What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illawarra RL

dragon-83

Juniors
The game against the Warriors will also be on steele sports next week .
Field has picked up a hamstring injury.

Smurf

Juniors
Illawarra have recorded successive wins for the first time in the 2017 Intrust Super Premiership NSW season, running out 22 points to 12 victors over the Newtown Jets at WIN Stadium.

Not shaken by the conceit of an early try, the hosts ran in four tries to the Jets’ two, in what was a dominant display at home albeit in trying conditions.

In a dour first-half played in periods of rain, Newtown were first to strike, courtesy of centre Matt Evans who dashed down the western touchline to score in just the third minute of play.

Evans finished off a slick counter attack to send the visitors out by four, and so it would remain as halfback Fa’amanu Brown missed the ensuing shot at goal.

As the rain tumbled so too did men with the ball in hand, as handling proved difficult in slippery circumstances.

Settling into the match, Newtown’s Brown would have no such issue sending the ball through the posts at the second time of trying, opting to take a gift two points when presented with a penalty directly in front of the posts.

The 30th minute penalty sent the visitors out by a converted try margin, which would soon be erased as Illawarra hit back on the stroke of half-time.

A penalty kick for line to the Jets which didn’t find the mark presented Illawarra with a chance to swing the momentum, and that they did soon after the Newtown error, as Jai Field collected a loose ball to score.

The fleet-footed 19-year-old half dashed the better part of 80 metres to score his side's first, running the ball under the uprights to present halves partner Shaun Nona with the simplest of conversion attempts.

With the scores at 6-apiece, the half-time siren sounded and the sides returned to the sheds ahead of the second period.

At the change of ends, Illawarra found quick points when interchange forward Josh Kerr crashed over for a try in the 41st minute.

Again, Nona would have little trouble extending the margin, sending Illawarra out by 12 points to 6.

Onlookers could have been forgiven for feeling a case of déjà vu, with Kerr bundling his way over the line for a near-identical second try under the uprights.

Nona obliged from the tee, taking the score to 18-6 with 27 minutes to play.

Needing quick points the Jets were cruelled by their own mistakes, presenting Illawarra with attacking opportunities which they were intent to capitalise upon.

Christopher Lewis found his way through a gaping hole in the Newtown defence as Nona laid on the side’s fourth unanswered try.

Nona’s perfect streak with the boot came to an end when he pushed the attempted conversion wide, though the hosts enjoyed a 16-point buffer with a quarter of the match to play.

Newtown only found more trouble as they threw caution to the wind in the search of late points, with errors plaguing their hopes of a miracle revival.

In a disjointed end to proceedings penalties and errors took the sting out of the play.

Though not to trouble the end result, the Jets took some consolation out of a late try to winger Leigh Higgins, taking the score to the eventual final margin of 22 points to 12.

ILLAWARRA RLFC – 22

Tries: Field, Kerr (2), Lewis | Goals: Nona (3/4)

DEF. NEWTOWN JETS – 12

Tries: Evans, Higgins | Goals: Brown (Conv. 1/2, Pen. 1/1)

The next generation of NRL and NSW VB Blues players come directly from the Intrust Super Premiership NSW – click here for the latest on NSWRL’s blue-ribbon open-age competition.

monsterkev

Juniors
Kerr should be playing 1st grade in place of host
Again this is saints buying players and then leave them languishing in lower grades until another club sees their worth

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I believe Illawarra is a very strong team. A lot of dropped ball limited their ability to score more heavily today. But now 2 good wins after a poor Round 1.

A number of impressive performances. I thought Josh Kerr was terrific. Apart from his 2 tries he made so much ground. Very hard to stop. Leilua was the most involved I have seen him. Plenty of good runs, good hands and active in defence. Sele, Laurie and Hind all strong. I rate Havili highly. Nona, a great kicking game. Herbert and Dodd elusive. Great individual length of the field try to Jai though otherwise quiet in his one half. Dufty very secure at the back.

Mose only given about 14 + 10 mins. Didn't make the same impression of his younger colleagues.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Did you see the game Kev? Kerr was only mentioned when he scored the tries on the radio call. He was rarely mentioned otherwise. The NRL forwards should be reviewed after the Sharks game. I feel that Thompson runs hot and cold and think that Havili should be bench hooker. Hind and Lewis also are good value. With our pathetic backline we are relying on the
forwards to score plenty of tries as our
NRL backs are pathetic and directionless.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Did you see the game Kev? Kerr was only mentioned when he scored the tries on the radio call. He was rarely mentioned otherwise. The NRL forwards should be reviewed after the Sharks game. I feel that Thompson runs hot and cold and think that Havili should be bench hooker. Hind and Lewis also are good value. With our pathetic backline we are relying on the
forwards to score plenty of tries as our
NRL backs are pathetic and directionless.

Let me repeat for you, Dragon Revival, Kerr was very strong. Took the ball up hard and fast many times. If he didn't get mentioned on the call I would not rate the caller. Havili always good value. Lewis is always strong, so too Hind but Lawrie and Sele were also impressive. If they hold possession this team will be very hard to beat in the NSW Cup.

Drakon

Juniors
Let me repeat for you, Dragon Revival, Kerr was very strong. Took the ball up hard and fast many times. If he didn't get mentioned on the call I would not rate the caller. Havili always good value. Lewis is always strong, so too Hind but Lawrie and Sele were also impressive. If they hold possession this team will be very hard to beat in the NSW Cup.
I didn't see today's game but have seen two Illawarra games this year. Kerr is a big boy but no way in those two games would I have had him replace Host. In fact I think Hind and Lawrie and Sele played better tham Kerr in the games I saw.

What a load of the proverbial Kev - 'Again this is saints buying players and then leave them languishing in lower grades until another club sees their worth' .

He has had three competition games for us now off the bench in the ISP and you are saying he is languishing in a lower grade. Get used to it. He will be here a while longer proving himself.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I didn't see today's game but have seen two Illawarra games this year. Kerr is a big boy but no way in those two games would I have had him replace Host. In fact I think Hind and Lawrie and Sele played better tham Kerr in the games I saw.

What a load of the proverbial Kev - 'Again this is saints buying players and then leave them languishing in lower grades until another club sees their worth' .

He has had three competition games for us now off the bench in the ISP and you are saying he is languishing in a lower grade. Get used to it. He will be here a while longer proving himself.

Drakon, I have seen all 3 games and would not dispute your observations from Rds 1&2. Rd 1 was a very lacklustre effort from most of the team. Before today I had just viewed Kerr as a big boy. However today he was tremendous and I can see why he was signed. As.i have mentioned Hind, Lawrie and Sele were all good today. But it was Kerr who really caught my eye along with an excellent kicking game from Nona. Also Leilua was strong.

I have just reported what I observed. I would certainly not be looking to replace Host. I think he is a terrific player and would like to see him play more minutes.

Drakon

Juniors
I value your opinion Dragonsteve2 and I certainly hope Kerr does well. I just think he needs to earn his stripes. My point was I don't think he is languishing at the moment. I understand the history of Saints lower grade players languishing but to say he is languishing after 3 days is just sensationalist crap.

I'd like to see Hind get a run in the NRL. He does the hard yards every week. Tough customer. Watch Lawrie too. He looks like he could have a good future. Glad to hear Nona did well. I like him and hope he gets a run in 1st grade too.

emu62

Juniors
I believe Illawarra is a very strong team. A lot of dropped ball limited their ability to score more heavily today. But now 2 good wins after a poor Round 1.

A number of impressive performances. I thought Josh Kerr was terrific. Apart from his 2 tries he made so much ground. Very hard to stop. Leilua was the most involved I have seen him. Plenty of good runs, good hands and active in defence. Sele, Laurie and Hind all strong. I rate Havili highly. Nona, a great kicking game. Herbert and Dodd elusive. Great individual length of the field try to Jai though otherwise quiet in his one half. Dufty very secure at the back.

Mose only given about 14 + 10 mins. Didn't make the same impression of his younger colleagues.

Thanks for your summary Steve, much appreciated

possm

Coach
Mary is the main problem. He picks favourites and tries to pick winners. Then he sticks with those players no matter what.

A good coach should be picking the best possible team each week. Just because the team won last week, the top 17 should be reviewed and a game plan produced to defeat the opposition the next week.

Sometimes players who have a deficiency or do not have the skills to carry out a certain game plan need to be replaced by players who do have the skills required and who have demonstrated good form in the lower grade.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Steelers is on the front of the jumper, the team should be called this if it doesn't fall under SGI's auspices.
It's likely it doesn't sit well with the Steelers club. I imagine the last thing they want is to oversee the demise of another 'Illawarra Steelers' team.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I agree Possum that he plays favourites and ignores form.
Players like Aitken, Lafai, McCrone and Nightingale are not up to consistent NRL match winning
form and yet Mary keeps
selecting them.
He seems to have cleaned out the forwards of mediocre players and boasts about how he will win games with a power game by his big forwards. However he needs to clean out the backs where we have little talent and little pace. He should start with Dugan, Mac Donald and Widdop and promote players who can defend and score tries and create havoc with the opposition defence. Our 2010 premiership winning side had the following backline players who were all at their peak:-
Boyd
Nightingale
Gasnier
Cooper
Morris
Soward
Hornby
They were all good defensive players, had great attacking ability.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The backline that we had in 2010 could proudly represent NSW
in State of Origin whereas our current backline would struggle in NSW Cup. Oh how the once
Mighty have fallen!

Latest posts