Interchange and not using players

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by itsme, Jun 11, 2018.

1. itsme

itsme Juniors

I dont understand why time after time we finish a game and have only used 16 players.

If Mary doesnt have the confidence to use a guy on the bench, why wouldnt he pick someone he does have the confidence to use?

We have had no injuries and our forwards are playing big minutes (with origin). I just hope they dont burn out at the back end of the year.

Today we played with 15 till the last 5 or 6 minutes. In recent weeks we have had JDB playing with injury and possibly a few more. I dont see the point in leaving a fresh guy and not giving him a run. To me its very frustrating to watch. What are all your thoughts on this??

On a positive note im very happy we got the win!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Mary wanted his best players on the field as much as possible. It makes perfect sense to me. We won, we are leading the comp. It is pretty simple for me to understand.

Maybe Mary is preparing for the reduced interchange too.

nontime111, WoyD4LWoy and itsme like this.
  3. itsme

itsme Juniors

Point taken. My concern with that is the effect the increased workload is having.

Another thing is that these fringe players would greatly benefit from the time/exposure in being on the paddock. These are the guys we will be banking on if we do get hit with injuries.

4. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Bench

McGregor has many weaknesses as a coach, but the use (non) of the interchange bench has to be #1. He either is lost in the game and forgets that he has fresh reserves, or, doesn't trust them to do the job in close battle situations, or, just thinks everything is sweet as long as we're winning.

5. watatank

watatank Coach

It's pretty clear there are only so many players that McGregor trusts, which is < 17. It was a tight game, we needed our best players out there, we got the result we wanted. It's not a long term solution but McGregor isn't really interested in that.

The Damo and ouryears like this.
  6. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

When you play the game and you are working your arse off, against other fit, big and strong players, it's a scientific fact that once you feel tired, your performance drops by 20% and your error rate doubles.

Coming off even for 5 minutes reinvigorates you, and your performance stays at a high standard throughout.

Not giving tired and exhausted players a strategic break is Mary's way of telling us he is an idiot and has no idea.

7. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Yeah, and Mary interchanged his best players this game. I noticed that he replaced Vaughn in the first half and then brought him back on in the first half.

8. hermidale1

hermidale1 Juniors

It has nothing to do with the team leading the comp at all. History shows the coach has done this several times since 2016. It has everything to to with the coach and his coaching career. He has no confidence of anyone outside of his 16. If the game is closer than 18 points with 10 to go, then there is no chance any players younger than 23 will get a look in.
    How can anyone possibly think he's preparing for the less interchange.

9. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

No one really thinks that.
    It's their way of apologising for Mary's stupidity.

Lovemedragons, to_ddeath and hazzbeen like this.
  10. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Come finals time, if we make it, I’d hate to think that if we picked up injuries in round 25 that we’d be relying on players to come in who have played a total of 10 minutes of first grade throughout the year.
    But it’s going to happen.

Zucchini, to_ddeath and ouryears like this.
  11. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

I was actually joking when I said that maybe Mary is preparing for less interchange. lol

dragonssamy61 and ouryears like this.
  12. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

Ha, you don’t need less interchange anyway, just do what every other club does and regularly bring players off for an HIA, even when they have hurt their shoulder like Hoffman the other night.

ouryears likes this.
  13. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

I keep thinking back to that 1st game against Souths when the game was in the bag only for Leilua to almost gift the game away.

Think Mary is still a bit spooked to stick less experienced players in tight games still in the balance, hence he stuck Nighty out there instead of Host.

Crush and Frank Facer like this.
  14. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

But there will be a do or die match where we might get a few injuries and he has to.

Then they are not ready, still inexperienced and still prone to errors.

Taking a risk during the season VS final games......what can I say?

No big picture vision from Mary.

15. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

We need to get to those do or die games first.

Losing close games to teams like the Dogs will ensure we won’t make it to those games anyway. Take last year as an example.

16. MilanDragon

MilanDragon Juniors

I think what’s happening is LAM is playing more minutes than most interchange forwards do.

Mix in that Sims and Frizz play 80 minutes, that’s why there is a bench player playing 0 mins essentially. So the question is do you bring on say a Host/Sele to replace Sims or Frizz? Which then you’ve also got to bring the original player back on, burning two interchanges.

If we do that, then Vaughan or Graham play longer minutes. For example yesterday:

Vaughan: 48mins
    Graham: 46mins
    LAM: 47mins
    Latimore: 28mins

Yet for the Dogs, Klemmer played 57mins, Woods 49mins
    Tolman: 47mins

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  17. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

True, but putting nighty in the forwards yesterday surely isn't as good as putting host or others in there.

Plus the games we have won by 14 or more, he still didn't do it.

It's a balancing act that Penrith, storm and rabbits can all do, if you don't want to suddenly have to do it in the finals....you got to do it sometime now.

Zucchini likes this.
  18. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I wonder if it’s a strategy to get our players to have a higher stamina than the opposition..

Get them used to playing with one less man than everyone else..

Then in the run to the finals actually use a proper 4 man bench and run rings around the other teams..

dragonssamy61 and ouryears like this.
  19. Eastview

Eastview Juniors

How about the masterstroke of bringing on a defensive powerhouse in Nightingale for Graham with only 7mins to go with the game in the balance.

#Supercoach.

20. since77

since77 Juniors

Would be nice if one of the “journalists” in those post match press conferences actually asked a meaningful question, like “please tell us the thinking behind the way you use the bench?”.
    McGregor’s use of the bench has been always been inept.