What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the Western Force get cut

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do they get a car or do they just get the local subway around? Not like WA is a big place is it ?

$70K ? They would be better off working in Bunnings....

As I mentioned though... None of us know because they don't publish the numbers..Would be very surprised if the salary is less than $100k...

With other expenses payable by the NRL it would be running a lot more than that.....

No... They are under 18 teenagers apparently moonlighting after SG Ball training ...

A car costs $9k a year plus fuel.
More at Bunnings? Now you really are being dumb
And yes I've been in the nrlwa office, I've seen the DO's, I know some of them were sg ball squad members. But yeh whatever you'd have abetter idea what tne funding is to WA I'm sure.

johnny plath

Juniors
Do they get a car or do they just get the local subway around? Not like WA is a big place is it ?

$70K ? They would be better off working in Bunnings....

As I mentioned though... None of us know because they don't publish the numbers..Would be very surprised if the salary is less than $100k...

With other expenses payable by the NRL it would be running a lot more than that.....

No... They are under 18 teenagers apparently moonlighting after SG Ball training ...
I'm no under 18 but have done DO work with NRL --- mid 50ks, plus car phone and laptop.. Don't know if every location and every DO gets the same.

BuffaloRules

Coach
A car costs $9k a year plus fuel.
More at Bunnings? Now you really are being dumb
And yes I've been in the nrlwa office, I've seen the DO's, I know some of them were sg ball squad members. But yeh whatever you'd have abetter idea what tne funding is to WA I'm sure.

Neither of us know what the funding is... My point I have repeated 3 times..

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL must make Perth club a reality
Roar Guru
By maximus182, 12 Apr 2017 maximus182 is a Roar Guru
With the Western Force likely to be sensationally dumped from Super Rugby at season’s end, the NRL must take advantage of the hole the Force’s absence will leave in the Perth sports market.

Established in 2006, the Force have been unable to achieve any real success during their 11 seasons.

While they attracted reasonable numbers of 15,000-plus to games against fellow Australian sides in their early years, crowd figures and support have begun to wane.

In 2013, the Force achieved an average crowd of 12,631 and it remained steady at 12,751 in 2014, before beginning to fall. This season, across two home games, they have achieved a measly average of 7741.

While their decline is a discussion for another article, it sees the door swinging wide open for the NRL.

In 2012, the West Coast Pirates established themselves as a genuine franchise prospect seeking to enter the National Rugby League. At the time, the group said they would only need two years to be ready to go as a first grade side, and set about strengthening their junior base.

They currently have an under-18s side playing in the SG Ball competition, and while they are presently sitting on the bottom of the table without a win this season, the fact they have had a side in the comp for over ten years (formerly as the WA Reds) is a sign of the commitment of West Australian Rugby League.

Polls conducted by both the Courier Mail and The Daily Telegraph over the last five years have shown the broader rugby league fans’ interest in having a WA side as the next expansion club, with Perth always polling highly, along with a second Brisbane team.

While it makes sense from a television timeslot and ratings point of view, the logistical aspects of travel and enticing current players to the other side of the country could prove challenging.

Former Western Reds player Mark Geyer regularly expresses his opinion that a side based in Perth could function, a view backed up by the crowd figures at recent NRL matches at the rectangular nib Stadium. Games featuring the New Zealand Warriors in Perth have attracted over 20,000-plus crowds on the last three occasions, while games between other NRL sides have been anywhere from the 13-15K mark.

The NRL has obviously earmarked Perth as a potential market to grow the game, as they are locked in to take a State of Origin match to the city in 2019. In what will be a first for the game’s most commercially portable product, the yet-to-be-completed Perth Stadium will likely host around 65,000 fans for the landmark match.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/04/12/nrl-must-make-perth-club-reality/

Nice of the writer to make mention of the Rabbitohs taking a game to Perth every year since 2009, and having it be a success.

Those 20,000 crowds were Souths games too.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Discussion on Sunday sport this morning on the prospect of nrl filling the void if Force are cut. Neil Breen, whoever he is, suggesting no way. Claims nsw and qland fans are more supportive than afl city fans therefore good for afl to expand but nrl would fail. Not sure his logic is strong.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Surely if the Force are cut the NRL must take action. The Pirates already exist, NRL games have been played there for years, WA State of Origin scheduled and soon the void may / will exist thanks to Super Rugby. If they don't do it now it will never happen.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Also could be good for Brisbane 2. I can't see them adding just one new team. But even if it is just one I'll take it over nothing.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Discussion on Sunday sport this morning on the prospect of nrl filling the void if Force are cut. Neil Breen, whoever he is, suggesting no way. Claims nsw and qland fans are more supportive than afl city fans therefore good for afl to expand but nrl would fail. Not sure his logic is strong.

The talk on the channel 9 Sunday sport show was reasonably positive. Neil Breen was ok. I agree with him that qld and nsw are more supportive of other codes. But not his conclusion that we shouldnt expand because of it. He also had a crack at the afl about the racism issue and that nrl are light years ahead. I am loving the fact that afl are having racism issues again and the union are a shambles. Surely a player has to do something soon, it's just not normal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Force not going down without a fight, says here they have sold $8million of public ownership shares so far. Maybe a model Newcastle should look at?

A GROUP of heavyweight rugby identities and millionaire businessmen are plotting to save the Western Force from Super Rugby oblivion.

The “big four” behind the campaign can today be revealed by the Daily Telegraph, and include former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers and the Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara.

Alongside them are highly successful businessmen Jon Collins, himself a former ARU and Waratahs director, and ground signage guru Raymond Burke, who has pledged to pump $50 million into the Force over the next 10 years if he can strike a deal with the West Australian government.

Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million.

“Rugby can legitimately become the No.2 code in Western Australia [behind AFL], in Melbourne AFL is clearly No.1, then there is massive support for football, and then you’ve got the Storm who are very entrenched in the city,” Flowers said.

“It is a tough job that the ARU have, one of the things I’m not sure has been done is an assessment of the impact of cutting a team.

“It’s very well to say there’s a risk in keeping the same format, but what about the damage of losing a team.”

Crowds across the SANZAAR board have been down since it was announced that three teams, including two from South Africa, would soon be axed.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/7bc5e655e7838344429755ac87c7dfbd

adamkungl

Immortal
That's not an answer FFS.
It's all very well taking about revenue(and does that include contra),and conversely just guessing or assuming expenditure.Great accounting practice.

It is a perfectly valid answer.

If the NRL have $500mil of annual revenue they can obviously afford $20mil a year to fund 2 new teams.
Unless of course, as you say, they have spent the money on other things.

However that spending, aside from absolute basics required to run the competition, is all at their discretion, based on their priorities.

The issue here is that a lot of people are seeing national expansion as a very high priority and for the NRL it isn't even on the list.
Examples of priorities:
They have chosen to spend $20mil a year or so on their new digital media department.
They chose to spend $13 million in 1 year on improving the video referee.
They chose to spend tens of millions propping up Gold Coast, Newcastle, St George, Wests.

AND They choose to spend who knows how many millions per year on goodwill image programs and feasibility studies and token Womens Advisor appointments and whatever other pointless money sinks they've glossed over in their annual report.

The NRL can absolutely afford a team in Perth. Barely a drop in the increasingly large ocean. They have chosen not to.

taipan

Referee
It is a perfectly valid answer.

If the NRL have $500mil of annual revenue they can obviously afford $20mil a year to fund 2 new teams.
Unless of course, as you say, they have spent the money on other things.

However that spending, aside from absolute basics required to run the competition, is all at their discretion, based on their priorities.

The issue here is that a lot of people are seeing national expansion as a very high priority and for the NRL it isn't even on the list.
Examples of priorities:
They have chosen to spend $20mil a year or so on their new digital media department.
They chose to spend $13 million in 1 year on improving the video referee.
They chose to spend tens of millions propping up Gold Coast, Newcastle, St George, Wests.

AND They choose to spend who knows how many millions per year on goodwill image programs and feasibility studies and token Womens Advisor appointments and whatever other pointless money sinks they've glossed over in their annual report.

The NRL can absolutely afford a team in Perth. Barely a drop in the increasingly large ocean. They have chosen not to.

If they have $500m revenue, and if they get their arses into gear on the salary cap, by all means it would be a valid answer.Which I have spelt out.Also when the Titans and Knights are sold ditto.they still haven't been sold.For what reason ?

No one knows what the cap will end up.Obviously if the NRL can keep the cap down, the more they will have available;e for things such as expansion.
The very programs such as improving player health and well being,Indigenous health well being, healthy living are hardly wasteful exercises.Suicide with U20 players has been a real issue.Anyone who thinks this is a waste ,has NFI.
Women have an important stake in the code,It is the mums generally who have inout if their kids play it or not.

The NRL under Smith wasted money on high flying execs who did little and wasted $750,000 on SFS feasibility study.
They also bought into Touch Football.

They didn't happily choose to spend tens of millions on Gold Coast etc.The fact these clubs stuffed up, left the NRL no other option but to assist.Just like the AFL and A league have done(assisted clubs) and even the Rah Rah have done.
The alternative was to let these teams wither and die, and give the AFL and A League a big leg up in those areas.

If the NRL can absolutely afford a team now ,in Perth and Brisbane why have't they done so.A drop in the ocean LOL.NRL clubs are that cheap!!!!
Perhaps getting grassroots up to scratch (which has been badly neglected) has something to do with it.Perhaps seeing the Force dramas has been unsettling.The NRL actually lost money in 2016.Perhaps our poor crowds have not helped, nor the huge sums spent by fumble ball in NSW and Old to eat into potential players.

What about money for the future.spend today and stuff tomorrow.The Skase and Allan Bond approach.

I want the code to be National,but not at the expense of grassroots, nor whiteanting your current base.Rugby league
has shot itself in the foot more often than I've had breakfasts.Any expansionary moves must IMO be done responsibly.Not the: Oh we've got the money in the Bank let's spend it.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
They may very well be justified expenditures (except Catherine Lumpy, would love to see anyone argue why the NRL gives her a salary). But the point is that the NRL has a big pile of money, well more than it needs to expand (and keep in mind this is without even arguing that the benefits of expansion should pay for itself), but has chosen its priorities otherwise.

Do you really think that every million they spend is justified? Surely you have some difference of opinion with the NRL?

This whole debate is not one of affordability but prioritised spending.

taipan

Referee
They may very well be justified expenditures (except Catherine Lumpy, would love to see anyone argue why the NRL gives her a salary). But the point is that the NRL has a big pile of money, well more than it needs to expand (and keep in mind this is without even arguing that the benefits of expansion should pay for itself), but has chosen its priorities otherwise.

Do you really think that every million they spend is justified? Surely you have some difference of opinion with the NRL?

This whole debate is not one of affordability but prioritised spending.

Not a salary a consultation fee.That lady has a fair bit of influence around the traps.Sometimes our admin needs all the help it can get, when they get some idiot players carrying on.
I'll get a better idea how much money they have (meaning piles maybe) when they finalise the salary cap.You say the code has more than it needs to expand, you know more than me, because I don't have the final surplus details based on current projections,an unknown salary cap,unknown sales figure for the Tits and Knights.

I have already stated the NRL has wasted money at times on high flying execs,SFS feasibility study under Smith,short changed the code on prior Tv deals .I could write a book.
Guess what perhaps if they had got their act together over the last few years ,we wouldn't be arguing the toss now.
Affordability .Try telling that to the ARU with the Force and Rebels ,they AFL has used up a swag of its surplus funds for expansion, and has basket cases in the Lions and Suns,still needs a lion's ransom to fund the Gnats.

The trouble is all codes, do a lot of duckshoving apparently with their accounts and are not transparent enough for their fans.

You spend what you haven't got, or what little you have got, if it doesn't work out you're caught by the short and curlies.

So tell me are grassroots ,and salary cap for a start, not prioritised spending, and players' welfare?Are DOs and NSWRL and QRL not prioritised spending? Marketing and admin ditto? Memberships?
Everyone wants his slice of the pie.Grow the pie and more can get a slice of the action.That's the way you do it.That's what the fumblers did.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They grew their pie by expansion and having a ninth game to sell with a national capital city foot print. All of the Things you mentioned are important but how do any of them grow the pie?