What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Rugby League Fiesta!

latingringo101

Juniors
International Rugby League Revolution!

http://www.nospam18.com/images/nations/Chile/LHFebGames.jpg

Rugby league’s foothold in new and exciting territories will be showcased on February 4 when four international matches are held back-to-back at Liverpool All Saints, in Sydney’s west.

The day will feature full 80-minute, 13-a-side men’s matches between Chile and Poland, El Salvador and Thailand, Uruguay and Hungary, and Peru and Africa United.

For Uruguay, Peru and Poland, the event will herald their debuts in full-length matches against sovereign nations.

It will also be the first time Hungary and Poland have played a full match outside of Europe.

Earlier games are set to feature a combined Latin American under 17 team against similarly-aged rivals from Africa United, and a team representing the nations of the Incan Empire (Tawantinsuyu) facing Sydney University.

“We think fans will love the event as a way to kick-off a year in which the 2017 Rugby League World Cup and the proposed Emerging Nations World Championship come to Australasia,” Latin American Rugby League president Daniel Godinez said.

“To have communities from Latin America, Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe all converging to celebrate a game that was unknown by them a few decades ago is a real positive for the sport.

“None of these teams is ranked in the top 20 at the moment, but I believe it’s only a matter of time before one breaks through.

“I can remember people doubting Sri Lanka would ever be a force in international cricket not that long ago and they’ve since become world champions in multiple forms of the game.”

In the latest Rugby League international Federation rankings Chile is listed 34th, Hungary is 38th and El Salvador is 39th, with the other nations recognised by the RLIF, but as-yet unranked.

For Godinez, who arrived in Australia as a childhood refugee and spent several months in Villawood Immigration Centre, the ability of rugby league to put nations such as his homeland El Salvador on the map is something special.

“I’m sure a lot of people don’t realise, but El Salvador has not made a FIFA World Cup for 35 years, and the rugby union team has been heavily beaten in recent times,” he said.

“It’s a tough country full of tough people and rugby league has a real opportunity to create attention if we continue to build on recent foundations.

“For each of the teams competing on February 4, we hope this is a positive way for their people to unify and show strength on the world stage in another pursuit.”

Two brand new jerseys featuring the tribal markings of their respective cultures will be displayed by Peru and the Tawantinsuyu team.

Peruvian front-rower Juan Carlos Carrion was chief designer of his team’s kit, while Ecuadoran forward Rodney Garcia conceptualised the Tawantinsuyu strip.

“I have Incan heritage via my father’s side and it’s something I’m quite proud of,” Garcia said.

“The team to play Sydney University will have players from all the nations that today reflect the extent of the Incan empire – from Colombia and Ecuador in the north, down to Bolivia, Peru, Chile and Argentina.

“I’ve had the honour of captaining Ecuador before, but this will be a special moment too.”

Tickets to the day will be $15 for adults or $25 for a family (two adults and two children), with proceeds split between the competing nations for future grassroots development.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 4, LIVERPOOL ALL SAINTS, Hillier Oval, Memorial Avenue, Liverpool.

1:15pm Latin Heat U17 v Africa United U17
2:30pm Incans (Tawantinsuyu) v Sydney University
4pm Peru v Africa United
5:30pm Uruguay v Hungary
7pm El Salvador v Thailand
8.30pm Chile v Poland

http://www.nospam18.com/rlp-nations/chile/2824-international-rugby-league-revolution

taipan

Referee
Hope the FTA stations ,at least do a report on the event in their news.It's something new and unique for rugby league.
The "home of rugby league" LOL ch9,should be first cab off the rank for this story.

latingringo101

Juniors
Hope the FTA stations ,at least do a report on the event in their news.It's something new and unique for rugby league.
The "home of rugby league" LOL ch9,should be first cab off the rank for this story.
Yeah it'd be great if the T.V stations covered this.

We have actually appeared numerous times in Channel 9 media such as the Sunday Footy Show and various newspapers of Newscorp, but an afternoon on Prime time would be great :)

A lot of significant events happening such as;

1. Africa United's first full internationals as a Junior team.

2. First time of Full internationals between European/Asian & Latin American Teams.

3. Debut of the first Incan RL team!

4. First Full international for Polish RL in Australia

taipan

Referee
Contact the stations' sports' departments, let them know the unique event is on.Especially as it is on a few days after Australia Day(the day when all people are united ,such as this event) .

Evil Homer

Staff member

We have actually appeared numerous times in Channel 9 media such as the Sunday Footy Show and various newspapers of Newscorp, but an afternoon on Prime time would be great :)

2. First time of Full internationals between European/Asian & Latin American Teams.

Full matches, not full internationals. Full internationals are between the senior teams of RLIF accredited nations and players win caps. Minor issue but it's important to get this stuff right. Should be a great day regardless.

taipan

Referee

Well you guys are off to a good start.Can't buy the publicity you got in the D.T with colour photos.
In today's Sunday Telegraph 3/4 page with photos showing Fittler conducting a training session for Africa United players at Narrabeen.
Then a decent story by Michael Carayannis.Thank goodness Rothfield didn't write the story.
Taking my time here is the story"

Rugby league icon Brad Fittler has labelled Africa as the next frontier in NRL recruitment.
Fittler said African players were unbelievably suited to the game and wants to establish a pathway which could eventually lead to an African born player in the NRL
Fittler has done something similar in Fiji in recent years.
You look at how good the Jamaican athletes are and the NFL players are largely West African Fittler said.
You look at the NFL and you don't realise how many American Samoans are playing.There is something in the water that just makes athletes.

Rugby league always proves itself on being blue collar and we always say we're going to be tougher that rugby union because of our background, and we say we fight harder.No one has fought harder than African people whether it's them or their parents.We can embrace that.

We can see what the Fijian wingers bring to our game, no one knows what heh Africans can bring to our game because we haven't seen it. Why can't we?

Fittler has increased his involvement in helping African players prosper.
He hosted a training session with 17 players -largely from Western Sydney at the NSW RL Narrabeen HQ on friday.
He spoke at length with the group about life lessons and his own experiences about growing up in Western Sydney before he conducted a training session.

The players are part of the African United rl team,an emerging side that will play a test against PERU at Liverpool on February 4th.The idea was to se what they like about the game and see if we can help and give them pathways and let them understand our game.They are growing up in areas which aren't easy.

The idea is to do this and send a video to an African nation and try and find a uni over there.My goal is to 1)Make this team better and 2)get a player from over there to come and play.I don't know how much it costs but let's find them a pathway out of those places which are under distress.

Footy has done wonderful things for me.I want them to know I care.

Among those to attend the training session was towering Obed Karwhin caught Fittler's eye when he was playing in a summer tournament organised by the PCYC five years ago.
Karwhin who scored a hat trick of tries in his u20s debut for the Tigers in 2015-has recently joined Manly.His story is one of inspiration, walking for a month as a 5yr old to flee war torn Ivory Coast.

"I can remember everything" Karwin said" I was walking with my mum 3 aunties, and 17 kids..We saw many horrible things.
My mum did a lot to take me out of that horrible place,I have the goal of being the first full African to play in the NRL"

Fittler may come as across as an amateur when doing comments on TV games , but you cannot bag his devotion to the game.

Last edited:

Polska XIII

Juniors
POLAND 56 (Jayden Zeklezniak 2, Mitch Shaw 2, Jordan Owen 2, Ethan Niszczot, Cheyne Pike, Zac Pitt, Alex Kowalski, Jaydon Sienkiewicz tries; Matt Hastie 6 goals) d CHILE 0. Halftime: Poland 30-0.

THAILAND 32 (Suhttirak Choengkhiri 2, Scott Stapleton 2, Don Boonkhit, Joseph Halpin, Dangmo Chimpla tries; Chris Twigg 2 goals) d EL SALVADOR 12 (Alvaro Alarcon 2 tries; Miguel Gonzalez 2 goals). Halftime: Thailand 22-6.

HUNGARY 50 (Brent Varga 2, Nathan Farkas 2, Aaron Farkas, David Farkas, Ryan Nemeth, Karoly Acsai, Josh Institoris tries; Aaron Farkas 6, Jared Farkas, Stephen Nemeth goals) d URUGUAY 4 (Nicholas Cama try). Halftime: Hungary 28-0.

AFRICA UNITED 68 (Job Baboth 3, Fairouz Elkander 2, Mun Mapiou 2, Bevan de Vries 2, Joel Tubbs, Frederick Solo, Seth Buckley, Yibeltal Campbell, Jonathan Saweris tries; Bevan de Vries 4, Jordan Adebumowa, Gerald Dzirutwe goals) d PERU 10 (Issac Guerin 2; Frank Altamirano goal). Halftime: Africa United 44-0.

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY 48 (Jay Parker 3, Tyson Wade 2, Kazuki f**kushige, Ahmed Yatim, Anthony Jury, Mounir Daghestani tries; Adam Vrahnos 5, Ahmed Yatim goals) d INCAS 0. Halftime: Sydney University 26-0.

AFRICA UNITED UNDER 17S 26 (John Kwiah 2, Saidu Samura 2, Ezekial Adenako tries; Samuel Karwhin 3 goals) d LATIN HEAT UNDER 17s 18 (Jayziah Calderon, Frank Altamirano, Timathy Gonzalez, Moo Doh tries; Diego Papa goal). Halftime: Latin Heat 12-10.

Arucard

Juniors
POLAND 56 (Jayden Zeklezniak 2, Mitch Shaw 2, Jordan Owen 2, Ethan Niszczot, Cheyne Pike, Zac Pitt, Alex Kowalski, Jaydon Sienkiewicz tries; Matt Hastie 6 goals) d CHILE 0. Halftime: Poland 30-0.

THAILAND 32 (Suhttirak Choengkhiri 2, Scott Stapleton 2, Don Boonkhit, Joseph Halpin, Dangmo Chimpla tries; Chris Twigg 2 goals) d EL SALVADOR 12 (Alvaro Alarcon 2 tries; Miguel Gonzalez 2 goals). Halftime: Thailand 22-6.

HUNGARY 50 (Brent Varga 2, Nathan Farkas 2, Aaron Farkas, David Farkas, Ryan Nemeth, Karoly Acsai, Josh Institoris tries; Aaron Farkas 6, Jared Farkas, Stephen Nemeth goals) d URUGUAY 4 (Nicholas Cama try). Halftime: Hungary 28-0.

AFRICA UNITED 68 (Job Baboth 3, Fairouz Elkander 2, Mun Mapiou 2, Bevan de Vries 2, Joel Tubbs, Frederick Solo, Seth Buckley, Yibeltal Campbell, Jonathan Saweris tries; Bevan de Vries 4, Jordan Adebumowa, Gerald Dzirutwe goals) d PERU 10 (Issac Guerin 2; Frank Altamirano goal). Halftime: Africa United 44-0.

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY 48 (Jay Parker 3, Tyson Wade 2, Kazuki f**kushige, Ahmed Yatim, Anthony Jury, Mounir Daghestani tries; Adam Vrahnos 5, Ahmed Yatim goals) d INCAS 0. Halftime: Sydney University 26-0.

AFRICA UNITED UNDER 17S 26 (John Kwiah 2, Saidu Samura 2, Ezekial Adenako tries; Samuel Karwhin 3 goals) d LATIN HEAT UNDER 17s 18 (Jayziah Calderon, Frank Altamirano, Timathy Gonzalez, Moo Doh tries; Diego Papa goal). Halftime: Latin Heat 12-10.
Thanks bro.
Tough night out for all the Latin boys. Ouch.

Polska XIII

Juniors
The effort was there from the Latin Boys they never gave up despite the score lines . They have a great system in place and coaching and support staff and are building towards bigger and better things.On behalf of the Polish team We wish them all the best in there development.