What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

India in 2018 ENWC

langpark

First Grade
Legitimacy of the game in their country, reward for players who have developed in their competition, positive media, organisational experience, fun etc etc

Why do any countries play test matches or in world cups?
Sorry, rhetorical question. I should have re-worded it to: do the benefits justify the expense? If a country like Ukraine, with a solid domestic scene, but no Aussies, wants to play, then they are looking at a huge bill to go out and field a side. Airfares, accommodation etc. I'm talking close to $100k. No minnow nation has that kind of money, and if they do, it would be stupid to blow it all on this event, you'll never get even close to a return on it.

As for 'media coverage', honestly, people that are saying that are kidding themselves. The RLWC doesn't get coverage in these countries let alone ENWC!

yakstorm

First Grade
I think it's not fair to say that nations competing in the ENWC will get zero media coverage back home, especially considering most come from countries where they have, local, regional and national coverage.

Just like I can find out that members from my local area are off to the 'World Trampoline Championships' in Bulgaria this November (real story), I doubt that these nations couldn't generate multiple similar stories, if not something better, especially in those who have less sporting success.

Anyway as a benefit for Hungary who are competing in it, they actually have members of the sports ministry who are set to fly out to witness the team take part and evaluate recognition of the code in the country (and respective funding), so you'd say for them, this tournament is a major deal.

Last edited:

Coparugby

Juniors
Anyway as a benefit for Hungary who are competing in it, they actually have members of the sports ministry who are set to fly out to witness the team take part and evaluate recognition of the code in the country.
Nice

How do I join that public service?

yakstorm

First Grade
Just because this thread has become the ENWC thread, some of the rules that the participants have been told they need to adhere to, in order to take part in the tournament include:

- Squads must have a minimum of 8 local players.

- Match Day teams have a point cap of 100 points. Professional players are worth 25 points, Domestic players are worth -5. With scaling in between.

- Squads will be limited to either 20 or 22 players.

Whilst not perfect at least every team will have a third to 40% domestic players in their squad.

Some nations like Hungary are targeting 10 domestic players.

Coparugby

Juniors
I really hope they get some crowds even if they are small. I’d hate to see it end up like the AFL World Cup they play in Victoria every now and then.

I hope it gets some media coverage and at the very least live streaming of games to at least the quality of a good Bar TV Sports rugby league stream with commentary.

Pommy

Coach
I really hope they get some crowds even if they are small. I’d hate to see it end up like the AFL World Cup they play in Victoria every now and then.

I hope it gets some media coverage and at the very least live streaming of games to at least the quality of a good Bar TV Sports rugby league stream with commentary.

I can’t imagije the crowds will be that great. Seen plenty of crap crowds for their national cricket side which doesn’t give us much hope for Hungary vs Norway or whatever.

Coparugby

Juniors
I can’t imagije the crowds will be that great. Seen plenty of crap crowds for their national cricket side which doesn’t give us much hope for Hungary vs Norway or whatever.
500 in a boutique stand would be great.

When Serbia toured a while back they were able to tap into the Serbian community of Sydney and get quite a few people to their games.

langpark

First Grade
500 in a boutique stand would be great.

When Serbia toured a while back they were able to tap into the Serbian community of Sydney and get quite a few people to their games.
It all depends on who's playing. Greece vs Malta got about 4000 a few years ago at Marconi stadium.

Serbia vs Philippines last year apparently had about 2000.

But on the other end of the spectrum, there will be some small ones, for example if Thailand were to play Nuie, or something like that.

Pommy

Coach
Ignore my previous on attendances for some reason I had it in my head this was being played in India.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I can't see the point of playing this in Sydney, so far away and so expensive.....

Knowing that most of these nations have tight budgets you could probably organise two tournaments: one in Europe, one in Asia, and possibly play the winners off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep makes no sense playing it in Sydney unless you expect most of the players to come from the NSWRL. But that's international Rl for you!

As for crowds, lol its in Sydney!

latingringo101

Juniors
The original tournament was supposed to be with the 2017 RLWC, hence why Sydney was chosen.

As mentioned earlier, domestic players from each team will be selected and I'm sure the tournament will be a great success, Western Sydney has big expat populations from around the world and I'm sure they will turn out in force for their retrospective nations

paulmac

Juniors
Just because this thread has become the ENWC thread, some of the rules that the participants have been told they need to adhere to, in order to take part in the tournament include:

- Squads must have a minimum of 8 local players.

- Match Day teams have a point cap of 100 points. Professional players are worth 25 points, Domestic players are worth -5. With scaling in between.

- Squads will be limited to either 20 or 22 players.

Whilst not perfect at least every team will have a third to 40% domestic players in their squad.

Some nations like Hungary are targeting 10 domestic players.
I’m actually really beginning to get excited by this.I was skeptical thinking it would just be a bunch of heritage players running around but those quotas are great.