What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I were the coach...

Uplifting

Juniors
Ok guys, let me first qualify this by saying that none of us (especially myself) have the merit to ever be the Dragons NRL coach. But, we're all motivated Dragons fans with opinions, and often critical of our coach. So here's your chance. What would you do to turn the Dragons in to a dynamic, successful team?

If I were coach:
I'd use a rotating roster. Let me explain.

There are 25 1st grade contracted players every year. 17 of which play first grade per game. The other 8 play reserve grade. I'd make it that if you played reserves one week you play in FG the following week.

This means no one from the fit contracted players play two consecutive games in reserve grade. And, only the very best performing players play consecutive games in the top grade.

What a dynamic, competitive and creative environment that would make for the club. That's my idea anyway (inspired by the first year the St George Illawarra merger was established).

The Doc

Juniors
I like ur way of thinking uplifting...
But personally, id just prefer a coach who has the balls to drop underperforming players and reward the cutters players who are playing excellent.
Put everyone on notice, u fk up, ur dropped, turn up ready to perform and actually perform or next week you can think about it in reserve grade.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hasler to breathe fire into Dragons in 2018
By Tony Adams
October 22, 2016

DES Hasler’s dramatic falling out at Canterbury is almost certain to see him switch clubs in 2018 – to St George Illawarra.

Hasler has survived an attempt by disgruntled Bulldogs directors to oust him but appears certain to leave Belmore once his contract expires at the end of 2017.

RLW has been told that the Dragons, who are unhappy with the direction they’re going under Paul McGregor, have secretly sounded out Hasler’s manager George Mimis about his future.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, under massive pressure to keep his own job from frustrated fans, realises that signing Hasler could ease the strain on his position.

Doust and Mimis are close mates and have done several player deals together in the past, most notably Mark Gasnier’s return to the Red V from French rugby union in 2010.

There’s still plenty of tension between Hasler and the Bulldogs hierarchy, and only a premiership in 2017 is likely to patch up the problems.

McGregor is also under siege and will need to win six of his first eight games in 2017 to keep his position but even then, with Hasler waiting in the wings, it may not be enough.

And it’s hard to see the Dragons improving, with recruitment proving an ongoing problem. They’ve missed out on a host of big-name players and on paper, look little stronger for next season.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/hasler-breathe-fire-dragons-2018/

This is written by the Mole ...so take it with a grain of salt.

BennyV

Referee
Ok guys, let me first qualify this by saying that none of us (especially myself) have the merit to ever be the Dragons NRL coach. But, we're all motivated Dragons fans with opinions, and often critical of our coach. So here's your chance. What would you do to turn the Dragons in to a dynamic, successful team?

If I were coach:
I'd use a rotating roster. Let me explain.

There are 25 1st grade contracted players every year. 17 of which play first grade per game. The other 8 play reserve grade. I'd make it that if you played reserves one week you play in FG the following week.

This means no one from the fit contracted players play two consecutive games in reserve grade. And, only the very best performing players play consecutive games in the top grade.

What a dynamic, competitive and creative environment that would make for the club. That's my idea anyway (inspired by the first year the St George Illawarra merger was established).
Silly idea. Lose all combinations and consistency.

Top 17 should be for the best players in teh best form. If they lose form, they should be dropped. If players outside the best 17 improve their form and become a better options, they move up. It's really simple.

This isnt under 12s. There's no participation awards and we arent playing so everyone gets a turn. We play to win. Thats all.

emu62

Juniors
First thing i would do as coach - take out a ACO on Paul McGregor
Similar to a AVO but stands for Apprehended Coaching Order
That being granted he would not be able to communicate or come within 100 metres of any St George registered player for the term of his natural life

Mr Red

First Grade
There's a lot to be said for team cohesion and getting to know the players to the left and right of you, and this suggestion would do nothing to increase that.
The risk would be a very disjointed performance each week, with half the team being swapped game to game..

Morotti

Juniors
Stop talking so much bs at press conferences. Be honest and tell the truth. Mary tends to trot out excuse after excuse. And gives the players a way out of their poor performance.

Something has to be done on the training paddock and off the field also. You play the way you train and we are robots.

I think training should always include the football. It seems most teams do a lot of fitness but the football is the most important thing. I train muay thai and guess what, almost everything we do includes form and technique etc etc. Mark coyne alluded to this somewhat in his interview about basic catch and pass.

You cant drop blokes if they have 1 bad game. Whilst you cant leave them in if they arent performing over a period of time.

There is a culture problem in the team and realistically not sure whether it can be fixed by someone that has been involved in the dragons. We need outside influence from people who have been successful previously.

Be interesting to see if we get to hear the results of this review. Because biggest problem with the club is senior management.

Belta

Juniors
As previously mentioned a coach needs to be willing to mix it up if things aren't working ie 2nd worst attack....there is more young talent at the club who imo need to be given opportunities ie Milne, hutch, all the other young forwards even the 20 yr old from Melb, Kerr, .... Another massive hurdle is the kicking game..you can't under estimate how important it is..the latest test match is just another example of this...the problem being which player can deliver a competent kicking game...from the cutters final Nona showed what he could do...will he be used??? ....if I was coach I'd give him a run....I'm not convinced that you have to keep using the same players week in week out to get consistency.....I believe accountability for under performing will force players to bring more attitude and effort

Morotti

Juniors
It is very difficult to be the best at everything i.e. best attach and defence. With Bennett we focused on defence as a first priority and structure our game around that. Now it seems like we don't know what we want to do. Attack is important yes but attack can be built on the back of good defence. We did it in the Bennett years so no reason why we couldn't have continued.
Problem is those players and that culture is dead.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I'd increase the work load of the senior Flames to include post match massage..........only available if they win.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Not to the team right, to the supporters???

I think you're on to something. Include it in the Red V package and the Membership Tracker would be working overtime.............i like the way you think, you can be HC and i'll be AC:D

Latest posts