What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If there was a draft in the NRL

Freak

Juniors
Im sorry but if anyone actually believes that the Salary Cap is working then they need their head read!!
OK Perfect World
If there was a NRL draft give us your top 10 draft picks with the players available for next year including any juniors not in your current top 25!!

1. Ryan Cross
2. Afamagasa
3. Civanceva
4. Riddell
5. Mateo
6. Ben Smith
7. Grothe
8. Tate
9. Widders
10. Tahu

Im sure there would be others that I'd have but I don't have the availability list in front of me presently. How much fun would a draft be!!!

t-ba

Post Whore
Players off of Contract

Broncos

lockyer, tallis, civoniceva, tate, mcguire, seymour, costigan, webb, parfitt

Dogs

price, el masri, utai, thurston, grimaldi, maitua, oliver

Raiders

Wiki, monaghan, robertson

Sharks

peachey, nutley, gallen, dumas, bird, franz, kent, rieck, gibson

Eagles

Donald, hoopate, torrens, williamson, hollingsworth, bradley-qalilawa, paterson

Storm

orford, macdougall, shan, kidwell

Knights

johns, kennedy, tahu, o'davies, gidley, newton, parsons, carmont, fitzgerald, seage, ennis

Cowboys

campion, morrison, fien, strickland, brenton bowen

Eels

Grothe, widders, hopkins, mckinnon, moi moi, stapelton, muspratt, langi, kativerata

Panthers

galea, whatuira, pritchard, puletua

rabbits

stringers, watts, death, hookey, thompson, leafa, riddle, fa'alogo, merideth, russo, alley-tovio, caine, smith

dragons

ryles, riddell, hornby, kite, head, simmonds, gorrell, jensen, poore, howell, long, holdsworth

roosters

ricketson, walker, robinson, walker, cusack, catic, crouch, lester, mercer, dorn, phillips

warriors

tookey, hohaia, murphy, mellars

tigers

senter, skandallis, bronson, covell, buettner, miles, isakka, viane, heighington, branighan

t-ba

Post Whore
To make it more interesting, introduce the AFL draft System (Say, priority picks for teams with 5 or less wins) and Use the Friday Telegraphs predictions for the end of the Season

Draft order
1-South Sydney
2-Manly
3-New Zealand
4-Cowboys

Priority Picks
5-Souths
6-Manly
7-New Zealand
8-Cowboys

The Rest
9-NTH QLD
10-Parramatta
11-Cronulla
12-Wests
13-Canberra
14-Melbourne
15-St George-Illa
16-Newcastle
17-Brisbane
18-Bulldogs
19-Penrith
20-Roosters

Freak

Juniors
Yes you would use the Telegraph prediction order :clap:

Any chance of getting a nom from each club to perform this little exercise.

South Sydney
Manly
New Zealand
Cowboys
NTH QLD
Parramatta - Freak
Cronulla
West Tigers
Canberra
Melbourne
St George-Illa
Newcastle
Brisbane
Bulldogs
Penrith
Roosters

t-ba

Post Whore
Freak said:
Yes you would use the Telegraph prediction order :clap:

I would. Paul kent backed himself into a nice corner by making it that the only points Souths and Manly could possibly recieve will be from the 2 matches they play against each other (Typical Bears fan...).

davi

Juniors
Gus Gould is fed up with the player movement and players getting paid way more then there market value. He has reiterated calls for a internal draft or what you would call a free agent draft, but he has also admitted it won't happen. He makes a convincing argument that it would solve alot of the shortcomings, but the RLPA wouldn't have a bar of it.

Channel Nine commentator Phil Gould calls for an internal NRL draft

Many of our current day NRL players are simply not worth the ridiculous amounts of money that we see quoted in newspaper columns every day.

Now, I understand that life is not about what you are worth, it’s about what you can negotiate. If players can find a club desperate enough to pay these amounts of money, then good luck to them. But the current system is wrong, and I believe highly damaging to the future of our code.

I’d be surprised if fans aren’t totally fed up with all this talk of player movement. We read of clubs being stripped of their stars, weaker clubs losing out to the bigger clubs in the battle to sign marquee talent, and even suggestions that players will ask for a release from their current club only six weeks into this year’s competition, to join another NRL team.

Can anyone seriously argue that this is good for our game?

One of the big problems with rugby league today, is that because there are absolutely no controls on player movement between NRL clubs, some player managers simply play the current system to hold clubs to ransom.

Most of the older player managers who’ve been around a while, are quite reasonable. They have a care for the game and a respect for the clubs. They obviously have an important role to play in the finances and general well-being of their clients, however, they understand the importance of stability and the benefits that can be gained by having their client in a settled environment with good people around him.

For others, it’s simply a game of trying to extract the most amount of money, every time a contract is coming up for renewal.

The other problem with unrestricted player movement between NRL clubs is that it’s too easy for the bigger, stronger clubs to attract the most elite talent. For example, if Cronulla’s Jack Bird has a choice between going to the Brisbane Broncos, or the Newcastle Knights, you don’t have to be a genius to work out how that’s going to end. There should be a system in place that gives the team at the bottom of the competition ladder, whoever it may be, first option at securing one of the current off-contract stars.

Yes, I’m talking about and Internal Draft System to regulate the movement of NRL players between NRL clubs. The player draft should be held once a year. It would be a massive event. It solves so many of the problems we have in our game around salary caps and player movement.

Other codes throughout this country and around the world seem to be able to deal with having a player draft. Good old “rugby league” has found a way to avoid it

As it stands, if struggling clubs are to be successful in attracting a top-line player, they need to pay a huge premium to get that player to come to their club, which then totally distorts player market values.

The current system is just too messy for words. It is a total distraction for everybody in the game.

All this talk about footballers being worth $1 million a year under the new salary cap is ridiculous.

Firstly, I don’t see any million-dollar footballers in the NRL today.

Secondly, to pay even one player, in a 30-man playing roster, this extraordinary amount of money, would have significant ramifications on the management of your salary cap and the wages you would have to pay other key members of your squad.

There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge in the negotiation between the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association to determine a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. I don’t want to waste anybody’s time speaking about the NRL’s first offer of a salary cap level for season 2018 and beyond. We will talk more about this another time.

However, I just want to get back to this notion of the “million-dollar footballer”.

I don’t see any million-dollar footballers in the game today. No individual should be earning $1 million out of this fixed-wage salary cap.

There are several players who could earn a lot more than $1 million, thanks to sponsorships, personal business ventures, media deals and third-party corporate contributions. But no player in the game today, should be getting $1 million out of the fixed salary cap, especially if the cap ends up being only $8.3m, as the NRL proposes.

Now, just for clarification, four years ago I offered the great Johnathan Thurston $1.2m a season to come and play at the Panthers. I felt the money was justified. He was worth it. He was at the top of his game. At that stage of his career Johnathan was still steering the Australian Test Team and Queensland State of Origin team to victories. Shortly after this time he led the North Queensland Cowboys to premiership success. When I made this offer, I was not trying to win a premiership with this one purchase. I was merely hoping for Johnathan to come and teach our young players how to play, and inspire our youth through his extraordinary leadership and work ethic. I also felt that his profile would be wonderful for the promotion of our sport in Western Sydney given we were facing stiff competition from other codes. Johnathan Thurston would be the perfect role model for all young kids in our area. I believe he would become an inspiration for these kids to play and fall in love with our game of rugby league.

I was so confident of the things that he could do for our club both on and off the field, that I was prepared to list him in our salary cap at $1.2 million. If Johnathan accepted that deal he would be playing his last year with the Panthers in 2017.

In a fixed salary cap of $8.3m as proposed, I don’t think Johnathan Thurston is worth $1m. He is approaching 34 years of age, and whilst many in the media will romance that he is playing in the best form of his career, the fact remains he is not doing the same things he was doing five seasons ago. He is approaching the end of his career. He could command significant sponsorship dollars outside the salary cap through third-party arrangements, but from the fixed wage pool of the salary cap, I would only value him at around the $700,000 figure. Today, Johnathan needs quality players around him.

Now, if Thurston is not a million-dollar footballer, then I suggest no other player in the game today is worth a million dollars a season in the salary cap.

For me, $1 million footballer, would have to be winning somewhere between 60-70% of the games he plays. He would also have to be a significant contributor to that winning percentage.

The players today that the media tout as million-dollar footballers fall well short of these criteria.

In an $8.3 million salary cap, which must be spread across 30 players, with a proposed minimum wage of $100,000, I say there is no player currently in the game today who could command $1 million a season out of this figure.

Even if the salary cap was to increase to the more realistic and sensible figure of $10 million, (which almost everyone expected it to do after the latest broadcast rights deal), I still can’t see where any individual in our game today commands a million-dollar salary out of that 30-man wage pool.

There are so many other things I could talk about when negotiating contracts for players at certain stages of their development. The management of the salary cap is extremely difficult and every single day, every club in the NRL would be addressing their salary cap for this year and planning for future years.

I can tell you that players reading about other players commanding $1 million a season, doesn’t help at all.

You may have a differing opinion. However, when you are trying to manage a 30-man playing roster for both the short and long term future of your club, I humbly suggest that paying someone $1m out of the salary cap will do you more harm than good."

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/12/...ld-calls-for-an-nrl-draft#MDKjcm6Zvh4jDWW9.99

The Great Dane

First Grade
A proper draft can't happen so long as junior development is left in the hands of the clubs, a free agent draft won't work unless it's mandatory and I can't see the RLPA agreeing to that, and I doubt that it's legal anyway.

So I don't really see the point in even discussing it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gus wants ANY player changing clubs to enter a draft, not rookies like most professional sports.

It is the single stupidest idea i've ever heard raised in Rugby League and is completely anti-player.

This is gus.
No player is worth $1mill now but he would have paid $1.2mill a few years ago. On you Gus lol.

T-Boon

Coach
A proper draft can't happen so long as junior development is left in the hands of the clubs, a free agent draft won't work unless it's mandatory and I can't see the RLPA agreeing to that, and I doubt that it's legal anyway.

So I don't really see the point in even discussing it.

The best thing a rookie draft would do is if done right it could mean agents can't have access to players until 18 or 19.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Gus Gould is fed up with the player movement and players getting paid way more then there market value. He has reiterated calls for a internal draft or what you would call a free agent draft, but he has also admitted it won't happen. He makes a convincing argument that it would solve alot of the shortcomings, but the RLPA wouldn't have a bar of it.

Many of our current day NRL players are simply not worth the ridiculous amounts of money that we see quoted in newspaper columns every day.

Now, I understand that life is not about what you are worth, it’s about what you can negotiate. If players can find a club desperate enough to pay these amounts of money, then good luck to them. But the current system is wrong, and I believe highly damaging to the future of our code.

I’d be surprised if fans aren’t totally fed up with all this talk of player movement. We read of clubs being stripped of their stars, weaker clubs losing out to the bigger clubs in the battle to sign marquee talent, and even suggestions that players will ask for a release from their current club only six weeks into this year’s competition, to join another NRL team.

One of the big problems with rugby league today, is that because there are absolutely no controls on player movement between NRL clubs, some player managers simply play the current system to hold clubs to ransom.

Most of the older player managers who’ve been around a while, are quite reasonable. They have a care for the game and a respect for the clubs. They obviously have an important role to play in the finances and general well-being of their clients, however, they understand the importance of stability and the benefits that can be gained by having their client in a settled environment with good people around him.

For others, it’s simply a game of trying to extract the most amount of money, every time a contract is coming up for renewal.

The other problem with unrestricted player movement between NRL clubs is that it’s too easy for the bigger, stronger clubs to attract the most elite talent. For example, if Cronulla’s Jack Bird has a choice between going to the Brisbane Broncos, or the Newcastle Knights, you don’t have to be a genius to work out how that’s going to end. There should be a system in place that gives the team at the bottom of the competition ladder, whoever it may be, first option at securing one of the current off-contract stars.

Yes, I’m talking about and Internal Draft System to regulate the movement of NRL players between NRL clubs. The player draft should be held once a year. It would be a massive event. It solves so many of the problems we have in our game around salary caps and player movement.

Other codes throughout this country and around the world seem to be able to deal with having a player draft. Good old “rugby league” has found a way to avoid it

As it stands, if struggling clubs are to be successful in attracting a top-line player, they need to pay a huge premium to get that player to come to their club, which then totally distorts player market values.

The current system is just too messy for words. It is a total distraction for everybody in the game.

All this talk about footballers being worth $1 million a year under the new salary cap is ridiculous.

Secondly, to pay even one player, in a 30-man playing roster, this extraordinary amount of money, would have significant ramifications on the management of your salary cap and the wages you would have to pay other key members of your squad.

There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge in the negotiation between the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association to determine a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. I don’t want to waste anybody’s time speaking about the NRL’s first offer of a salary cap level for season 2018 and beyond. We will talk more about this another time.

However, I just want to get back to this notion of the “million-dollar footballer”.

I don’t see any million-dollar footballers in the game today. No individual should be earning $1 million out of this fixed-wage salary cap.

There are several players who could earn a lot more than $1 million, thanks to sponsorships, personal business ventures, media deals and third-party corporate contributions. But no player in the game today, should be getting $1 million out of the fixed salary cap, especially if the cap ends up being only $8.3m, as the NRL proposes.

Now, just for clarification, four years ago I offered the great Johnathan Thurston $1.2m a season to come and play at the Panthers. I felt the money was justified. He was worth it. He was at the top of his game. At that stage of his career Johnathan was still steering the Australian Test Team and Queensland State of Origin team to victories. Shortly after this time he led the North Queensland Cowboys to premiership success. When I made this offer, I was not trying to win a premiership with this one purchase. I was merely hoping for Johnathan to come and teach our young players how to play, and inspire our youth through his extraordinary leadership and work ethic. I also felt that his profile would be wonderful for the promotion of our sport in Western Sydney given we were facing stiff competition from other codes. Johnathan Thurston would be the perfect role model for all young kids in our area. I believe he would become an inspiration for these kids to play and fall in love with our game of rugby league.

I was so confident of the things that he could do for our club both on and off the field, that I was prepared to list him in our salary cap at $1.2 million. If Johnathan accepted that deal he would be playing his last year with the Panthers in 2017.

In a fixed salary cap of $8.3m as proposed, I don’t think Johnathan Thurston is worth $1m. He is approaching 34 years of age, and whilst many in the media will romance that he is playing in the best form of his career, the fact remains he is not doing the same things he was doing five seasons ago. He is approaching the end of his career. He could command significant sponsorship dollars outside the salary cap through third-party arrangements, but from the fixed wage pool of the salary cap, I would only value him at around the $700,000 figure. Today, Johnathan needs quality players around him.

Now, if Thurston is not a million-dollar footballer, then I suggest no other player in the game today is worth a million dollars a season in the salary cap.

For me, $1 million footballer, would have to be winning somewhere between 60-70% of the games he plays. He would also have to be a significant contributor to that winning percentage.

The players today that the media tout as million-dollar footballers fall well short of these criteria.

In an $8.3 million salary cap, which must be spread across 30 players, with a proposed minimum wage of $100,000, I say there is no player currently in the game today who could command $1 million a season out of this figure.

Even if the salary cap was to increase to the more realistic and sensible figure of $10 million, (which almost everyone expected it to do after the latest broadcast rights deal), I still can’t see where any individual in our game today commands a million-dollar salary out of that 30-man wage pool.

There are so many other things I could talk about when negotiating contracts for players at certain stages of their development. The management of the salary cap is extremely difficult and every single day, every club in the NRL would be addressing their salary cap for this year and planning for future years.

I can tell you that players reading about other players commanding $1 million a season, doesn’t help at all.

You may have a differing opinion. However, when you are trying to manage a 30-man playing roster for both the short and long term future of your club, I humbly suggest that paying someone $1m out of the salary cap will do you more harm than good."

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/12/...ld-calls-for-an-nrl-draft#MDKjcm6Zvh4jDWW9.99

Are you from Channel Nein? No one pays Gus this much attention.

Kudos to a 15 year bump. I think thats a record for you.

POPEYE

Coach
A draft would work well if there were 16 like Bellamy, what would he be worth if all clubs had to educate the players they were granted. To make the best of a draft every coach and his entourage would have to be 'super' and cost a club a squillion . . . maybe coaches should be drafted instead of players

Pedge1971

First Grade
Even if the salary cap was to increase to the more realisticand sensible figure of $10 million, (which almost everyone expected it to do after the latest broadcast rights deal), I still can’t see where any individual in our game today commands a million-dollar salary out of that 30-man wage pool.

There it is, the whole point of Gus' article. Gus loves to pretend he writes fearlessly about what is best for the game. But as mentioned in another thread it is clear the Panthers have signed their entire roster up next year to an assumed cap. This is Gus' chance to get it out there now to prepare for a future battle if it is suddenly less.

To be honest the NRL are responsible for the whole debacle but cagey old Gus has leveraged the situation well for Penrith. No doubt his mates at the Roosters, Donkeys and Dogs are progressing to the same agenda.

Smart management but somewhat hypocritical of old Gus pretending to care what us best for the game when really pushing his and Penriths agenda.

davi

Juniors
Are you from Channel Nein? No one pays Gus this much attention.

Kudos to a 15 year bump. I think thats a record for you.

Allright myrrh ken I get it, you think I'm necroposter. You have posted it about 25 times.

However all my posts are relevant to the topic and I post to encourage debate and don't see the point in creating duplicate threads. Why don't you have a go at the people who are Trolls that just post crap. Jeezzz

coolsteve

Juniors

f**k , for a minute there I thought you wrote that whole story yourself

If the NRL brings in a draft can I draft in a blind, deaf dementia patient to replace the NRL CEO?

Doesn't sound like a top draft pick but you've got to start improving your team bit by bit when it's completely shit.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Allright myrrh ken I get it, you think I'm necroposter. You have posted it about 25 times.

However all my posts are relevant to the topic and I post to encourage debate and don't see the point in creating duplicate threads. Why don't you have a go at the people who are Trolls that just post crap. Jeezzz

Well where is your opinion? You never seem to put that in - you just reference articles. It's odd that's all but don't take it to heart.

Here's my view - I think its a dumb idea to introduce a draft just to stop inflation on player wages. What's the use of clubs developing juniors if they just have to give them up automatically?

Why not just put some hard caps on player wages? Ie no player is allowed to get paid more than X% of the annual salary cap per season.

If they publish player wages, get rid of TPAs or at least make them transparent and increase salary cap concessions for player loyalty then that might also help.

Latest posts