What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction to Anime

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm trying to get into anime and wanted to know what the anime fans would suggest watching first?

I've seen Akira in the past (it wasn't bad, but I didn't love it) and used to watch Evangelion on and off. I was a fan of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle too.

I'm looking for movies rather than TV shows, although I'll listen to recommendations for both. Hook me up!

Parra Pride

Coach
Ghost in the Shell
Kara no Kyoukai
Paprika
Perfect Blue
Millennium Actress
Grave of the Fireflies
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Spirited Away
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki
The Garden of Words
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Tokyo Godfathers

Pugzley

Macross saga
Tenchi Muyo
Excel Saga
Teknoman
Ninja Scroll
The Castle of Cagliostro
Rurouni Kenshin
Eureka Seven
Strike Witches
Astroboy (original series)
Samurai Seven

Pugzley

Oh and also:

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed

Only if you want an introduction to the model kit building side of anime.

Big Pete

Referee
Mis - Sounds like you might be a fan of Studio Ghibli so I'd start with eloyd's recommendations first and probably in that order too - he's selected a good balance from what I understand.

If you want to sample another style, I'd suggest Satoshi Kon and check out Perfect Blue, which you'll quickly realised inspired a critically acclaimed Hollywood film (I won't spoil it).

As for television shows, I'd stick to short shows - otherwise you'll be up to episode 600 and wonder what you're doing with your life. Shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Wolf's Rain, Paranoia Agent (Satoshi Kon's work) only last between 13-26 episodes and are pretty accessible to western audiences.

Springs

First Grade
Grave of the Fireflies. No.1 anime hands down.
Others - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Ghost in the Shell and Howl's Moving Castle would be my other favourites.
Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied and Hellsing Ultimate are some awesome short TV series.

Parra Pride

Coach
What??:sarcasm:

I just don't think this is the type of thing Mis is looking for. :lol:

[youtube]HSaqvhvnAgI[/youtube]

In addition to the movies I posted earlier, some TV series:

Cowboy Bebop
Monster (Guillermo Del Toro was putting together a pilot for a live action TV series of this that would air on HBO, not sure what's happened there though)
Seriel Experiments Lain
Fate/Zero
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (This is a separate continuity from the two movies)
Bakemonogatari

Last edited:

Pugzley

Love Hina
Tenchi Muyo
School Days
Ah! My Goddess
Sailor Moon

These are anime that you can watch with a girl, Mis.

Pugzley

What. I'm trying to impart some wisdom for the newbie here, Parra!! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Fullmetal Alchemist is an awesome anime, definitely recommended although it is a TV show