What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent Suspensions

Trent91

Juniors
Hi everyone

I am looking at writing an article on the NRL judiciary and its inconsistencies, just wondering what are some of the more recent cases where the judiciary has been perhaps overly harsh or lenient in certain instances.

Cheers.

mozza91

Coach
This may sound like sour grapes but whatever.
The Knights seem to get treated harshly by the judiciary particularly over the last 5 years or so. Jeremy Smith getting six weeks for barely touching a guy with his forearm was close to the most ridiculous suspension I've seen.

Trent91

Juniors
The worst bit was when they suspended that guy from my team and not that other guy from that other team.

Yes I am worried that that would be the tenor of the responses, but I'm sure there are some good ones, main one I can think of are the Ennis and Wighton shoulder charge cases from last season.

soc123_au

Staff member
Lewis being the sacrificial lamb for Hayne a few years ago was pretty bad.

hunters

Juniors
How about George Burgess copping two weeks (i think) for throwing an empty water bottle at no one?

POPEYE

Coach
In your article you could try associating suspensions with agendas of either personal or 'good for the game', of course you'd have to establish yourself squeakily clean non-biased beforehand . . . good luck with that

Vic Mackey

Referee
This may sound like sour grapes but whatever.
The Knights seem to get treated harshly by the judiciary particularly over the last 5 years or so. Jeremy Smith getting six weeks for barely touching a guy with his forearm was close to the most ridiculous suspension I've seen.

I see your jermey smith and raise you Tim Simonas 3 weeks for the biggest non event crusher tackle that shouldn't have even been a penalty. At least smith would have had loading on his (in assuming).

The touching ref one is generally the worst though.

Valheru

Coach
How about George Burgess copping two weeks (i think) for throwing an empty water bottle at no one?

Should have got more to be honest.

We can't have players throwing stuff from the bench at players on the field regardless of whether it is an empty water bottle or a brick and regardless of whether it hits or not.

A fan would be banned for life.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ref touching penalties have been a disaster. A crack down on a non-existent issue.

Also take a look at high tackles - there are something like 18 different gradings for high tackles. Impossible to get a consistent answer even with the best intentions.

Tiger5150

Bench
Where is this "article" going to be published? THe purpose of the "article"?

I would worry about the integrity of any article that has used an internet forum as research. Surely as you were inspired to write this article on suspension inconsistencies you must have had your own in mind? You are asking this forum to do your research for you? Get out and research it yourself. If inconsistent suspensions was atopic worthy of your research and article, surely you wouldnt have to ask this forum to do it for you?

Having said that Simona getting 3 weeks for a nothing crusher was a farce.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its been bad for years the NRL seems to focus so much on certain penalties yet forget about other incidents. The year they brought in the shoulder charge rule, even if some were accidental they still suspended them, yet the following year they would get off scott fee cause they would be focusing so much on ref touching.

mxlegend99

Referee
The ref touching suspensions are beyond ridiculous.

David Klemmer is charged. Fights it and beats it despite clearly making contact. Guys like Thurston and Smith do it all the time and are never even charged.

Then you have guys like Mckendry, Foran etc. Who cop a suspension for the same thing other players either receive no charge for or get off.

Shoulder charge penalties and suspensions have been wildly inconsistent as they cant decide exactly what a shoulder charge is.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Lopini Paea copped 9 weeks for a first offence for a lifting tackle back in the mid 2000's when every other man and his dog was copping a week. The Tim Simona 3 weeks last season was ludicrous as well. It was one of those where you had to look at the replay two or three times to check it was a penalty, let alone a suspension.