In an 18 team comp...

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by Perth Red, Nov 11, 2011.

1. siv

siv Juniors

Not rocket science

Melbourne U18 and U16 teams are no longer

But in their place are VRL teams playing in Queenslands U20 U18 and U16 comps

2. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

There is no reason Melbourne couldnt field a sg and hm Victorian junior teams other than the bloodymindedness of the nswrl. Logistics meant it was impossible to have their juniors based in Melbourne playing in qland and as the storm wanted a reserve grade link up with a region devoid of nrl clubs, the junior system in Melbourne got screwed. The nrl should have stepped in told nswrl to sht the fck up and made storm continue to run junior eilite teams out of Melbourne.

3. johnny plath

johnny plath Juniors

But wait, aren't you saying that there is no development happening in Melbourne??? But here are two junior rep teams in the VRL u18s and u20s playing in QLD state league comps?? all of the players in these teams will be from Melbourne, living in Melbourne as opposed to Storm U20s who are a grab of players from all over QLD and NSW. Isn't that a development pathway??? I might add that these teams are making a decent fist of the comp as well, both sitting mid table which seems a fair effort to me. Last season their u18s played in the Mal Meninga semis where they were beaten by the eventual champions. Also from what I saw on the GIO Schoolboys cup comp televised last year they had a strong RL school team (forget the name of them) which did pretty well as well. Who is developing these teams if the Storm aren't involved??? If its VRL well done, if its them and Storm in partnership well done again.

4. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

My understanding is that there are very few Melbourne players in these qland junior teams, 3 or4 at most.

It's a real shame as Victoria was starting to dominate the affiliated state championships at under18 showing it was improving their talent pool.

5. johnny plath

johnny plath Juniors

This is my point I'm trying to express but obviously not very well. The sunny coast falcons have a sprinkle of storm players in there u20s and zero in u18s. However in the same competitions the victoria rugby league have teams. .all melbourne players. I guess they call them vrl so there is a distinction from the storm. Point is victorian developed junior's. ..not necessarily storm contracted. ...are playing and doing well in elite level rep competitions. The elite rl school in Melbourne also does well in the gio schoolboys comp. Players are being developed in Melbourne and NOT playing for the storm or sunny coast falcons. I don't know why this is hard to grasp.

6. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Apologies, didn't realise vrl were fielding their own teams in qland.

7. johnny plath

johnny plath Juniors

No worries