What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illawarra RL

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Kerr is well down the list of possible 1st grade bench players, I'd even take Marketo's experience ahead of him.

On Host, we want him to succeed and we know that takes time for a forward to hit their straps but we really don't have time or room to muck around this year. Our 2017 starting pack is the best we've had for a long time and could take us places. Then we have our bench, Ah Mau comes on and makes big metres and adds quality defence. Sims comes on and adds good metres and some aggression to fire up his mates. Host so far this year unfortunately, with similar minutes has had half the work rate of those guys and little impact. It's true and he's copped a couple of ugly hammerings as well. Quite simply he needs to step it up to hold his spot. The argument that he's not been given the ball is totally spurious, he's a bench forward, it's his job to get in there and make as many hit ups and tackles as he can in the time he's out there and that's regardless of when or why Mary makes the interchange. None of this ahh you're young and inexperienced mate, just work your way slowly into it bs. He put in some great performances last year and he needs to get his mojo back fast. We need impact off the bench or to at least keep any momentum we have going.

Kit 66,
You have made some valid points. Before seeing Kerr out wide yesterday I would have agreed about the bench. But yesterday he certainly displayed his potential.

Marketo for one game on the bench would do a predictably solid job but Sele, Lawrie, Leilua and Hind would all give better long-term value.

I agree with Old Timer. A forward coming off the bench with maybe 25 mins left is just too late to allow him to get into the game. Poor use of the bench(surprise! Surprise!) A young forward needs to be given more time for his development and match conditioning. In the NSW Cup yesterday I think Luc really showed the benefit of playing 80 minutes.

Some games, like last week, Thommo's stats are limited. Does he always have to play 80 minutes? He was of course terrific Rd1 but sometimes does he Coast to get through the full 80?

I'll say it now no matter how well Hind played he will never see first grade at the Dragons.

The same can be said for Nona, Lewis and Dodd they are just gap fillers for the NSW Cup only.

Wakeman knew this was the case and he left thats how things are at the Dragons players just get shafted and eventually get the shits and leave.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's likely it doesn't sit well with the Steelers club. I imagine the last thing they want is to oversee the demise of another 'Illawarra Steelers' team.

Perhaps it's acquiescence is caused by an inability to financially look after a team even at reserve grade level?

This said, the team should be bequeathed a nickname.

Drakon

Juniors
I'll say it now no matter how well Hind played he will never see first grade at the Dragons.

The same can be said for Nona, Lewis and Dodd they are just gap fillers for the NSW Cup only.

Wakeman knew this was the case and he left thats how things are at the Dragons players just get shafted and eventually get the shits and leave.
I fear you are right coast. However, Hind deserves a shot at some stage and Nona is deserving of his first grade debut. He is a great goal kicker and has a certain X factor about him.

Nona has alot of good qualities as a half.

He would add something McCrone can't but will just languish in the lower grades.

Drakon

Juniors
I doubt Nona will get a shot unless McCrone gets injured. Even then, Field will probably get first shot unless injured too.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Host just needs game time and time to develop. He is similar to Coen Hess at the Cowboys, where he was given time to develop behind Scott and Co and now, from the games I've seen turning into a very good forward. Same with NAS at the Storm.
We need to get off Hosts back here. It's not his fault we lost last week, And remember he's still only 20 years old.
Kerr was told when he signed he needed to develop in the reserves, which he is doing. Sele, Hind and Lawrie are more props than 2nd rowers. Obviously we have Leilua, who needs fitness and is selected each week as one of the 21, Chris Lewis, who needs time to develop and is not ready for 1st grade, McCarthy, who has played a couple of games, did ok, but wouldn't swap him with Host IMO. Then we have the utility backs like Havili and Marketo.
So really, Host maybe down on confidence, but that will return with game time.
The only difference between Host and Hess is coaching. Green knows that Hess is a long minute edge player, so he plays him in that position and gives him a decent amount of time on the field to adapt and show what he can do. Having a decent attacking structure helps.

By comparison, Host gets little game time and is often used in the middle/prop rotation, where his skillet is mismatched.

We saw last year under JD (admittedly in a lower grade) just how good he is. He could be every bit as good as Ben Creagh in his prime, but everything about Mary's coaching is leading him towards not meeting his potential.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The only difference between Host and Hess is coaching. Green knows that Hess is a long minute edge player, so he plays him in that position and gives him a decent amount of time on the field to adapt and show what he can do. Having a decent attacking structure helps.

By comparison, Host gets little game time and is often used in the middle/prop rotation, where his skillet is mismatched.

We saw last year under JD (admittedly in a lower grade) just how good he is. He could be every bit as good as Ben Creagh in his prime, but everything about Mary's coaching is leading him towards not meeting his potential.

This is 100% correct

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I doubt Nona will get a shot unless McCrone gets injured. Even then, Feel will probably get first shot unless injured too.

Interesting scenario really. Let's say IF McCrone or Widdop get injured this week. Who do you play as the half, given Field will probably be unavailable?
Also, what happens if Aitken has another turnstile game, who is the new centre there?

Qdf

Juniors
Simple put four forwards on the bench and give Host/Kerr/Leilua a turn each week. Backs just need to be selected in a position according to form.
Not at this club, we're far to political for that.
This dragons management team have far to many individuals, on aself-interest tangents.

They are all looking after that little "Boys Club" that exists at the club.
I would also like to say we have the "Illawarra side of the board and Stgeorge side in conflict.
This is More than a probability.
I other words the Merger hasn't worked.
Until we extracate these people there will be no change.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Perhaps it's acquiescence is caused by an inability to financially look after a team even at reserve grade level?

This said, the team should be bequeathed a nickname.
Bequeathed indeed. In the old days, the fans decided this.

But I strongly suspect in 2018 the reserve grade team will have the same name as the first grade team.

As with all these things, the finances are a major consideration... as you alluded to.

kit66

Bench
I think Nona's odds are shortening particularly now Field seems injured.

I'd have no problem with Nona getting a run if injuries to Field and either Widdop or McCrone go down. That's why he's there, as back up and he's shown he can be a real game changer. I loved watching him in a few Cutters games last year ( he was in everything in their win yesterday as well ). He can be hit and miss with his short kicking game but he knows when a try's on and how capitalize on that. Good defender too.

monsterkev

Juniors
I respect your opinion Old Timer and your points are valid but part of the issue, I'm convinced, is his form, it's obviously down on last year. A couple of his runs the last two games you could see were a bit......weak ( I don't want to insult the kid and say lazy or uninspiring, we know he tries his best ). The opposition see weakness and they're on it like seagulls on a chip and frankly he deserved to get hammered. He can fix that though and I'm hoping today's the day. Someone said his defence is still strong and it is, just needs to up the work rate. If not........
Well hermidale the guy can't even spell Jacobs name right for a start.

He is barely into his second full season of first grade and already you have monsterkev who imo knows shit all having a whinge.

Forwards develop a bit slower and he has plenty of time but honestly they need better coaching to develop every player at the club.
well coast dragon
I am sorry I spelt his name wrong
The only person having a whinge is you
I'm telling it as it is and most comments posted agree that he has no impact
Host needs to go back to steelers and maybe bulk up a bit and get some confidence and let someone with better form have a go
I did not criticise you or your comment so next time please be a better human being
So comments are better left unsaid

Dragonslayer

First Grade
For those who like statistics and want to know how our "next in line' players are going here are a few stand-outs from last weeks Illawarra V Jets game:

Run Metres: Backs
Dufty - 74m (12 runs)
KFFL - 71m (10 runs)
Milne - 73m (10 runs)
Dodd - 131m (15 runs)
Herbert - 162 (17 runs)

Run Metres: Forwards
Masoe - 34m (3 runs)
Sele - 64m (6 runs)
Leilua - 100m (10 runs)
Lawrie - 140m (17 runs)
Hind - 114m (10 runs)
Kerr - 120m (11 runs)

Tackles:
McCarthy - 47
Havili - 42
Lawrie - 37

Kicks:
Nona - 10 kicks - 322m - 2 long kicks into vacant space
Havili - 2 kicks - 57m - 1 long into vacant space

Herbert looking good in attack but needs to work on his defense (4 missed). Milne looks like he needs to get involved more (only 2 offloads). Dodds stats good also. Mose obviously a long way off being 1st grade, the rest of the forwards looking ok. Young Lawrie stats are nice for a kid still eligible for U20's. Nona's kicking and passing game is good, had 1 try assist, 1 line break assist, 8 support plays and 1 tackle break. Havili also looking strong but needs to run the ball more (only 9 metres) and had a few missed tackles (4).

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Warriors beat Illawarra 21-14 in NSW
Cup with Dodd injured. It sounded like a mistake-a-thon. I do not know why Head does not start with Hind and Kerr.
He uses popgun Marketo. The Illawarra backs are pretty weak especially without Dodd. Herbert seemed to play okay. Where are our at the ground reporters such as Coast and his mates?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Stats for selected players Illawarra V Warriors last Saturday:

Running Metres:
Backs:
Dufty - 55m (9 runs)
KFFL - 95m (14)
Milne - 87m (10)
Herbert - 84m (10)
Forwards:
Marketo - 96m (11)
Havili - 48m (7) --------- played 80 minutes