What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INTERIM ASSOCIATION OF RUGBY LEAGUE SUPPORTERS

Mighty Tiger

Bench
brook said:
That game sounds good to me - I'd make it before the game at leichhardt though so we can get together and make some noise! There is a hawkes game before hand so maybe we can all try and get there for that too? (I know I will be)

Hmmm I wonder if I could call up sick for that game ;-)

On a serious note looks like we will be up and running then for this game!

Bald Tiger

Juniors
So lets meet at Leichhardt before the PL game against Parramatta on Saturday 30 August (kick off 7.45 according to website)
According to the fixture list on the Tigers website the Hawks are playing at 7pm at Leichhardt on Friday 29 August.
That seems odd.
So how about Saturday. Where do you guys usually sit?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
So lets meet at Leichhardt before the PL game against Parramatta on Saturday 30 August (kick off 7.45 according to website)
According to the fixture list on the Tigers website the Hawks are playing at 7pm at Leichhardt on Friday 29 August.
That seems odd.

How about sitting if fine on the seats on the 50 meter line hill side?

brook

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
Bald Tiger said:
That seems odd.

How about sitting if fine on the seats on the 50 meter line hill side?

that sounds good to me cause everyone usually sits on the grandstand side so that way we'll find each other easily - plus its the best view in the ground :)

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Great stuff. Brook can you put an announcement on this site - you know at the top of the page? Can you also say we are meeting there (a) to support the team and (b) to also discuss creating a Balmain Fans Group.

westie

Bench
Bald tiger. You seem interested in organising a fan group. You probably wernt around when I tryed to do it earlier in the year and as such wont realise the complications of starting a group. Let me just say that it is very hard and as such any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

When I tryed to get the group started earlier in the year, I never really got past organising a name for it because everyone got on their high horse and bitched about every name suggested. The biggest complaint was that the names were too baised towards Balmain or Wests. I think the only way to solve this is to call it the Wests Tigers Army.

We then need to decide if you wil have to pay for membership. $5 a year wont bother anybody and will help pay for things such as membership cards, buying merchandise etc.

Clubs such as Eels World Order and The Burrow have got things like scarves and T-shirts with their clubs name on it. After a design is made up for about $90 you can get the shirts for about $2 each. Scarves can be bought for about $8. Many people wanted to wear their jerseys to the games so I suggested getting Wests Tigers Army printed on the back in that white stuff where the players last name usually goes. We could also get the number in which they joined printed on the back of their jersey.

There is a lot of work to be done and as I said earlier any help you can provide will be really appreciated.

Gobbso

Juniors
So let me get this straight...this supposed Association of Rugby League fans, is going to have a say in the running of Rugby League, or at least let 'our' voicers heard by the NRL hierarchy? Sounds like someone is dreaming. Rugby League stopped listening to the fans when Super League hit and destroyed the game. Both the ARL and Super League (News ltd) became independent sporting organisations that didn't just try to provide entertaining Rugby League, but tried to defeat one another in the process. That didn't happen. The unification between the ARL and News ltd, saw a Joint-Venture between the two organisations, which we all know is known as the NRL. But even when the game came back together at the end of '97, there was still nobody listening to the fans. How so? Did any one ask the supporters of Gold Coast, Adelaide, Illawarra, Norths, Manly, Balmain, Western Suburbs, Souths fans that it would be ok to murder their club so News ltd could get their way? I don't remember being asked, and i don't remember agreeing to anything either :roll: Then we, the fans, find out through the Souths Court case against the NRL (News ltd) that the Criteria was false, and that all clubs were able to compete, as long as they could remain profitable, which both Balmain and the Magpies were. So there once again, the fans were lied too. I mean it sounds like a great initiative, but in my opinion, i just don't think its going to work. Want to listen to the fans? Well listen to this, give us back our clubs and our game. :evil:

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Gobbs mate beleave it or not this group has been approved by the NRL.

Its easy to look back on how clubs like the Magpies and Tigers where treated but it won't change a thing on how the game is run in the future if we continue to dwell on the past now will it?

Where this group leads us down the track who knows but at least there are some people who are willing to go out and try and make a difference for us fans even if it might be a waste of time!

B_Tiger

Juniors
Snide the Tiger said:
B-Tiger - you may have a voice but your lack of concern as to the grounds on and powers by which this voice can be silenced or censored ignores the issue at hand!!!

The primary voice of the NRL is News Limited - with its specific agendas and biasses based on corporate interests - and our collective voice as grass roots fans is a proverbial whisper when facing such saturation!!!

While I do not specifically endorse the proposed forum - any such dissident voices on the behalf of we disenfranchised supporters (no matter whether they be but cries in the wilderness) must be welcomed!!!!

Good luck to those trying to assert a greater influence on our behalf (not that we fans are a homogenous base - but our strength is in our numbers)!!!

every person and corporation has their own agenda to push. News ltd are f**king crap and their bullshit pisses me off every time I bother to buy their shitty newspaper. But some bloody fans association isn't going to do crap about that. Media is always going to push their own interests. What would an FA achieve? And what is the fans collective voice snide? We all want different things. The perspectives of tigers and roosters fans concerning what is best for league would be completely different. The contrast between fans in sydney and fansd outside of sydney is also very different. There is not one collective voice and a FA would not achieve fan representation in Rugby League, It would only represent the voices of 15 fans and I don't want one of those fans claiming to represent my needs as a wests tigers supporter. It would simply be a big pile of bullshit that achieved sweet f**k all in the name of rugby league fans.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Interesting point BT - for example salary cap. Roosters want it lifted to allow - we dont. Its a big issue - would the FA take a view on that? And why wouldnt fans just put own clubs interest first?

westie

Bench
The idea is that the FA presents the views of the majority of fans. Which means polls and and surveys etc have to be made. As Phil said it is NRL sanctioned which at least gives us a little bit to work with. We arent going to get a lot of power over night but we are taking it slowly and surely.

At the moment the main objective of the FA is to incorporate and insure itself. We also have to elect treasurers and all that other boring stuff.

Gobbs you mentioned that somebody might be dreaming. I spose we are dreaming, but you need to have a dream if you want to get some where. BTW this isnt just an NRL association, we plan to make it represent the whole of Australia if not the world. Which means our second step will probably be premier league.

B_Tiger

Juniors
again, what do the majority of fans want?

There isn't a bloody majority!!!

I'd say the majority of Balmain fans probably want Balmain back, probably want a more localised competition maybe with the inclusion of Newtown and western suburbs. But then, what do Broncos fans want? They probably want a game appealing to broader Australia with less teams in sydney and teams such as wests tigers gotten rid of. these are two completely contradictory ideals. And it isn't easy to generalise the ideas of Balmain fans either because a lot of their views are in complete contrast as well. Many support the merger, many want Balmain back. You can't get a majority out of that becuase there is no f**king majority.

Just say 51% of Wests tigers fans want the merger and 49% want the merger broken. The majority view is that wests tigers should stay. But if that view is taken then the person representing the Wests Tigers is doing the complete opposite to what 49% of the fans he represents actually want and that simply doesn't work. Again, what is the point? If you are unhappy about a certain aspect of rugby league then join the football club and vote for who you want. if no candidate impresses you then run yourself. I don't see what advantage an FA has. There should be greater encouragement put on football club involvement rather then creating a completely seperate entity that attempts to do the same thing, represent the fans. So join the football club, get involved! There is no need for an FA.

I think Parrajesus summed it up in his article. The fan conference made him feel special, made him feel like his opinion was important. He just wants a little more of that feeling, a little more recognition. But f**k him. That conference was a complete load of bullshit that he himself points out achieved nothing. So why create this? People want to feel a little more important. All the FA would achieve is giving 15 people a little more self-importance, it'd do nothing for rugby league.

westie

Bench
B_Tiger said:

I'd say the majority of Balmain fans probably want Balmain back, probably want a more localised competition maybe with the inclusion of Newtown and western suburbs. But then, what do Broncos fans want? They probably want a game appealing to broader Australia with less teams in sydney and teams such as wests tigers gotten rid of. these are two completely contradictory ideals. And it isn't easy to generalise the ideas of Balmain fans either because a lot of their views are in complete contrast as well. Many support the merger, many want Balmain back. You can't get a majority out of that becuase there is no f**king majority.

Just say 51% of Wests tigers fans want the merger and 49% want the merger broken. The majority view is that wests tigers should stay. But if that view is taken then the person representing the Wests Tigers is doing the complete opposite to what 49% of the fans he represents actually want and that simply doesn't work. Again, what is the point? If you are unhappy about a certain aspect of rugby league then join the football club and vote for who you want. if no candidate impresses you then run yourself. I don't see what advantage an FA has. There should be greater encouragement put on football club involvement rather then creating a completely seperate entity that attempts to do the same thing, represent the fans. So join the football club, get involved! There is no need for an FA.

I think Parrajesus summed it up in his article. The fan conference made him feel special, made him feel like his opinion was important. He just wants a little more of that feeling, a little more recognition. But f**k him. That conference was a complete load of bullshit that he himself points out achieved nothing. So why create this? People want to feel a little more important. All the FA would achieve is giving 15 people a little more self-importance, it'd do nothing for rugby league.

You mention fans of different clubs having different ideas. You seem to think it will be the downfall of the FA. Unfortunatly for you we thought of that a while ago and the solution is very simple. When taking surveys or whatever we are doing at the time, we get people to state which club they follow so not only can we find out what the majority of NRL fans want we can also find out what supporters of individual clubs want.

If you want to continue to have absolutly no say in how things are run, fine. Just dont bag the people that want to.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
westie said:
If you want to continue to have absolutly no say in how things are run, fine. Just dont bag the people that want to.

Westie this is a forum isn't it?

Therefore he can bag whoever he likes!

At least he is being honest and he is making some very good points, why not take them and use them ;-)

westie

Bench
Mighty Tiger said:
westie said:

Westie this is a forum isn't it?

Therefore he can bag whoever he likes!

At least he is being honest and he is making some very good points, why not take them and use them ;-)

He can if he wants but in my eyes he is bagging people for absolutly no reason which makes him look like a dick.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
westie said:
He can if he wants but in my eyes he is bagging people for absolutly no reason which makes him look like a dick.

Umm he is giving reasons and some are very valid as well which I agree with :shock:

Gobbso

Juniors
B_Tiger said:

I'd say the majority of Balmain fans probably want Balmain back, probably want a more localised competition maybe with the inclusion of Newtown and western suburbs. But then, what do Broncos fans want? They probably want a game appealing to broader Australia with less teams in sydney and teams such as wests tigers gotten rid of. these are two completely contradictory ideals. And it isn't easy to generalise the ideas of Balmain fans either because a lot of their views are in complete contrast as well.

Exactly!!! How can one representative from Wests Tigers get our idea's across to the NRL, when they may not necessarily agree with the proposed idea's themselves? And if you've got 3 segments of supporters (Balmain, Magpies, Wests Tigers) not agreeing, and want their voices to be heard, then how is this Association going to be successful? Especially when you've got 14 other clubs that have got other idea's and may think that the idea's presented by the Wests Tigers representative are a joke. As i said, sounds good, but i just don't think its going to really work, especially not with this Joint-Venture.

westie

Bench
Gobbso said:
B_Tiger said:

I'd say the majority of Balmain fans probably want Balmain back, probably want a more localised competition maybe with the inclusion of Newtown and western suburbs. But then, what do Broncos fans want? They probably want a game appealing to broader Australia with less teams in sydney and teams such as wests tigers gotten rid of. these are two completely contradictory ideals. And it isn't easy to generalise the ideas of Balmain fans either because a lot of their views are in complete contrast as well.

Exactly!!! How can one representative from Wests Tigers get our idea's across to the NRL, when they may not necessarily agree with the proposed idea's themselves? And if you've got 3 segments of supporters (Balmain, Magpies, Wests Tigers) not agreeing, and want their voices to be heard, then how is this Association going to be successful? Especially when you've got 14 other clubs that have got other idea's and may think that the idea's presented by the Wests Tigers representative are a joke. As i said, sounds good, but i just don't think its going to really work, especially not with this Joint-Venture.

We are working on getting a rep for Wests Tigers who is completly unbiased. Phil was gunna do it but thinks he leans too much towards Balmain. At the moment I'm doing Wests and Brook is doing Balmain. As I said when we are doing work with providing information to the NRL we can show them what supporters who were originally Wests or Balmain want.

Gobbso

Juniors
westie said:
We are working on getting a rep for Wests Tigers who is completly unbiased.

You'll never get that. And that's the truth. True blue Wests Tigers supporters come from either the Balmain or Western Suburbs side of the fence. So to be fair dinkum, even the staunchest Joint-Venture fan, would be lying if they did not admit if they favoured their original support for either the Tigers or the Magpies. And that's nothing to be ashamed of, its just natural. We just can't help it.