What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Super Rugby's structure change on the NRL

Which team would you like to see gone?

• Western Force

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • ACT Brumbies

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Melbourne Rebels

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
For afl the value was in the ninth game ie more content.

NRL benefits both from more content and new markets/time zones.

I still can't figure out how it couldn't pay for itself? When fox spat the dummy that was the time to offer an olive branch via a ninth game exclusive to them on a Sunday night. Keep all of nines offer and get the fox deal up with the ninth game and more content on the Sunday. Sigh.

Yep.
Not believing it pays for itself is typical Rugby League talking itself down attitude.
Fans are as bad as admin. How many times you heard so-called fans say Rugby League should stick to its little east coast state of origin box and not bother with expansion or internationals. Just leave it to the bigger sports... (meanwhile the f**king Netball can put a team in Perth and Wellington)

Billythekid

First Grade
Yeah I don't buy the bullshit that a 9th game wouldn't cover the cost of the expansion teams. I'm sure it would and even if it didn't it would come close to and any money we spend propping them up would be well worth the extra exposure and opening up a major new market.

We keep hearing that the clubs need to be sustainable but what are the NRL doing to achieve this? They've made it clear they don't give a f**k about crowds and if anything actively hinder them. How much money do clubs lose when say roosters v Souths only pulls 11K because of poor scheduling and lack of promotion? How much do the clubs lose because of the enormous toll that SOO has on the comp each season?

Further once the next TV deal kicks off and the club grant significantly surpasses the salary cap is there really any concern for any of the clubs? If any club can't keep its head above water with that grant they have no place in the NRL (and I'm confident that won't apply to any current clubs).

The argument that we can't expand because we don't want clubs going belly up may have made a little sense back when gallop was in charge and the TV deal was pitiful. Come next year though that argument goes out the window.

I don't think any of us are saying 2 new teams should come in tomorrow or even next year. I think we all agree that the target should be around 2020-2021 with those teams named well in advance and adequate preparations put in place to make them successful.

There is no reason that shouldn't be possible.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yep.
Not believing it pays for itself is typical Rugby League talking itself down attitude.
Fans are as bad as admin. How many times you heard so-called fans say Rugby League should stick to its little east coast state of origin box and not bother with expansion or internationals. Just leave it to the bigger sports... (meanwhile the f**king Netball can put a team in Perth and Wellington)
Don't get me wrong - I would love a Perth team (the idea of another Brisbane team is as stupid as it gets though - not saying you think it's a good idea, but far too many do).

But the idea of just doing it for the sake of doing it just shows that everyone here is a blue sky operator. When the league is running at a loss and the next TV rights deal is going to be less - it's not the right time.

As for your netball example, let's see if they're running a profitable league in 3 years time..

Billythekid

First Grade
Don't get me wrong - I would love a Perth team (the idea of another Brisbane team is as stupid as it gets though - not saying you think it's a good idea, but far too many do).

But the idea of just doing it for the sake of doing it just shows that everyone here is a blue sky operator. When the league is running at a loss and the next TV rights deal is going to be less - it's not the right time.

As for your netball example, let's see if they're running a profitable league in 3 years time..

The next TV deal won't be less despite some earlier posturing to the contrary. It won't be a big jump like the last one, it might be about the same but I don't see it going backwards.

One year of losses doesn't mean we will still be losing money in 3-4 years time. NRL revenue has increased dramatically in recent times and with the new massive TV deal kicking in next year there is no reason to think we won't be making good money from next year (or even this year). It was only the year before last that the NRL posted a good profit.

I also disagree with the notion that expanding will actually impact the profitability of the NRL. We will gain value in our TV deal and the increased exposure in Perth should help increase sponsorship deals.

I'm just sick of reading the same shit I've been seeing for 10-15 years. It seems that no matter how much the NRL grows in terms of revenue we just keep getting the same bullshit excuses about not being able to afford expansion.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm just sick of reading the same shit I've been seeing for 10-15 years. It seems that no matter how much the NRL grows in terms of revenue we just keep getting the same bullshit excuses about not being able to afford expansion.

It's tail chasing. We can't expand until every team is good. But there's always gonna be someone at the back of the pack. So we keep chasing and waiting...

Hint: The dog never catches its tail (and if it does it's not a good outcome)

siv

First Grade
NRL should buy out the Rebels and Force

Western Pirate Force
Port Adelaide Rooster Rebels

T to the T

Juniors
Yep.

This. Heck a 9th game will make the sport more sustainable with more content, and if Brisbane 2 is admitted as well as Perth, we are mopping up the anti-Bronco crowd in Brisbane and having a game in Suncorp every week, and not giving AFL and the rugger buggers a free ride up there.

If the Western Reds and SEQ Crushers weren't cut as a result of the SL War, they'd both be in the top half of the League financially.

Greenberg is such a snowflake cuck cowling to the clubs. Expand you f**king cretin

adamkungl

Immortal
This. Heck a 9th game will make the sport more sustainable with more content, and if Brisbane 2 is admitted as well as Perth, we are mopping up the anti-Bronco crowd in Brisbane and having a game in Suncorp every week, and not giving AFL and the rugger buggers a free ride up there.

If the Western Reds and SEQ Crushers weren't cut as a result of the SL War, they'd both be in the top half of the League financially.

Greenberg is such a snowflake cuck cowling to the clubs. Expand you f**king cretin

I also don't buy that every club is anti-expansion. Some of the particularly loud ones are (No no no no no...).
They absolutely want it all for themselves, but I'm sure there are some that are smart enough to see that the pie will get bigger with smart expansion, thus getting them more money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's just reflective of the lack of self belief in the game. Afl expanded and said we want an extra $57mill for the ninth game please tv went ok.

NRL pussy foots around, claims not enough money, has no faith its product can generate the money, has no plans in place even if there was the money, puts up the same excuses for over 5 years with no real effort to address those perceived barriers.

Such is rugby league here and overseas sadly.

siv

First Grade
Wonder if the TV contract is written in such a way that the NRL gets no extra cash for a preaseson cup, midweek cup, rep games or a 9th weekend match

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they are spending money in png and PI's so you'd hope that investment is seeing some growth?

Touch is doing alright as well.

Social media is up

Junior and men's contact numbers seemingly not so great. We are in last year of a tv deal that bumped the nrl's revenue up significantly. Good job the commission and CEO are not employed based on kpi outcomes of the strategic plan!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder if the TV contract is written in such a way that the NRL gets no extra cash for a preaseson cup, midweek cup, rep games or a 9th weekend match

Smith at nine announcement

In terms of expanding the competition beyond 16 teams after the current rights deal expires at the end of 2017, Smith said talks were still ongoing.

"This deal assumes 16 teams. There have been discussions about whether we introduce a 17th team and there is scope to do that in this contract," he said.

"This deal is about a 16 team competition, but there have been conversations and we have built flexibility in."

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-fans-the-winners-in-new-television-deal/tabid/10874/newsid/88798/default.aspx

Having 17 teams makes no sense. If the nrl has the money and is serious about its $100mill digital investment being a platform for future direct fee base game streaming it could use a ninth game to test this. But it would require some vision and strategy so don't hold your breath!

Jetka100

Juniors
17 teams makes sense as a stepping stone to an 18 team comp in 2023. Allow a 17th team to be admitted under the 2018 TV deal towards the end and introduce the 18 team under the next TV deal and a 9th match. This allows the 17th team to get established and a couple more years for the 18th. If I was running it, I would bring on Perth in 2021 and start TV negotiations on the basis of an 18 team comp in 2023.

Billythekid

First Grade
Only expansion in progress at the moment is womens RL

We're moving in the right direction but it still doesn't feel like we're close to having a proper national competition. Hopefully after the success of the AFLW we're seriously looking into this. We already have the jillaroos and SOO for the women so potentially we can give them even more exposure than the AFL did.

As with any sort of RL expansion I'll believe it when I see it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We're moving in the right direction but it still doesn't feel like we're close to having a proper national competition. Hopefully after the success of the AFLW we're seriously looking into this. We already have the jillaroos and SOO for the women so potentially we can give them even more exposure than the AFL did.

As with any sort of RL expansion I'll believe it when I see it.

You don't have to look any further than this for a direct comparison between the two sporting codes. Afl launched a national comp to massive fanfare,have got major kudos for it, dragged in some pretty impressive crowds and coverage, have opened up all sorts of new sponsors and promotions, all on the back of a pretty avg set up that doesn't have much rigour to it,

NRL launched a nsw and qland comp to barely a ripple of recognition. With our women's origin and international opportunities we should be on the front foot but have once again been very much placed into second fiddle,

PaulyTom

Juniors
I'm happy with a 16 team comp , 8 game final series.

I truly believe AFL and Super Rugby have inferior competitions when it comes to competitiveness between teams. Quality is important and watching 60 point floggings week in week out for any fan is unpleasant .

Pedge1971

First Grade
Jones comes across as the abnoxious twat that he is. He makes some points but it is the way he does it that grates me.

t-ba

Post Whore
Shit, the Saffers agree to it. Did not see that happening.

Quick read seems to indicate that the Force are actually producing talent. LoL if the axe swings for them. Hilariously short sighted and the kind of shit I'd expect from our mob.

It's a real shame our mob is in charge, because we could just steal a bunch of their human infrastructure out west if the management had any brains.