle class people from dilapidated towns and cities, i.e. your typical Northern English Rugby League towns and places like Sunderland etc.

14. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Like the bloke that murdered jo cox?

15. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Do you not see the irony in you using select singular examples of horrific crimes to tar an entire group of people when you'll (rightfully) defend Muslims when someone tries to paint them all as terrorists after an attack?

It's literally the exact same scenario; only with the shoe on the other foot.

And yet here you are using the same tactics that far right tards use when they try and defame the Muslim community as a whole after a terrorist attack.

"The majority of Brexiteers are good hard working people"

"Like the guy who murdered Joe Cox?"

"The majority of Muslims are good hard working people"

"Like the guy who blew up young children at the Manchester Concert?"

Both moronic statements. Yet you call out one as wrong (rightfully) but use the other.

Go figure.

16. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Like the guy that was elected president by calling mexicans rapists....

You mean like that?

It sounds much better though when you talk about the identity politics of the Left and cultural marxists.

Pantherjim. likes this.
  17. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Look for biley.....

Pantherjim. likes this.
  18. bazza

bazza Coach

I thought it was middle class retirees who blame their own short comings on the EU

19. bazza

bazza Coach

inner London votes to stay in the EU but the dilapidated towns and cities of the home counties voted for Brexit

20. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Smack likes this.