What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'll Share What I've Heard...

Anonymous

Juniors
Now, before I begin, I don't know how much of this is based in truth...

But anyway, I'll share it anyway, because it's come from a pretty reliable source. Don't blame me if I'm wrong - but if I'm right... well, you heard it hear first!

Anyway...

Chris Anderson will head off and coach the Roos. Upon his return, he'll be retiring from coaching altogether, meaning he'll step down as Sharks and Kangaroos coach and settle into a happy existence with his family somewhere, leaving all the stress behind. Cronulla will quite happily say goodbye, perhaps with a nice parting settlement, and we'll be saved all the hassles of a lengthy court case.

Will it happen? We can only hope so...

Matt23

Staff member
...and Stuart Raper will taking over as head coach with Steve Rogers as his assistant?

Anonymous

Juniors
Well don't know about the Rogers becoming an assistant, but yes, with Raper being appointed coach for one year, with his future to be assessed after eight rounds of next season.

incredible_holc

Juniors
maybe stuie could get his good friend ET back and involved with the club.
One thinks that et is another one who doesnt like Ando

El Garbo said:
++ Gregos v.4 said:
And if the performance is "below par" after eight rounds?

*sigh*

One would presume we'd go into the market for a decent coach...

What is the current Australian Test coach if not a decent coach? How much more decent do they want?

It seems that they just want a coach who is not going to upset the Board by questioning their decisions or not causing any controversy. Excuse me, didn't we have that with John Lang? The nicest guy you would ever meet, but couldn't win us a premiership after five seasons of trying (I think it was five, correct me if I'm wrong). Then we let him go to embrace a so called winning culture and he only needs two seasons with Penrith to help them win one.

To my mind, all the Board has therefore done is wasted two seasons. Not only that, but we've lost the bulk of our playing roster and risk losing the three big names that we have for 2004 if Anderson goes. If he does go, assumably Stuart Raper will then have to achieve results over the first eight rounds of 2004 to keep his job, but with very little to work with. He'll be fighting a losing battle and any optimism I have for a big turnaround next season has gone right out the window.

I've been critical of Anderson for persisting with the flat attack for way too long last season, for getting rid of Treister and Graham, and for the dummy spit over his son; but the Board is at least equally to blame for letting things reach the point that they have. It is ackowledged that he has upset the club's powers that be, possibly stemming back to that incident involving some Board members and the team bus, but the guy is the current Australian coach and arguably the best coach in rugby league. Get over the battle of egos and work something out now. Don't wait until the Kangaroo tour is over and leave it until it is too late to save next season.

The best thing would be to put their respective differences aside and work together to win us loyal supporters the premiership that we've been waiting 36+ years for. Keep Anderson and let him work with the team that he has now assembled through 2004 to try and finish the job he has started. If he fails, then he falls on his sword, there is no huge payout to financially cripple the club, and we can start again in the 2005 season. But if we keep going down the road we are heading, all I can see is a quadruple whammy of:
- a long and drawn out legal battle for an improper termination of Anderson's contract with a fair likelihood that the club will have to shell out big money to settle the matter;
- loss of key players (Vagana, Bailey and Kimmorley are likely to trigger their get out clauses if Anderson goes) or use this as a lever to renegotiate their existinng contracts for more money;
- Stuart Raper takes over the coaching role but with little to work with and knowing that he only has eight rounds to get it right; and
- weakening of the club's base (the diehard Sharks' fans will never walk but the loyalists are usually only a small proportion of the total supporter base), jeopardise sponsorship, and make it difficult to attract quality new players to the club.

To summarise, if Anderson goes, we're f**ked for 2004.

Macca

Coach
Great post Eskimo. I agree with you totally. Give him one more year and either way the Sharks finish up better than they do if they cut him this year.

Punk

Juniors
I agree that he should be given until the end of next year. He stated that it would take him three years to win us a premiership, and so far it has only been two. We had one good season and one poor season. Next year could be either. If it's a good year but the club still wants to see him go, he was issued his third warning and denied the means to coach any longer.
If Anderson is removed, it is highly unlikely Stuart Raper is going to win us a premiership in the first season, if at all. It will take him a great period of time to gain the necessary first grade NRL coach experience.
If Anderson remains and Raper assists him, he will be given invaluable knowledge and experience and ultimately be a better coach because of it.

Yes, there has been a lot of distasteful occurances recently and a lot of unwanted media attention, but that has mainly arose because of The Sharks inability to deal with him correctly and their attempts to remove him as coach. He did not impose this 'player ban' on himself. It seems the situation has been dealt with poorly.

Anderson said he would need three years to win a premiership, if he doesn't win one next year he may look somewhat idiotic after his 'prophesy'. If we remove him now, it's extremely doubtful that Raper will win us a premiership next year. Raper, despite what others will say, needs time to find his feet and doesn't need to be thrown in the deep end. If the board handle the situation better, there would be less unwanted media attention.
Ergo, give him one more year.

shadowboxer

First Grade
so either way the perception is we are stuffed. I hate Ando for as much of his pig headedness and arrogance but the board need a good slap if they think the under handed tactics will wash with the supporters. I think they left it a bit late in the piece to start throwing thier wieght around and if anything they are equally to blame for the fiasco.

Anyone asked the common fan in the street about it? Dont be silly why would they care, although most social gatherings i have been to in the last two weeks have had the sharks as the main topic of conversation. I just hope this is settled sooner than later for the sake of the players, the fans and our name.

Feej

First Grade
Would any of this have occured had Peter Gow been in charge???

I think not. :cry:

Special K

Coach
If Opes retires will Bailey, Vagana etc still wanna get out?

If so where could they go? The Tigers? :lol: . We still have money to give them new contracts under the cap but I don't know if the money will be there after the pay out.

SirShire

First Grade
Eskimo Sharkie said:
What is the current Australian Test coach if not a decent coach? How much more decent do they want?

It seems that they just want a coach who is not going to upset the Board by questioning their decisions or not causing any controversy.

It is ackowledged that he has upset the club's powers that be, possibly stemming back to that incident involving some Board members and the team bus, but the guy is the current Australian coach and arguably the best coach in rugby league. Get over the battle of egos and work something out now. Don't wait until the Kangaroo tour is over and leave it until it is too late to save next season.

The best thing would be to put their respective differences aside and work together to win us loyal supporters the premiership that we've been waiting 36+ years for. Keep Anderson and let him work with the team that he has now assembled through 2004 to try and finish the job he has started. If he fails, then he falls on his sword, there is no huge payout to financially cripple the club, and we can start again in the 2005 season. But if we keep going down the road we are heading, all I can see is a quadruple whammy of:
- a long and drawn out legal battle for an improper termination of Anderson's contract with a fair likelihood that the club will have to shell out big money to settle the matter;
- loss of key players (Vagana, Bailey and Kimmorley are likely to trigger their get out clauses if Anderson goes) or use this as a lever to renegotiate their existinng contracts for more money;
- Stuart Raper takes over the coaching role but with little to work with and knowing that he only has eight rounds to get it right; and
- weakening of the club's base (the diehard Sharks' fans will never walk but the loyalists are usually only a small proportion of the total supporter base), jeopardise sponsorship, and make it difficult to attract quality new players to the club.

To summarise, if Anderson goes, we're f**ked for 2004.

Well said Eskimo. Now is as good time as any to get a premiership. We've got the players and the coach. I am confident that Ando can bring home the bacon (or get up there) next year if we let him. It isnt the board's job to coach a team, its the coachs. Let Ando do his job. Resolving their issues is the key, not through firing people. Surely they realise that they are making fools of us in the public eye?

Jarrad Anderson must have seen it coming. He was never going to play next year in first grade. While his dad did spit the dummy, the way Ando Jnr was dealt with was the most piss poor I have seen. They should be shot for that. Poor form and Ando has a right to have a go at them. :!:

Supporting Ando for 04 :p

shadowboxer

First Grade
what do we have to lose? You dont come this far only to get cold feet. I think you will find though is that Raper will be the main man next season, if only for our first 8 games. From ther onwards will be anyones guess.

Feej said:
Would any of this have occured had Peter Gow been in charge???

I think not. :cry:

Definitely not.

And I love the Mother in Law comment. Did you also notice that Santa is an anagram of Satan? I tell my kids that Santa is really the Devil and, no, they won't be getting any Christmas presents this year (I'm joking).