What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis is overated

Tommy Smith

Referee
Obviously if we're comparing their careers right now then Inglis is miles ahead.

GI is still a truly great fullback and the greatest centre I've ever seen.

I'm just projecting ahead based on what I've seen from RTS. Perhaps his most amazing attribute is just how busy he is. I mean he's broken Mini's all-time metres record by well over 500m. He gets his team on the front foot with every hit up.

He is also showing excellent signs of being a brilliant ballplaying fullback. And his last line defence is outstanding.

He really is excelling at fullback to an extraordinary degree at 21 in just his first year in the position. So I'm willing to day that if he stays in the game for another 8 years - which he probably won't - then he'll have taken fullback play to a new level.

Cause he'd achieved a hell of a lot at such a young age. He is still 28
McQueen was still a winger, Asotasi had become an average prop by that stage and had stopped getting selected by the kiwis. Souths were a pretty ordinary team before Inglis arrived. He changed Souths.
So far rts (ignoring his cameo in 2012) has had a solid debut season, decent second season and breakout third season, Inglis has had prolonged success throughout his career. I'm not saying rts can't have a similar successful career (and if anyone can then it's surely rts) but until he has, you can't really compare him to Inglis
Souths in 2011 were still ordinary, Maguire, Reynolds and Inglis changed Souffs. Also you had a nice amount of juniors coming through like Walker/Burgess. Inglis helped but he wasn't the sole reason.

RTS' break out season was 2013, he was awesome he got winger of the year for boh the Dally M and RLIF, far from solid. 2014 was sort of a transitional year for him with the wing/FB experiment which has really payed off. I prefer a RTS style FB that is always in the game and can come up with freakish plays rather then an Inglis style that fades in and out.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Not sure how you can say RTS had a solid season in 2013 as well. He was named Dally M winger of the year in his first full year in the top grade, highlights a better than solid season IMO.

Like I said earlier, it's silly to dick measure when you can sit back and enjoy these 2 superstars along with players like Milford and Thurston run around every week.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Would've been interesting to see how much better GI could've been at FB if Slater wasn't at Melbourne the same time and he was played there from day 1. It's obvious he is the sort of player that would make it in any position as shown with his Churchill medal playing 5/8.

doyen

Bench
Sheck--8 tests for NZ only so far.

GI--34 tests & 27 SOOs.

Lets see how things pan out over the next 5 yrs.

Remember GI reckons he wants to play until he's 35/36 yrs!!

That could mean,considering he is pretty much one of the first picked for rep matches---58 total internationals,conservatively speaking ,& 51 SOO matches ie. over 100 top of the range matches.

Let's see how Sheck catches up with that record!!!

Last edited:

Jack_Napier

Staff member
If RTS stays in League he'll play 30+ tests like GI. He's only 22 and has racked up 8, another one end of this season as well. No point bringing up origin when comparing a NZ international and an Aussie player is there?

What do you rabbits fans think of RTS's metres gained record this season?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Oh and with the state of GI's knee last few seasons is playing til his 35/36 realistic? As a footy fan I wouldnt mind watching the big unit for another 7 years but I just don't see it happening.

doyen

Bench
If RTS stays in League he'll play 30+ tests like GI. He's only 22 and has racked up 8, another one end of this season as well. No point bringing up origin when comparing a NZ international and an Aussie player is there?

What do you rabbits fans think of RTS's metres gained record this season?

Don't know about metres gained--I do know that GI has saved roughly a 1000 tries though!!

GI will get his knee right in the off season!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Also seen him let in some soft tries doyen.

Hope he gets the knee somewhat sorted, rather see him in full flight even as a chook fan.

expert

Juniors
I heard GI's back hand on his Mrs's created an xtra fathers day present for him? I might be wrong.. All Class!

Bigcoq

Juniors
I heard GI's back hand on his Mrs's created an xtra fathers day present for him? I might be wrong.. All Class!
Inglis may have bashed his wife but that doesn't take anything away from his playing ability or the fact that he had another child to another women. Inglis is a good centre.