What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interchange to stay at 8 for now

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=ef2146bd6abf1b2ffe94a698c2d0c17c-1525797715

THE NRL are considering a potential reduction in the interchange, according to NRL 360 host Paul Kent.
The interchange currently sits at eight and could be dropped to six as a way to combat the injury toll across all clubs.

The NRL’s competition committee will meet on Friday and the topic will be discussed.

“There are 74 players this week not playing rugby league because they’re injured,” Kent told NRL 360 on Tuesday.

“There are already a dozen players who are out for the season nine rounds in.”

Kent said there’d been a drop in injuries since the NRL originally reduced the interchange from 10 to eight at the start of 2016.

“In 2015 when we played with 10 interchange, there was 1018 games missed because he injury,” he explained.

“ ... Last year we went down to 813 when we had eight interchange.

“This year we’re tracking again for last year’s figures.

“So there is an assumption there, purely from an injury point of view, by tacking out continually fresh players out of the game, the game slows and some of the high impact injuries we’re seeing are no prevalent.”

Kent said in his discussions with Todd Greenberg that the NRL chief executive believed the game had a better feel to it when the interchange was dropped from 10 to eight and that now was the time to consider reducing it further.

This just seems like an invitation to abuse the HIA even more to me. Coaches won't adapt to a change like that when they have a ready made alternative that allows them a free interchange right there waiting to be exploited while the other team decides to be honorable and stick to the proper interchanges.

kdalymc

Bench
It’s funny that some sports still actually have no interchange.
Union none.
Cricket none.
I just found out soccer only has 3 but they usually rock up with a bench of about ten, wtf.
And Aussie rules is unlimited

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s funny that some sports still actually have no interchange.
Union none.
Cricket none.
I just found out soccer only has 3 but they usually rock up with a bench of about ten, wtf.
And Aussie rules is unlimited
Eh?

There are substitutes in rugby and cricket has substitute fielders..

LineBall

Juniors
Eh?

Substitute and interchange are technically different.

I would say Union and Soccer have substitutes while AFL and League have interchange.

kdalymc

Bench
Eh?

I mean once you’re off you’re off.

And it’s not an offical reserve in cricket. I.e it isn’t a professional from the side.
And if you get hurt you are down to 10 men that can bat, it’s not a replacement at all

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I mean once you’re off you’re off.

And it’s not an offical reserve in cricket. I.e it isn’t a professional from the side.
And if you get hurt you are down to 10 men that can bat, it’s not a replacement at all
Same in soccer though, it's not an interchange

cain3y

Juniors
I would also increase the bench to six and once you come off the field you're off. This way coaches would have to keep an extra half on the bench just incase instead of the usual front and second rowers. The game would have a bit more strategy, do I start my best props or bring them on after 20 mins and play the last 60 mins or keep faster smaller players for the back end of the game once all the forwards are completely tanked.

I think it would open the game more and see more trys being scored at the back end of games.

LineBall

Juniors
I would also increase the bench to six and once you come off the field you're off. This way coaches would have to keep an extra half on the bench just incase instead of the usual front and second rowers. The game would have a bit more strategy, do I start my best props or bring them on after 20 mins and play the last 60 mins or keep faster smaller players for the back end of the game once all the forwards are completely tanked.

I think it would open the game more and see more trys being scored at the back end of games.

I agree. Would much rather see substitutes than interchanges (excluding HIA assessment). Would need a bigger bench as you say.

Does anybody think they would go down to 4? Any idea what the average amount of interchanges are made during a game due to a player being injured and unable to continue?

cain3y

Juniors
I agree. Would much rather see substitutes than interchanges (excluding HIA assessment). Would need a bigger bench as you say.

Does anybody think they would go down to 4? Any idea what the average amount of interchanges are made during a game due to a player being injured and unable to continue?
I think if you went down to 4 you would not see any changes in the first half which would be a good thing. You would have to see how the game pans out with injuries before bringing someone on or take the risk and get run down in the second half.

Last edited:

cain3y

Juniors
Or even go to an 8 man bench with 4 or 6 subs so you could keep an extra fullback, wing, centre, half, hooker, prop and second row depending on who gets injured but once you're off you're off. This way you wouldn't see a reshuffle of the players on the field and second rowers playing centre or wing.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I like the sound of this. More fatigue will open up defenses and bring the little creative halves right back into the game. Nice move!

Springs09

Juniors
I always wanted the interchange reduced down to 6 but now I'm not so sure. It seems every time the interchange is reduced more slowing down tactics creep into the game. Wrestling was the first and once it went down to 8 now we have deliberate penalties. And all through it I haven't really noticed the smaller players dominating any more than they used to.

I'm all for it as long as the NRL are strict on the slowing down tactics.

Latest posts