What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

India in South Africa (Six x ODI and Three x t20) February 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
SA won the 4th match in D/L

I watched SA bat a bit and they canned the Indian spinners finally. AB will be better for the hit out next game, SA middle order destroyed them

Also ( doesn’t just happen in the bbl) Chanal sp? spinner took a wicket off a no ball, it was checked so free hit. The free hit was a no ball as well but not called or checked !!! They really need to address this

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Wow - that is pretty soft by India. India were 1/178 after 31 overs - they get only 111 runs off the next 19 overs. All batsmen to bat then went at under a run a ball after Kohli 75(83) and Dhawan 109 (105) built a great platform to launch from.

Rahane 8(13)
Iyer 18(21)
Dhoni 42*(43)
Pandya 9(13)
Kumar 5(7)

What was Dhoni doing? Smelling the flowers?

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
India should have got a few more no question

But considering how this series has panned out they probably thought get to 300 or thereabouts and we got them...again. If not for D/L does India defend this total? We wont really know.
SA in a lot of ways were forced to play a t20 style game, which they wouldn't have had too, had they had to face overs and 290 to run down. Mindset would be different

TheParraboy

Staff member
India won the 5th odi after being sent in to bat

D/L couldn’t save SA this time

After being 1/153 in the 26th over. India ended up on 7/274. Not one player managed a run a ball (other than opener Dharwan who was out in the 8th over)

SA all out 201 in the 43rd over.

TheParraboy

Staff member
India destroyed SA in the 6th ODI

Set 205 to win, India got them in under 33 overs

Kholi 139no 96 balls , he is the best in ODI and t20 bar none and probably top 3 in test cricket. I think we or India are witnessing one of the greats of all time

ANTiLAG

First Grade
India destroyed SA in the 6th ODI

Set 205 to win, India got them in under 33 overs

Kholi 139no 96 balls , he is the best in ODI and t20 bar none and probably top 3 in test cricket. I think we or India are witnessing one of the greats of all time

I still prefer ABDV in ODI for his SR but I acknowledge that they are doing different roles. I agree that Kohli is special, and this series he has put a gap between himself and Amla and the rest of the current top order chasers.

In t20 I am far from convinced that Kohli is the best batsman. He is getting faster, but he still starts slow. ABDV and Warner (yes Warner) would be my picks for an IPL team ahead of him. It isn't uncommon to see Kohli labour to 70 odd - make a dash for a hundred, and RCB lose. I don't think he makes best use of the powerplay overs, and I don't think he starts his inings fast enough which becomes an issue for his teamwhen he gets out for a middling score, say 20 to 60.

Warner on the other hand, makes good use of the powerplay and even after the powerplay is just nurdling the ball around with these effortless almost lazy 6's most overs off spinners, whether they bowl short or full, he "baseballs" straightish to short balls or drives through to leg side dropkicks if fuller pitched. He won't be in top gear, but easily typically striking at 150+ min when set. And Warner's team are far more reliant on him, whereas RCB have had Gayle, ABDV, Rahul and Watson to in their top order. Warner had the inconsistent Dharwan and Henriques with some odd games from KW.

I know he's been out of form this summer, but unlike JJ, I rate Warner as a bat. He is better than many fans think imo. It may be in the Wt20 when Aussies get to see first hand how dominant Warner can be in t20. He is just a run machine in the IPL. Leggies and carrom balls and all that regardless. As is Kohli to be fair, but Warner doesn't let the chasing RRR get excessive and looks to post a 200 score almost every time he bats. I was not surprised at all when he lead the SRH to the IPL title in 2016 after being written off by the bookies. In fact -I said that the bookies were wrong from the outset.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Kohli and AB are probably the second and third best ODI bats ever.

Kohli definitely #2 behind Viv who was Bradman like when you compare him to his peers

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not 100% convinced about de villiers being number 3 or even a top 10 tbh. A lot of his big and quick scores have been against the likes of the west indies. Never seen him score anything decent in a final or a big game. Richards, Kohli, Ponting, Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Sangakara, just off the top of my head would be ahead of him.

Kohli is fantastic, needs a World Cup win to be truly great and has the toys to do it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not 100% convinced about de villiers being number 3 or even a top 10 tbh. A lot of his big and quick scores have been against the likes of the west indies. Never seen him score anything decent in a final or a big game. Richards, Kohli, Ponting, Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Sangakara, just off the top of my head would be ahead of him.

Kohli is fantastic, needs a World Cup win to be truly great and has the toys to do it.

This ABDV and West Indies thing is a bit of a myth. That is Amla if anyone.

ABDV has wrecked more away India, NZ and Aus in India, NZ and Aus just as much as he has punished the WI away, regularly. Seriously.*

Confirm it for yourselves:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/44936.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

In fact his record in the WI is well below his overall record. He has smashed them at home admittedly. But the WI bowling aint typically their problem of late in limited overs, its their feeble and often pathetic batting which the bowlers and all rounders have compensated for in their WT20 successes.

*I include NZ cos he has toured here at least twice for full ODI series since NZ has been beating everyone BAR Safrica at home regularly including Aus, India, and everyone else. In fact, the only win NZ has over Safrica in ODI that mattered, the rain saved NZ from a typical and further ABDV onslaught in the WC semi final of 2015. The difference between the two sides has oft been ABDV averaging 119 at 110SR.

But no matter how you sell it, he averages over 70 in NZ, India and Australia striking at over 110. That impresses me.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So it's a myth that the fastest century of all time was against the west indies.

And his second fastest and the 13th fastest overall was also against the west indies.

OK, mr sabermetrics.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So it's a myth that the fastest century of all time was against the west indies.

And his second fastest and the 13th fastest overall was also against the west indies.

OK, mr sabermetrics.

Well sure, if you only count 3 of his centuries and ignore his 22 remaining ones and 53 50's. Sure he has made all his runs against WI only.

You're welcome Mr "ABDV only made runs against WI".

Lets just ignore the times he has smashed Aus, India and NZ and AWAY at that. Seems legit.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not sure I said de villiers only scored runs against the west indies.

But then its a myth that he hasn't scored heavily against the 9th ranked west indies apparently.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not sure I said de villiers only scored runs against the west indies.

But then its a myth that he hasn't scored heavily against the 9th ranked west indies apparently.

Well I said he has smashed them at home.

So I really don't know where you're going to go with this.

Are you suggesting his away record in the WI is better than it is in India. NZ or Aus?

Seems you have a problem here Mr ABDV only scores runs vs WI. Narine and Bravo say hi.

:)

TheParraboy

Staff member
just shocked to see that, not trying to make any statement

he destroys everyone else basically, very odd he couldnt get going with the irish, which would have been one of the weaker attacks he has faced?

Latest posts