INTERESTING! St George set for 100% of JV

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Alec's-saints, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Gareth67

Gareth67 Bench

Well my apologies Stan , being a ex- member of the most prestigious Jubilee Avenue certainly means that the chap would know what he is talking about . And to put the icing on the cake he is also a long term Saints supporter , sort of puts my 1/2 century plus to shame .

Fact is that i read it on the back page of the Daily Telegraph , was'nt too interested in the authors name as we are all well aware that the media never , ever prints anything unless it is correct .

Coffs dragon likes this.
  2. BennyV

BennyV Coach

You’d be surprised how many people pump thousands into those machines every day.

3. Crush

Crush Bench

Where do they get their money from?
    Because not many people earn that kind of money.

4. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

Weird that you criticise poor management but won't criticise poor coaching and poor player performances.

Why is that?

Lose the us vs them blue collar mentality Samy.

The main point is hopefully we will bury Illawarra in the pile of dung we leave behind once we pay the bill.

Before Illawarra met us they had never won a thing, and since you bunch of averages merged with us, we have become a bunch of average meat heads too.

We need to shake the fleas off the Dragons.

5. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Juniors

You underestimate the power of the Darkside...... i.e The Chinese

6. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

There is a massive development plan and zillions of dollars soon to be announced.

Will leave all other clubs in our wake.

And also brexit Illawarra!!

nontime111 likes this.
  7. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Coach

Have no idea what the junior base is like in the St George area but it’s pretty strong in the Illawarra part.

Additionally I dare say the St George population can’t really grow much more as the area is already built up, however there is plenty of growth in the Illawarra with several new large estate developments.

Only having 3 games in the Illawarra (4 games is already ridiculous for such a strong league area) is really entering danger area for the region and really leaving it open to AFL (which is growing ) or soccer.

You wouId be risking one of largest junior bases (and growing) in the country, if NRL games / dragons moved away or only played 3 games.

8. SBD82

SBD82 First Grade

Is there anyone who still doesn't recognize @ouryears for the troll that he is? Anyone?

Coffs dragon, The Damo and TruSaint like this.
  9. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Anywhere and everywhere. It’s a real addiction, as bad (if not worse) as smoking or booze. These people await their paycheque so they can put it through the pokies. They will go without eating. They will go into debt. It’s really scary shit.

blacksafake, Drag Queen and The Damo like this.
  10. SBD82

SBD82 First Grade

This. And worse.

Imagine someone being so committed to the machine that they are playing, that they are unwilling to leave it even to go to the toilet. You'd be surprised how common it is.

11. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

This is absolutely true, and the fact our clubs rely on and encourage it is a disgrace.
    They are also use as money laundering sites for cash only black markets which is a small but significant percentage of the total.

blacksafake likes this.
  12. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

What's the name of that Jethro Tull song again?

13. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Juniors

I think anyone who plays the poker machines are stupid. I think they should be illegal.

Saint_JimmyG, muzby and saintzrule like this.
  14. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Juniors

For better or worse StGeorge and Illawarra are married

I don’t believe in divorce.

If Illawarra can’t contribute financially JV ownership could be varied to 80/20.

Games should continue to be split evenly between the two regions.

What needs to change is management of JV.

15. ground zero

ground zero Juniors

Be great with the st george leagues club having full ownership off the dragons again

16. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Juniors

I was wondering if anyone would have any idea of how much St Georges Leagues club would be worth. I am only talking about the actual Leagues club and the land that the Leagues clubs sits on, not the other assets that the League's Club owns. Like say if someone wanted to buy St George Leagues Club?

Then how much would it cost to buy St George Illawarra Rugby League Club too. I am thinking that they may want 40 million for St George Illawarra Rugby League Club, but have no idea how much it would cost to purchase the Leagues Club too.

17. Willow

Willow Administrator

What if it is an unhappy marriage?

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  18. ouryears

ouryears Juniors

How about we still take the juniors but get rid of everything else called Illawarra.
    Also, how many Illawarra juniors are playing in our firsts?
    Any?

Like all other teams, just buy players.
    Seriously, name the current local juniors in first grade.

Time to exit Illawarra, because they are a road to mediocrity.

19. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Coach

According to the dragons site you have a squad of 33 players https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/

10 players from that squad have played juniors in the Illawarra/group 7 comp:

Marsters
    Frizell - playing firsts
    Sims - playing firsts
    Ford
    Lawrie - playing firsts
    Lomax
    Sailor
    Garrick
    Field
    Aitken - playing firsts

That’s pretty impressive with nearly a third of the squad from the Illawarra and 4 are playing NRL.

And while some of the above may have been recruited as teenagers and played in the Illawarra comp, the fact the local comp was strong enough to support their development is important (did you know the sharks under 16 A grade sides were playing in the Illawarra comp for a few years as their comp wasn’t strong enough).

Also other Illawarra juniors playing NRL/or nrl contracted include Merrin/Morris twins/Murchie/Sims/linnett/Rein/Prior/Cook (I am sure I have probably missed a player or 2)

So the area produces plenty of players

20. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

Off the top of my head Frizzel, Sims, Field, Luc Leilua, Aitken, Lawrie. Probably a few others. A lot playing for other clubs. Oh, and MacGregor of course.

Frankly, if you don't develop juniors that just turns you into a Manly or a Roosters or a Storm type club ie clubs with no soul. Who wants to support that?