What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interchange to stay at 8 for now

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Might reduce injuries but yeah, there's going to be a hell of a lot more pressure on guys with head injuries to stay on the field.

It's a collision sport, people collide and get hurt. Happens all the time in the NFL. No biggie.

LineBall

Juniors
Might reduce injuries but yeah, there's going to be a hell of a lot more pressure on guys with head injuries to stay on the field.

It's a collision sport, people collide and get hurt. Happens all the time in the NFL. No biggie.

Thus the need for more players on the bench to cover for this.

If the HIA process works properly, there should be no pressure on the players to stay out there as all incidents are reviewed by an independent party who has the final say as to whether the player is fit to continue.

siv

First Grade
Here is a radical idea

No fresh interchanges

Everyone must have played 40 min in reserve grade

But you can have 6 or 8 on the bench with only first 4 used

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good idea in theory, $700k for playing 35mins of a game is taking the pish abit! Oh for the old days were only a broken bone or terrible performance would see you leave the field!

Bring it down to 6 and dont slow the game down and see what happens. Might have to ban dummy half running though.

T-Boon

Coach
Here is a radical idea

No fresh interchanges

Everyone must have played 40 min in reserve grade

But you can have 6 or 8 on the bench with only first 4 used

that certainly gave some meaning to reserve grade being on before firsts. It was fun to watch players in reserves earn a game in first. Those days are over though, we need to get rid of NRL minor grades in order to have stronger non NRL football. That way we will get way better depth and quality of coaches.

David brown

Juniors
Good idea in theory, $700k for playing 35mins of a game is taking the pish abit! Oh for the old days were only a broken bone or terrible performance would see you leave the field!

Bring it down to 6 and dont slow the game down and see what happens. Might have to ban dummy half running though.
What ? They will play the same minutes just longer stints....

T-Boon

Coach
We obviously need to have more space in the game so that line breaks become a factor again rather than everything being down to play the ball speed, line speed and penalties. The straight line discipline of 10 or 11 defenders is close to impossible to break now. Which makes the coaches just play disciplined boring football.
I think we should do something about the 10 metres.
Try to stagger it. I like the idea of having 4 players eligible to defend anywhere behind the ruck while everyone else has to be 15 metres back.

siv

First Grade
Would need reserve grade first

Yes that would help

And then allow NSW Cup and QLD Cup to operate on a level playing field as a "part time league"

Rather than what occurs in NSW a part time league full of professional players. Playing in jersies they dont care to play for. And fans fed up following teams where players and NRL club officials treat them with contempt

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Seems Toddy is evolving the NRL into touch football
Are you sure?
Firstly, what has 'Toddy' done to evolve the game into touch footy?

The game is physically more demanding than any time in its history, the players bigger, more physically fit and stronger. It may not be as violent but if it stayed as violent it was it would have gone the way of the dodo.

The reason why reserve graders sat on the bench after playing a game was because the game back then was semi professional (and that's being very generous) back then. Doing it now would be stupidity.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: reducing the interchange will not bring back the 'little man'. All it will do is make players even more generic in build as coaches will remove the big boppers from their lineup.

T-Boon

Coach
I've said this before and I'll say it again: reducing the interchange will not bring back the 'little man'. All it will do is make players even more generic in build as coaches will remove the big boppers from their lineup.

I agree with this.
We need the Boon Solution.
4 markers allowed anywhere behind advantage line with all other defenders back 15m.

T.S Quint

Coach
Are you sure?
Firstly, what has 'Toddy' done to evolve the game into touch footy?

The game is physically more demanding than any time in its history, the players bigger, more physically fit and stronger. It may not be as violent but if it stayed as violent it was it would have gone the way of the dodo.

The reason why reserve graders sat on the bench after playing a game was because the game back then was semi professional (and that's being very generous) back then. Doing it now would be stupidity.

It also increases the risk of injury.
Tired defenders means more lazy high tackles.

English Rose

Juniors
Will see the value of certain props who play little minutes decrease for example: Burgess Twins, Boyd, Paulo, Tapau etc.

But on the other side how valuable will be the big men who can play 80 mins become for example: Sam Burgess, Jake Trbojevic, Jack De Bellin etc?

There will be lots more examples these players just came off top of my head.

typicalfan

Coach
Bunnies will be fine. Burgess twins just need guys that are fit replacements when they come on. Sam plays big minutes as does Murray.

Latest posts