What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Important Representative stepping stones.

Lantana

Juniors
Regarding the current issues surrounding the length of the current NRL and ESL seasons, and reading the 'When should the Euro Cup be played?' post. I thought I might put up a post for you all to consider. This is bound to upset a few people as it is messing with State of Origin a bit but I would be prepared to take a gamble due to it's absolute stength in the market place.
Would it be feasible to shorten both the NRL and ESL seasons to around
17 rounds (pool format) plus Finals is 20 rounds, this would run from March to September.
At the end of the competition 40 NSW and 40 QLD based players are selected for the upcoming representative season.
Each State conduct's a City V Country trial to finalise their State teams. We then have State of Origin over 3 consecutive weekends in September - right in the face of the AFL finals.
At the end of the SOO series a Kangaroos Squad is picked for the Tri Nations plus an annual touring team France/Pacific Islands/PNG etc.
The NRL players not represented in these squads are conducting extensive promotional work/clinics throughout regional Australia and targeted growth areas. This would assist in laying the platform for fostering interest in new areas aswell as reigniting interest in areas left alone (Perth Adelaide.)
Unfortunately we can't just say, "We have to have the Reds and Rams back". There needs to be a process.
I know it will never be perfect but the major issiues I see the above planning rectifying are;

* To many games - domestically
* Segregated exposure to representative fixtures.
* True representative trial matches
* Extended Annual Representative season.
* Opportunity for developing nations to experience top level matches

Problems that may arise from this suggestion are;

* Club revenue - 5 less home games may put the squeeze on some clubs?
Maybe - I am not Nostridamus. All I know is supply = demand.
The Waratahs play 5 games at home and pull 175K+ fans to games.
The Roosters play 12 games at home and pull 190K fans to games.
If I knew I only had half the opportunities to see my team then I would definately go to them all. Not half as lot of people seem to do.
This would also lead to alot more season ticket holders due to more cost effective packages.
Basically would/could the Roosters average attendance double if their season was half as long.
The NFL is another example. I understand the massive difference in populations but because of the crowds why don't they lengthen the season? Another 2 homes games as 65K people all paying $40 each wouldn't hurt the private owner? $5.2 million in gate takings alone?

* State of Origin - I don't really like the idea of moving it either but the issue with it at the moment is, it weighs heavily on the players during the season (Brisbane - No other team had 11 reps from one club ), It disrupts the season when allocated whole weekends, injuries during these games disrupt a clubs season, Do you think the Roosters are happy about their potential match winning $300K centre Justin Hodges' season was over due the State of Origin. Yes I know it's football, injuries happen.
If played after the season it allows the spot light to be soley on it, following up from the peak of the NRL Grand Final a month earlier the State Of Origin would absolutely murder the AFL during September.
Case in Point - September 27 2005 - AFL Grand Final Swans V Brisbane MCG - against NSW V QLD Game 3 decider Telstra Stadium . (mmmm TV ratings? - Good luck AFL)
I know this is post has some holes in it, however currently the game has a few little bumps (I mean little) these ideas are just heresay but ones I feel may appease a few of those little bumps.
By seperating the rep season and running it at the end of the NRL season we give the ENTIRE rep season it's own life line, we don't hide it inside the domestic season. This will enable the ARL to leverage business opportunities off it's most elite brand, the State of Origin and the Kangaroos. (The Kangaroos need to be percieved in the same light as the Wallabies)
Bottom line with that is it allows for growth across both seasons without to much problems. Who knows, in a a decades time we may have a three or four team State of Origin. Could that be run in the current climate?