What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If Josh McCrone is named to play the Sharks

Frank Facer

First Grade
Completely agree we need a halfback. Said the same thing myself regarding giving Mann a go at least. We are running around without the most important positional player on the field, and without a coach, and expecting to do any good. No wonder we are all so disgruntled.

Still, I think we will need a quality coach, as well as Hunt, to really push for the trophy. Seems a world away right now. Sounds simplistic but some things just are that way.
Yes I too agree that we need a good coach. I think a bigger problem has been our recruitment. I also think that our CEO, club President and co are inadequate and incompetent.

I agree that Hunt will make a massive difference. I am not quite sure if Widdop is the right halves partner for Hunt. I think Hunt needs a good 5/8 next to him. I actually think someone like Foran would be a good halves partner for Hunt.

SweetandSoward

Juniors
Timeline
Dragons lose 6 straight
Dragons sack Widdop
Hire prodigal son Soward
Soward to resurrect dragons
Dragons make 8
Dragons win premiership
Wayne Bennett quote - I knew my boy had it in him

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
There is no doubt that yesterday's match was a disappointment. But I think it is too early to despair. I didn't agree with a number of Mary's Round 1 selections but that first game was a great performance in which McCrone played his part. Yesterday his kicking game was poor and the difference between the kicking game of the 2 teams was pronounced and a major factor in the scoreline. The Charity Shield was similar - again Widdup kicked for Jason and McCrone only once kicked for Nene. Hard to fathom.

Over decades I have seen the Dragons surrender games through very poor ball control then bounce back. That is what is required here. Parra were a cut above but the Dragons contributed to the Eels' cause.

Probably most disappointing was to see the Eels have the game wrapped up with 20 mins to go but Mary waited a further 10 mins to give Mann a little game time. Last week we led by 30 points before Field got his 10 mins. What a waste of talent and the bench!

Next week I would pick the same team and give Mann, Milne and Field 80 mins in the NSW Cup to make them ready for promotion in Rd 4 if the NRL fails again next week.

A consolation was Illawarra played better yesterday with Leilua being more prominent setting up a lovely try for Dufty. As always Havili impressed me. And I had the impression that Mose looked a bit fitter and more involved although not playing many minutes..

God-King Dean

Immortal
Has to be one of the worst players to play 150 fg games

It was always perplexing for how he got a run for so many years at Canberra, ahead of a blatantly more talented Cornish

And here he is doing it again

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
He as good last week ? What the

Had a great game last week. Steered the forwards around, kicked well, 5th tackle options all good. Played like a halfback should. This week its a disaster. Im wondering if hes a wet weather player only.

Old Timer

Coach
This is simple stuff really.
Stick with then same formulae and win a few and lose a lot and say we are waiting for next year.
or
Admit what we have isn't working and see what we can do by experimenting in the halves and admitting that the outside backs have issues as well and do something about that as well.

Option 1 means bored to death all year and know nothing about anything when Hunt arrives next year and then saddle him with lots of experimenting.
or
We have look at players in different positions as if rd 3 to see what they can bring to the table and on that basis we may keep some, may release some, may in fact find out we need 1 or 2 more key signings.

I hope Hunt isn't coming to play winners 2 hit ups, forwards 3 hit ups kick to the corner but then again he may just be coming for the lifestyle and a ride on a jet ski now and then.

Old Timer

Coach
yeah, okay trippy old dude....... You are a genius, am not permanently stoned and anyone who points out Widdop's deficiencies, the weakest link in defence and attack for 3 years must be the same person. And you remember all their names. Just waiting to take your revenge on these idiotic, stoned imposters!!!!
No need to take revenge on them as they are poor simple fools who think they will garner support through their overtly demonstrative outcries all about 1 player.
All your identities go the way of the Dodo as no doubt you will at some point.
You would actually get a bit more kudos in this place if you just admitted that you have been here before in different forms but you just don't have the intestinal fortitude to do that and you carry on your mock charade.
By the way how is Benji going that superstar of the Qld cup?
You know the bloke that the great Wayne Bennett said he wanted to come to the Broncos but declared he is not a half back and will not be selected as a halfback.

possm

Coach
We need the best players on the paddock each week. I'm tired of Mary's stupid selections and the way he manages the bench. If he only wants to play a bench player for 10min a game, it is a waste of a spot on the bench. Better we have 4 forwards to support his 'power game' plan.

Off-season training and the pre-season trials was the time to try things and settle on our best available 17. Despite the problems of last year and the heap of ordinary outside backs in our squad, Mary chose to stay with a combination of backs which does not increase the x factor or address the problems experienced all last year.

For 2017 we are short a halfback and although Widdop has lifted his game and is trying very hard to secure a contract extension, McCrone just does not cut it and is very inconsistent. Yes we have a real halfback coming next year however, it seems our Club has done nothing to ensure we have a suitable halfback in 2017.

Aitken has his contract extension so it's now time to select him on form and in a position he is most suited to. In my opinion he is most suited to the backrow and could be of benefit on the bench.

Milne is our best right centre. He and Macdonald have played together in the past and both are big dynamic outside backs who most probably will understand each others play well. I suggest on the right side our outside backs should be Macdonald and Milne.

Why not play Dugan at left centre and select one of our speedy young wingers to play outside him. We need strike power in our backline so chose Dugan at right or left centre with some speed on the left wing.

2017 is going to be a gap year for sure. The Panthers had a very poor game in round 1 and we were allowed to play to our strengths. Parra did not allow us any room at all and were up in our face all game. So for the next few games I'd like Mary to introduce some x factor into our halves. Select Widdop at 7 and Field at 6 for the next few games and see how this pans out. We need a 6 for 2018 and so it is very important we try to find the best player for that position. If Widdop is signed, he will most probably get the job however, if he does not sign we will be in a real pickle for a five-eighth to partner Hunt in 2018. For some reason Mann is on the outer and is not valued by Mary. I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes at 6 however, there have been plenty of chances to test him there in the past and it seems Mary has not been interested to do so.

Fullback is another problem. If Dugan signs his destiny is in the centres and so we should begin the process of testing Dufty, Mann and Field to see if any are suitable for the fullback job. If not then we need to let go all those who are not essential to our squad and purchase a fullback for 2018.

A shake up is required with a mind to select our best possible 17 for this season while at the same time, test players in key positions for 2018.

SBD82

Coach
The Dragons need a 7. McCrone is the only one we have. All the hype about Field. He is a 6. Mann. He is a 6.
If Widdop was injured or still out of form, I'd be the first one saying give em a shot. But they aren't.
People on this forum are so against picking players out of position yet they want to pick 2 ball running 5/8's in a position that is begging for an organiser, someone to compliment Widdop, not clash with him. It is no fluke that Widdop's best footy has been played outside of organising half-backs, when the pressure is off him to lead the team around, he can ask for the ball when he wants and he can roam around picking his moment.

It isnt progressive to pick Field or Mann at half just because they are flashier when they don't do the little things that position demands.
Other than Clearly, name another young halfback that was blooded with the no. 7 on his back and has stood up. Shaun Johnson is awesome but the warriors haven't been to the finals since 2011, Tigers with Brooks haven't been to the finals...

Young halfbacks take longer to progress cause there is a lot that goes with that position. DCE debuted when he was 22/23, same with Cooper Cronk and JT spent a while on the bench before given the Cowboys, Ben Hunt took a long time to find his feet as had Chad Townsend. Pearce has been up and down and Adam Reynolds was 22 as well. Moses Mbye is a brilliant ball player and runner. But he isn't a half, which is very evident.

All I am saying, unless they have spent their entire juniors playing at 7 and leading a team around in rep teams etc. Then they need time in the lower grade como to hone that skill that the halfback needs. You don't blood some kid in there cause he is quick.
*stands and applauds*

Lethal25

Juniors
McCrone was not considered good enough for FG since 2014, he played the majority of 2015 in NSW Cup. He's not a player who's shown talent but just hasn't had the right environment, he's always been a very average first grade player and in the majority at Canberra playing in a very average team.

Week 1 against Penrith was an anomaly, not his usual standard. Possibly his best game in first grade, and afforded time by the forwards which obviously helps. Week 2 is closer to the standard he's produced in the 150 or so games he's played, maybe not that bad but definitely closer to the median than round 1.

There's literally thousands of supporters and general league followers who know McCrone is not up to first grade. It appears though he is the best choice within the club due to previous poor recruitment and a lack of genuine halves coming through the juniors over the last few years. This will change next year with Hunt coming in and the emergence of Field, however short term we look to be stuck with McCrone.

The only upside I see is when McCrone fails he will end up without a contract next year and he may take the coach with him. There has to be a silver lining!

Old Timer

Coach
Mary said during the pre season it was a contest for the 7 jumper.
No real effort was made to review Mann, Field, Nona as the the die was already cast.
Not withstanding that every position should be up for grabs every week and the selection criteria is best man for the job based on performance.
That being the case I would expect to see several changes next week.
Looking at what we have I would do
Field for Mc Crone
Mann for Lafai
Milne for Aitken
Havili to the bench.
If circumstances were that changes were needed during the game
Field to FB
Dugan to centre
Mann to Half

possm

Coach
I would try and find a spot on the bench for Leilua. We need off loads and some smart running. After having a blinder against Penrith, Thompson seemed to play well within himself against Parra and Packer had his worst game ever.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The only reason Milne isn't in my team is because he isn't signed on passed next season. If he does get signed or if it gets him to sign, I'd put him on the left instead of Aitken.

And I don't mind experimentation in the halves. Widdop to 7 is the most logical, but he has struggled when it comes to leading a team around.

If anything, I'd put Mann at 7. Field should be blooded at fullback or 6 if he is in the starting team.

But yeah. I don't foresee any changes against the sharks. Maybe Leilua on the bench instead of a back. McIness can comfortably play 80 so another forward might help and by all reports he played well for Illawarra today.
The only reason Milne isn't in my team is because he isn't signed on passed next season. If he does get signed or if it gets him to sign, I'd put him on the left instead of Aitken.

And I don't mind experimentation in the halves. Widdop to 7 is the most logical, but he has struggled when it comes to leading a team around.

If anything, I'd put Mann at 7. Field should be blooded at fullback or 6 if he is in the starting team.

But yeah. I don't foresee any changes against the sharks. Maybe Leilua on the bench instead of a back. McIness can comfortably play 80 so another forward might help and by all reports he played well for Illawarra today.

Black duck
Agree re Leilua he had a great game yesterday

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mary said during the pre season it was a contest for the 7 jumper.
No real effort was made to review Mann, Field, Nona as the the die was already cast.
Not withstanding that every position should be up for grabs every week and the selection criteria is best man for the job based on performance.
That being the case I would expect to see several changes next week.
Looking at what we have I would do
Field for Mc Crone
Mann for Lafai
Milne for Aitken
Havili to the bench.
If circumstances were that changes were needed during the game
Field to FB
Dugan to centre
Mann to Half

Ot
Like your ideas
I would include Leilua on the bench
was back to his best yesterday.
Probably for host.
I don't think field will be available.
Not sure though

The Doc

Juniors
This should be the back line we run with and give it time to show what it can do.
Dufty...
Mcdonald...
Milne...
Dugan...
Mann.
Anyone remember the Walford/Offiah "black porches"?
This will give us black porches on one side and white mustangs on the other!!!
Put widdop at 7, play Field at 6.
Put Leilua on the bench...
In Dufty, Field, and Leilua we have 3 of the best up and coming juniors when it comes to attack..
Give Aitken a run in NSW cup at 2nd row....
Mcdonald and Milne will carve up...
Dugan and Mann will do the same.
Field will have a Field day (all pun intended).
And Dufty will do what he does running off Leilua.
Bite the bullet and give this team a run.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
yeah, okay trippy old dude....... You are a genius, am not permanently stoned and anyone who points out Widdop's deficiencies, the weakest link in defence and attack for 3 years must be the same person. And you remember all their names. Just waiting to take your revenge on these idiotic, stoned imposters!!!!

Glen you dipstick come up with something original you are becoming boring

gonz

Juniors
If MCidiot had balls he'd go with

1.Dufty

2.Nene McDonald

3.Milne

4.Herbert

5. Mann

6.Widdop

7.jai Field

13. De Belin