What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In an 18 team comp...

RHCP

Bench
Alienating some of Rugby Leagues biggest fanbases so we can add some dots to the map? Poor idea. I know I can't speak for them but I doubt either set of fans would even contemplate the concept. Weakening one of our heartlands so we can have a warm fuzzy feeling about how national our comp is isn't worth it.

docbrown

Coach
Next 2 expansion phases to 20 teams - Perth, Central Coast, SEQLD & Wellington.

As current:
Keep Friday Night Double Headers on F2A
Saturday Triple Headers on Subscription (but change to 4:35pm, 6:25pm & 8:05pm)
Sunday Afternoon Double Header on F2A
Monday Night on Subscription

with Friday & Sunday F2A targeting QLD & Sydney with at least 1 team from each featured.

Games 9 & 10 would float betwen:
Friday 7:30pm NZ Home Game on Subscription at 5:30pm EST (rare but after Super 15 ends)
Saturday 3:00pm EST on Subscription (also rare event)
Saturday 8:05pm EST viewers choice game on subscription (most weeks)
Sunday 12:00pm EST NZ Home Game on Subscription (most weeks)
Sunday 6:30pm/7:00pm/7:30pm Night Game - Subscription or F2A depending on game (to begin with only when Monday is public holiday or school holidays)
Monday 3:30pm - when public holidays - on F2A
Thursday 7:30pm - when public holidays - on F2A

Von

Juniors

As current:

with Friday & Sunday F2A targeting QLD & Sydney with at least 1 team from each featured.

Friday 7:30pm NZ Home Game on Subscription at 5:30pm EST (rare but after Super 15 ends)
Sunday 6:30pm/7:00pm/7:30pm Night Game - Subscription or F2A depending on game (to begin with only when Monday is public holiday or school holidays)

Agree with all that docbrown.

Let's bring back public holiday Monday arvo games, for Queens Birthday in June and Easter Monday.

Also, a FTA Sunday night game (perhaps just occasionally, if not every week) would be a ratings bonanza....as long as stupid 60 Minutes doesn't stand in the way.

no name

Coach
Agree with all that docbrown.

Let's bring back public holiday Monday arvo games, for Queens Birthday in June and Easter Monday.

Also, a FTA Sunday night game (perhaps just occasionally, if not every week) would be a ratings bonanza....as long as stupid 60 Minutes doesn't stand in the way.

Hopefully by then the dark days of Ch 9 will be a distant memory.

rednblack

Juniors
Hopefully by then the dark days of Ch 9 will be a distant memory.

I suspect seven would also be fairly reluctant to give up on their Sunday Night current affairs program. They've invested a bit into it now, and it's paying off for them in ratings. I can't see them dropping it. Ten might go for a sunday evening fixture, but I can't see either of the others jumping at the chance.

Valheru

Coach
I suspect seven would also be fairly reluctant to give up on their Sunday Night current affairs program. They've invested a bit into it now, and it's paying off for them in ratings. I can't see them dropping it. Ten might go for a sunday evening fixture, but I can't see either of the others jumping at the chance.

TBH I don’t think any of the FTA networks would want Sunday night football (at least, not as a regular fixture). We all know it is the highest rating timeslot so they don’t need sport there. Additionally, a good chunk of audiences on a Fri/Sat night are watching TV purely for sports whilst the Sunday night audience is much more diverse.

I still maintain that the best formula for any Sunday night football is as a Perth home game (4PM live into Perth and live elsewhere via fox).

Assuming each team will play 12 home games, I would make Perth play 8 in that slot and give them a chance to make it their own. The Warriors have expressed a desire to play Sunday games so I would give them at least 6 in the 2PM (midday here) slot. That means that you have 14 of the 26 rounds catered for as far as the extra slot is concerned.

Next year there are 9 rounds affected by byes, assuming the same will happen when expansion occurs that is 9 rounds where the extra slot is not needed so that takes the total to 23 rounds catered for. That leaves the opportunity for 2 “blockbuster” Sunday night games per year. Round 26 is a special case due to no Monday night football so possibly a day game on Saturday in NZ (5:30 local) would be the best fit there.

docbrown

Coach
Look no free to air network is going to pick up a full season of Sunday night games any time soon. But once or twice a year you'd get away with it on free to air, especially if it covers 2 of the 3 big metros and around holidays. A Storm game, Broncos game and obviously one of the big 5 sydney teams, preferably games that focus on a rivalry or can be shaped into a big rivalry.

Really the teams would need to help drive it. It's one of those things that if/when it becomes successful, other teams would get jealous about why they didn't think of it.

Other games on Sunday nights would be for subscription TV and again when there's a holiday period.

POPEYE

Coach
Once upon a time a man could finish a week's work and after paying the bills look forward to his team playing another within a short train trip.

He could brag about his mob beating the other mob and his neighbourhood was a better place to live . . . this time.

That's way back when Balmain played Norths and Parramatta played Manly. Tigers, Bears, Eels and Eagles were just quick reference nick names.

Nowdays, anyone who thinks the Eels are only for people in Parramatta are kidding themselves. It's all about liking colours, jerseys and players.

We all know the Storm is as much about Melbourne as it is about another Qld team relocated in Victoria. No-one really gives a shit about where the clubhouse is.

If the Reds offer the new generation of footy followers heroes to worship, great coaches to coach them and a pretty flag to wave who cares where the clubhouse is.

If the Reds do become a place where greatness is achieved as it is/was with the Broncos, Storm, Raiders, Warriors, etc it will be at the expense of another underachieving club.

So, we're not talking about what comes around goes around anymore in a little Sydney local comp.

It's all about keeping a brand name up in lights. Any club who thinks it has a right to special treatment because of locality is a loser

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Eels and Panthers have to merge but the Bulldogs don't?

How is that fair. Also, Cronulla and Roosters are just going to disappear?

betcats

Referee
I cant help but imagine all of popeyes post being read to me by that creepy f**king bloke from the lovesong dedication radio show.

firechild

First Grade
You need a new avatar Popeye, might I suggest this:

grandpa-simpson-picture.jpg

Hutty1986

Immortal
Once upon a time a man could finish a week's work and after paying the bills look forward to his team playing another within a short train trip.

He could brag about his mob beating the other mob and his neighbourhood was a better place to live . . . this time.

That's way back when Balmain played Norths and Parramatta played Manly. Tigers, Bears, Eels and Eagles were just quick reference nick names.

Nowdays, anyone who thinks the Eels are only for people in Parramatta are kidding themselves. It's all about liking colours, jerseys and players.

We all know the Storm is as much about Melbourne as it is about another Qld team relocated in Victoria. No-one really gives a shit about where the clubhouse is.

If the Reds offer the new generation of footy followers heroes to worship, great coaches to coach them and a pretty flag to wave who cares where the clubhouse is.

If the Reds do become a place where greatness is achieved as it is/was with the Broncos, Storm, Raiders, Warriors, etc it will be at the expense of another underachieving club.

So, we're not talking about what comes around goes around anymore in a little Sydney local comp.

It's all about keeping a brand name up in lights. Any club who thinks it has a right to special treatment because of locality is a loser

You need to be taken out to the back paddock and shot Pops. You are deadset gone-skis

betcats

Referee
If the Bulldogs merge with another team I will be the first to take up membership.

But look at your team, it has no soul, no identity beyond cheating rapists. You not the family club anymore or bred not bought. Your a club that will buy itself a new team every season because you missed the 8 last time. Merging would be no problem for your club.

Quidgybo

Bench
I think we need to seriously consider the possibility that the comp won't expand beyond 18 teams for many many years. We all know that News (our major media buyer) really wanted a 12 team comp and that they compromised on 14 to end the war. Yes, the networks want more games involving Queensland teams and content to attract better ratings in the New Zealand and Perth markets. But that doesn't mean they want an ever larger comp and the flab that brings. Quantity does not necessarily equal quality.

We already have a minority calling for no expansion beyond 16 and that view is sure to grow considerably once we're at 18. Our own CEO has stated that as a comp we should be aspiring to the NFL model but, with a population base under 30 million, every additional mouth to feed is taking us in the wrong direction for achieving anything like that. Given that, I just can't see a 20 team comp being on the agenda any time soon (ie. within 20 years). I think it's much more likely we'll reach the other markets you name in the meantime through a redistribution of existing licenses.

Another way to think about it is that once we expand to 18 teams we'll need a number of years to absorb the impact of a two team expansion and then more years on top of that if we're to prepare properly for a further two team expansion. But we probably can't wait that long to get into these other markets which means we'd need to go through some sort of re-allocation of existing licenses anyway. And if we've already managed to satisfy our need to get into these markets before expanding further, what's the point in rushing to 20 teams?

As current:

As we've discussed on many occasions the push to introduce fixed scheduling is a huge factor in how we allocate matches. If we want to have Friday night and Sunday afternoon doubleheaders as our showpiece free to air matches then we need to ensure there is a choice of matches allocated to each slot so that we're not left showing turkeys simply because the schedule was fixed nine months earlier. The second consideration is that with the drive for improved free to air coverage in Melbourne and Perth, the networks are going to want to show games into those markets involving the home team to help prop up the ratings. Given these two factors I'm led to the conclusion we need to schedule three matches in each of these two slots. This would leave us with...

FRIDAY 7.15pm (local) - 3 Games
  • 1 NSW derby
  • 1 game involving a Queensland team (inc. half of Qld derbys)
  • 1 game involving WA (18 out of 26 weeks - half of Reds home games and all Reds away games)

SATURDAY 7.15pm and 5.15pm/9.15pm (EST) - 2 Games
  • 1 game involving a NSW team
  • 1 game involving a Queensland team

SUNDAY 2.15pm (EST) - 3 Games
  • 1 NSW derby
  • 1 game involving a Queensland team (inc. half of Qld derbys)
  • 1 game involving Storm (18 out of 26 weeks - 10 Storm home games and 8 away games)

MONDAY 7.15pm (EST), 6.15pm (WST for Reds), 8.15pm (NZT for Warriors) - 1 Game
  • 1 home game per team (18 game package for season)

Given what I've outlined above, when there is an extra timeslot for a public holiday or other special occasion, the extra game would come out of the Friday night allocation.

Leigh

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
ah..... :sarcasm:
are you serious ?

you question the intelligence of someone , then actually ask this ? LOL ...:lol:

when the Reds are playing away we go back to exactly what we have right now you dribbling gimp .... :lol:

the new time slots only apply when Perth are at home
I mean .... Really :lol:

what a moron :lol:

You do realise that TV stations like having the footy on the same time each week because of programming?

Therefore, who is up for a 9.30pm kickoff at home?