What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im supporting Steve Smith

TheParraboy

Staff member
I hope im not in the minority here

Ill get behind Bancroft as well

Warner can go off and play t20 leagues where ever he wants to

I don't condone cheating, the penalties have been given. But there is other issues at play.
All these boys will need any support they can get, especially Smith.
Last thing we need now if these boys to break down or something worse

I want Smith and Bancroft to eventually come back into the test side and kill it there, really kill it.

anyone else with me?

The last sentence says it all in the link below

https://www.4bc.com.au/alan-jones-slams-cricket-australias-punishments-as-disgraceful/

The game’s administration has come down on the ball tampering trio like a tonne of bricks, suspending the captain and vice-captain from international and domestic cricket for 12 months and Bancroft for nine months.

Alan, as a Director of the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust, says Cricket Australia’s handling of the situation is a disgrace.

“No one is condoning cheating of any kind. The issue here, as I wrote to James Sutherland yesterday, is that it lacks perspective and a sense of proportion.

“In the last couple of days, I’ve spoken to Steven Smith on several occasions. He’s not in a good space.

“This episode in the dressing room involving a bit of sandpaper, I’m informed lasted less than a couple of minutes.

“I know for a fact that one of the three said ‘well don’t be ridiculous’, or words to that effect.

“But the captain will publicly admit he should have said ‘this is not on’ and he didn’t.

“In a court of law, your past record would count for something, your character references would count for something. None of that counted for anything here, as the butchers of Cricket Australia went after these three young men in order to save their own backsides.

“The pressures of captaining Australia are immense.

“Under the current administration, the board of Cricket Australia, a hopeless manager of high performance, a coach who doesn’t coach… these boys are on their own and they’ve cracked. They’ve done something stupid.”

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
+1 I'd love nothing more than to see Smith and Bancroft back in the test team.

I've said all along Smith deserves credit for being honest about the whole thing. For mine missing the final test and losing captaincy is punishment enough for him.
In the next 5-10 years we're going to need players like Bancroft to step up, hope he makes it back.

stryker

First Grade
Forget Alan's politicking...when it comes to sport he hits the mark nearly every time.
I hope Smith's family and friends get around him in numbers this weekend and into the immediate future as well.

mave

Coach
Bancroft handled himself in the Press Conf very very well.
Didn't burn Smith or Warner, took full responsibility for his actions, seemed contrite while seeming sincere.

Without me harping on it too much, playing State cricket with his mates next season will be the best thing for him.
Let the healing begin.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bancroft handled himself in the Press Conf very very well.
Didn't burn Smith or Warner, took full responsibility for his actions, seemed contrite while seeming sincere.

Without me harping on it too much, playing State cricket with his mates next season will be the best thing for him.
Let the healing begin.

Well said mave,

about to type something similar, you said it better

shiznit

Coach
I’ll tell you guys one thing...

This punishment that CA has handed out has made it very clear to everyone... you don’t cheat or embarrass the baggy green.

It’s bloody harsh... but it sets a very high standard.

Sad for Steve Smith... but at the end of the day he had the ability to do the right thing and stop this before it ever became an issue.

Infact, as captain he had a duty to... such a costly mistake.

It may not be 100% fair but sometimes people end up the martyr...

Just ask Colin Kaepernick.

JJ

Immortal
They lied in the press conference ffs and to the match officials

Suspensions incredibly harsh though

stryker

First Grade
I’ll tell you guys one thing...

This punishment that CA has handed out has made it very clear to everyone... you don’t cheat or embarrass the baggy green.

It’s bloody harsh... but it sets a very high standard.

Sad for Steve Smith... but at the end of the day he had the ability to do the right thing and stop this before it ever became an issue.

Infact, as captain he had a duty to... such a costly mistake.

It may not be 100% fair but sometimes people end up the martyr...

Just ask Colin Kaepernick.
Kaepernick???
Pffff...racist loser.

T-Boon

Coach

Cheating is a big part of cricket culture and has been for years actually probably for ever. This is way less of a big deal than for example Tom Brady's deflategate and most other things the Patriots have done. Total over reaction.

T-Boon

Coach
They lied in the press conference ffs and to the match officials

Suspensions incredibly harsh though

Haha. Even that, "told a lie".....oh my god.
I for one can say I have never told a lie in my life. Ever.

Eelectrica

Referee
Just seen Bancrofts press conference. Wow, one sorry bloke. He knows he messed up badly. Best of luck to him.

I'd hope he is able to play county cricket in the coming months, I think he needs it.
Wouldn't mind if CA saw their way clear to allow him to play the start of the shield season as well.