What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction to Anime

WYD

Juniors
Rewatching Spirited Away and absolutely adore the setting of it. Are there any other films with similarly fantastical or mythic settings that I should check out?

Beyond the obvious Studio Gibli films, obv.
I think that you'd enjoy Mushishi if you're willing to give a series a try, trust me it's good.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

Synopsis

"Mushi": the most basic forms of life in the world. They exist without any goals or purposes aside from simply "being." They are beyond the shackles of the words "good" and "evil." Mushi can exist in countless forms and are capable of mimicking things from the natural world such as plants, diseases, and even phenomena like rainbows.

This is, however, just a vague definition of these entities that inhabit the vibrant world of Mushishi, as to even call them a form of life would be an oversimplification. Detailed information on Mushi is scarce because the majority of humans are unaware of their existence.

So what are Mushi and why do they exist? This is the question that a "Mushi-shi," Ginko, ponders constantly. Mushi-shi are those who research Mushi in hopes of understanding their place in the world's hierarchy of life.

Ginko chases rumors of occurrences that could be tied to Mushi, all for the sake of finding an answer.

It could, after all, lead to the meaning of life itself...

Parra Pride

Coach
Rewatching Spirited Away and absolutely adore the setting of it. Are there any other films with similarly fantastical or mythic settings that I should check out?

Beyond the obvious Studio Gibli films, obv.
'

You could try Hotarubi no Mori e.

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. It's about a titanic clash between demon's and the end of the world. :sarcasm:

f**king hell Pugz, we went over this before, you're going to scare him away with this shit.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. It's about a titanic clash between demon's and the end of the world. :sarcasm:

See, this sounds really awesome, but than Parra Pride says:

f**king hell Pugz, we went over this before, you're going to scare him away with this shit.

Should I be afraid?

I think that you'd enjoy Mushishi if you're willing to give a series a try, trust me it's good.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

I'm not adverse to serialized programming. If anything, I prefer it. I assume I'd better get used to reading rather than listening though?

Attack on Titan is sweet as hell. 25 eps at an 8 hour run time (assuming you'll binge it).

Elfen Lied is my favourite anime other than Dragonball, absolutely tragic story with some cool themes running throughout. I cried like a bitch watching it, twice. Couple gory scenes, including one of the most intense openings of any show ever. It is really good. 13 eps for a 4 hour run time.

Cowboy Bebop is also really good, has 26 episodes.

Will check 'em out.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'm not adverse to serialized programming. If anything, I prefer it. I assume I'd better get used to reading rather than listening though?

It doesn't take long to do both. I can usually glance down and take in the whole line then keep watching. Not sure if that's just my reading skillz though. Thing is, in some of the really good stuff, the voice actors are bloody top notch, so the emotions carry through the language barrier. I found Elfen Lied better in japanese, but it is pretty much one of the strongest dubs if you prefer to watch in english though.

Cowboy Bebop i preferred in english, the voices are pretty rad.

If you watch a lot of english dubs the voices are often stilted and don't have natural pauses like you'd hear in normal english, because they are trying to fill the gaps from the japanese lip synching. You get used to it though.

WYD

Juniors
It depends on the dub, sometimes the English dub is good, occasionally it's even better than the Japanese dub. I did watch the Japanese dub/English sub for this series though. The English dub on Cowboy Bebop and Baccano are very good, I watched them in English.

kit66

Bench
I'll second Mushishi, it's a great series.
Eureka is a much better giant robo series than Evangelion, it doesn't take itself half as seriously and the characters aren't all depressed and twisted little psychos like the ones in Evangelion.

Akira is a classic and anything from Studio Ghibli ( Totoro, Mononoke, Spirited Away, the fantastic Porco Rosso etc ) are well worth a look - especially on the big screen if you ever get the chance.

Lupin III, is a good series and also a stack of stand alone movies, with Castle Cagliostro being one of the best.

The Ghost In The Shell series are excellent.

Pugzley

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn. 7 episodes, each lasting 1hr. Great if you want to get into Gundam but don't have the time to immerse yourself. Has all the themes Gundam is known for such as child soldiers, war, peace and what it means to be human.

[youtube]hxB_H6iux1w[/youtube]

Patlabor. Police with mechs. Good thing they only use these things on special case crims.

[youtube]Z9UtUzjUA5Q[/youtube]

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Another great Satoshi Kon film was 'Tokyo godfathers'.
Such a shame he died so young.

Also, skip gundam. Massively over rated, only gets the love it does because most of it comes from tubby shut ins.

Serial experiments Lain has been mentioned, and is a must see.

Grave of the fireflies is a difficult watch to say the least, just heartbreaking stuff.

And for chuckles and immature humour, Great Teacher Onizuka is a good place to start.

If you want odd, go to flcl, go directly to flcl.

Last edited:

Pugzley

Another great Satoshi Kon film was 'Tokyo godfathers'.
Such a shame he died so young.

Also, skip gundam. Massively over rated, only gets the love it does because most of it comes from tubby shut ins.

Serial experiments Lain has been mentioned, and is a must see.

Grave of the fireflies is a difficult watch to say the least, just heartbreaking stuff.

And for chuckles and immature humour, Great Teacher Onizuka is a good place to start.

If you want odd, go to flcl, go directly to flcl.

super-bright-slap-o.gif

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
LOL

Seriously Mis, Gundam is like the Islam of anime.

Mention a bad thing about it and the extremists go bananas.

Gundam is simplistic storytelling repackaged again and again for rusted on fans.

Evangelion is heading down the same route, albeit with the same characters in the same story. One great series is simply not enough for some.

Last edited:

Pugzley

LOL

Seriously Mis, Gundam is like the Islam of anime.

Mention a bad thing about it and the extremists go bananas.

Gundam is simplistic storytelling repackaged again and again for rusted on fans

Evangelion is heading down the same route, albeit with the same characters in the same story. One great series is simply not enough for some.

capt.sri10209151139.india_kashmir_pope_protest_sri102.jpg

Behead all those who insult the Gundam!!!

Ranma - repetitive but fun

Inuyasha - see above

Another - horror horror horror one of the best though :)

Higurashi when they cry - at times hard to watch but its such a good anime with a great storyline

The world god only knows

To Love-Ru/Motto to love-ru/To love-ru Darkness

Ixion Saga dt - possibly the most fun anime everrrrrr