What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I was coach.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have been thinking tonight, what I would do, if I was our coach. I feel like I have had an epiphany and will share it with you all.

Everyone else is welcome to say what they would do if they were our coach on this thread too.

My team would be, if all players are available.

1 Dufty
2 Lomax
3 Mann
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Vaughn
9 McInnes
10 Frizell
11 Simms
12 Host
13 DeBelin

14 Aitken
15 Graham
16 Ah Mau
17 Sele.

At the beginning of the season, I would have already had Mann and Lomax on our right side. I said at the start of the year that I would have had Lomax centre and Mann on the wing. I have decided to swap them around and let Lomax start his career from the wing and play Mann at right centre. I think Mann would provide more class at centre than Aitken, he would also be able to pass Lomax the ball. I am very happy with Aitken's form this year and it probably wouldn't be fair to drop him to the bench. I think Lomax would give us more speed on the wing and more agility, than Nightingale. I think he is our best young outside back prospect since Gasnier, and I have faith that he would succeed, if given the chance.

I would move Frizell to starting prop and move Graham to the bench. I believe that Frizell plays his best football in the middle. He is as tough as they come. He runs hard and tackles hard. He is also a forward leader. When he is in the middle he doesn't have to wait for the game to come to him. He has excelled playing lock (in the middle) for NSW and would excel playing there for us. I would move Graham to the bench. Myself and others have already felt that we need one more good prop. Doing this would effectively give us the best pair of interchange props in the game. We would not lose much if anything when we replace our starting pair of props. I think we would have the best set of props in the game with that quartet.

I would bring Host in to play second row. I will say that I am not totally convinced of Host yet, but I did see some potential last year. He debuted for us 2 seasons ago, he now should be ready to have a shot and with moving Frizell to prop, that would give him his chance. His stats in ISP have been impressive every week. He may even run better lines than Frizell?

With those changes, I am visualising our right hand side attack improving and flowing better. I am also visualising our middle becoming stronger and tougher.

Aitken would by my utility. He can play centre (Mann could be moved mid game to cover an injury to any other back) or come on and play in the backrow. I have always said that he is a forward playing centre.

Sele would replace DeBelin 10 minutes or so before halftime and play for the first 10 to 15 in the second half.

With that bench, we would probably have the best bench in the comp.

I don't expect Mary to make any of these changes in the foreseeable future, but that is what I would do. I reckon we could win the comp this year, with the above team.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
I would do a clean out of the coaching staff in the lower grades too.

Too many jobs for the boys down there!

PS
Most, not necessarily all of them, there must be one or two good ones.

BennyV

Referee
If I were Coach McGregory - I'd sack myself.
If I were a coach with reasonable experience and success in coaching - I'd sign with Dragons.
If I were Coach Frank Facer - I'd refer to myself in the third person more. I feel like that would give my posts an extra edge to provide the attention I believe they deserve. A simple auto correct of 'I' to 'Frank Facer' would be wonderful to see..

Lovemedragons

Juniors
i like any idea which means we get Lomax into this team. Not against Tyson going to prop at all, definately not convinced about Host but give him a shot and although it would seem nonsensical to move Aitken anywhere given he has been a star so far this year, I can understand the thought behind it and the idea of strengthening the bench.

Bench
I hope Lomax is bought along the same way Field was. Play him in the reserves and maybe give him time off the bench to replace Flo.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I were Coach McGregory - I'd sack myself.
If I were a coach with reasonable experience and success in coaching - I'd sign with Dragons.
If I were Coach Frank Facer - I'd refer to myself in the third person more. I feel like that would give my posts an extra edge to provide the attention I believe they deserve. A simple auto correct of 'I' to 'Frank Facer' would be wonderful to see..

Soward used to refer to himself in the 3rd person too. lol