What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intrust Super Cup 2016

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 1 Instrust Super Cup results

Jets 38 beat Devils 24
Blackhawks 18 beat Dolphins 16
Capras 24 beat Cutters 10
Falcons 25 beat Pride 24
TH Seagulls 28 beat Tigers 24
Hunters 36 beat Magpies 18
Bears 44 beat WM Seagulls 22

mikail-eagle

Bench
Points Ladder

12670376_10153605255434387_7445188466269849766_n.jpg

expansionist

Juniors
I was at the Souths v Hunters game.

God I love the Qcup.

about 24 people there - all going for PNG. My boy was sitting next to Wayne Bennett, and had no idea who he is and didnt care either really.

Was more interested when Michael Marum came up.

An OK game in incredible heat.

The Partisan

Onya MiKail for taking the initiative.

Expansionist, are you saying it was a poor crowd ? Unusual for a Hunters game if so.

PS. Backed Hunters to win the comp on FootyTab. Paying $7 from memory ???

expansionist

Juniors
Onya MiKail for taking the initiative.

Expansionist, are you saying it was a poor crowd ? Unusual for a Hunters game if so.

I was at the Souths v Hunters game last year - and it seemed like this crowd was waaaaay down. There was basically no one there. 99.9% PNG fans too.

Souths have to really gear up commercially... First drop the logan thing, and secondly get at least to 1990's standard! Everyone around me was PNG fans - every single one of them complaining about the horrible conditions at Davies Park.

XXXX Cap

Juniors

I have very smartly backed Wynnum @ $15. One look at the ladder will show what a good investment it looks. :roll:

On Saturday night, Central were the ladder leaders - shades of Leceister City.

expansionist

Juniors
I have very smartly backed Wynnum @ $15. One look at the ladder will show what a good investment it looks. :roll:

On Saturday night, Central were the ladder leaders - shades of Leceister City.

I took a screen shot of Wynnum being last - as I dont think we will see that again for quite some time!

A promising start by Redcliffe to only go down by 2 points up in Townsville (a difficult conversion away from a draw).

How the Dolphins handle the number away games is obviously crucial to their premiership chances. If they can't string some wins together, it could well be season over by the time they get back to Dolphin Oval. But Reddy knew this was coming once the ground upgrade was confirmed.

hellteam

First Grade
Nice work on the thread, easier to follow when it's all in one place.

I initially thought Ipswich would be terrible after losing their best 9 or so players but they seem to have got most of them back one way or another and recruited quite well too.

I'll start with some predictions:

Top 6: Townsville, Redcliffe, Sunny Coast, Ipswich, PNG, Tweed
Player of the year: Ryley Jacks
Wooden Spoon: Norths

Impressed with the sunny coast, was at the game, big crowd and they played well. Could go all the way this year but are pretty dependent on the Storm injuries

Redcliffe have Capewell, Strasser, and Nicholls this year. Pretty good trio right there, they'll surely be back in the finals

Not sure if it's even a possibility but wouldn't it be great to see channel 9 cover a game at the new stadium in Port Moresby. Would probably draw a bigger crowd than the CH 9 Sunday NRL game after it.... Be a great advertisement for the comp

The Partisan

My bold predictions

Top 6: Townsville, Redcliffe, Sunny Coast, Ipswich, PNG, Burleigh

Player of the year: Marmin Barba

Wooden Spoon: CQ Capras ( though would like to see them do well and make the semis to be honest !)

Big News Story: Crowd for Intrust Super Cup game outdoes Reds numbers :D

The Partisan

I was at the Souths v Hunters game last year - and it seemed like this crowd was waaaaay down. There was basically no one there. 99.9% PNG fans too.

Souths have to really gear up commercially... First drop the logan thing, and secondly get at least to 1990's standard! Everyone around me was PNG fans - every single one of them complaining about the horrible conditions at Davies Park.

Interesting.....though i do kind of wonder where the supporter base for S - L actually comes from ? To be honest i think you'd be hard pressed to find many current residents of West End; Highgate Hill or Dutton Park being regulars at home games.

Would genuinely be an interesting survey to see where their fans / regular game attendeees actually live.

expansionist

Juniors
Interesting.....though i do kind of wonder where the supporter base for S - L actually comes from ? To be honest i think you'd be hard pressed to find many current residents of West End; Highgate Hill or Dutton Park being regulars at home games.

Would genuinely be an interesting survey to see where their fans / regular game attendeees actually live.

I know this is difficult to quantify - but the 6 people there (8 including my boy and I) supporting Souths looked like inner city types..

I would also say that if Souths dont draw from that area then they should be very concerned. Its just depressing. The ground is basically hidden from sight, you then walk past a community garden (which looks well tended, and supported and managed) into a footy oval which looks like neglected 1973.

Id like to know what contact Souths have with the local ward (if any).

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I took a screen shot of Wynnum being last - as I dont think we will see that again for quite some time!

It seemed a good draw with the first three games at home but after last Sunday's loss and now facing PNG and Redcliffe in the next two, the Gulls might well be 0/3 soon.

The game against Burleigh was unusual. It was very even for the first 50 minutes with Wynnum then scoring to edge ahead 16-10 and possibly getting on top. They then let the kickoff go into touch 10 metres from the tryline and Burleigh scored on the second tackle. At the end of their net set, Burleigh put a bomb up, Wynnum dropped it and the Bears scored again. Wynnum finally got the ball back but dropped it on the fourth tackle and Burleigh scored again.

In all, I think Wynnum had possession for about a set and a half in 15 minutes. Burleigh scored five tries. Game over. Never have seen one mistake in not catching the kickoff be so disastrous.

Partisan, the Reds have outdone themselves this year. Usually their season is shot by the time the Sheffield Shield final is played. It's still a couple of weeks away and not only are they gone but they have sacked the coach already as well.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.qrl.com.au/content/qrl/club/news/2016/03/11/intrust_super_cup_ro.html

Intrust Super Cup Round 2 preview

Easts Tigers v Sunshine Coast Falcons
Suzuki Stadium, Langlands Park on Saturday, March 12 - 5pm
Referee: Nick Morel
Head-to-Head: Easts 9 Sunshine Coast 4
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #TIGESvSCF
Livestream: Tiger TV

The Sunshine Coast Falcons got home on the back of a 75th minute Ryley Jacks field goal in last weekend’s thrilling encounter against the Northern Pride. While delighted to kick off his Sunshine Coast tenure with a victory, Falcons coach Craig Ingebrigtsen was quick to turn his focus to this weekend’s assignment. It comes in the form of his old club the Easts Tigers, who will be looking for a breakthrough win themselves after a tight opening round loss to Tweed Heads. Recent history between the two clubs points heavily towards a Tigers victory. But with a talented new roster, the Falcons stand a strong chance of ending the Tigers’ nine-match winning run against them. While Jacks slotted the all-important field last weekend, the Falcons had several match-winners. XXXX man-of-the-match Ben Hampton impressed throughout, while the elusive Curtis Scott and powerful forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona were handfuls. Scott has been switched from centre to fullback following the return of Eddie Tautali, who will line up against the Tigers for the first time since leaving Langlands Park.

CQ Capras v Norths Devils
Browne Park on Saturday, March 12 - 6pm
Referee: Nick Pelgrave
Head-to-Head: Norths 26 Central 10 Drawn 2
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #CQCvDEVILS

After a promising Round 1 away win over the Mackay Cutters, the Central Queensland Capras will go hunting for a second scalp at home tomorrow night. Their second up assignment comes in the form of the Norths Devils, who showed plenty of promise last weekend despite going down to the defending Intrust Super Cup premiers. Devils coach Mark Gliddon has moved Billy Brittain to five-eighth in the absence of the injured Liam Tyson for the Browne Park clash. Gliddon could easily view the loss to Ipswich as ‘one that got away’ after the Devils dominated field position and possession in the opening 15 minutes. The Devils were held to a solitary Francis Molo try in that opening period, a factor that ultimately came back to hurt them when the Jets finally found some rhythm. In contrast, the Capras were able to punish the Cutters’ errors on their way to a 24-10 win in wet conditions.

Ipswich Jets v Townsville Blackhawks
North Ipswich Reserve on Sunday, March 13 - 12.40pm*(Live on Channel 9 / WIN / NBN)
Referee: Chris Butler
Head-to-Head: Ipswich 2 Townsville 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #JETSvTSVB

The Townsville Blackhawks travel to the North Ipswich Reserve to meet their 2015 grand final nemesis in what looms as an explosive afternoon. The Jets have named nine players from the team that clinched the club’s inaugural Intrust Super Cup premiership in September last year. Five Blackhawks get a chance to get one back on the Jets, who have now won seven games in succession, equal to their club record set in 2013. The Blackhawks will have to overcome Ipswich’s formidable home record, which currently stands at nine wins from their past 10 matches. For the Blackhawks, powerhouse PNG forward Willie Minoga plays his 50th match in the Intrust Super Cup. It is however only the ‘Raging Bull’s’ second game in Townsville colours. The Blackhawks are coming off a tight 18-16 win over the Redcliffe Dolphins, while the Jets got the ball rolling with a 38-24 victory over the Norths Devils. Off the field, the Jets have organised a bumper program of entertainment for the fans as part of its annual NAB Defence Force Appreciation Day.

Burleigh Bears v Tweed Heads Seagulls
Pizzey Park on Sunday, March 13 - 2pm
Referee: Clayton Sharpe
Head-to-Head: Tweed 13 Burleigh 11 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #BEARSvTHS

The always intensely-contested coastal derby has come early in the season – and with both teams coming off Round 1 win – neither side will be willing to give an inch this Sunday. While Tweed Heads overcame an 18-10 half-time deficit to overrun the Easts Tigers, Burleigh blew the Wynnum Manly Seagulls off the park in their second half. Scores were locked at 10-10 at the break, but the Bears, led by an impressive showing by new halves Jamal Fogarty and Cameron Cullen – went on an attacking raid against last year’s finalists. Dave Hala has been named on the bench in the only change to the Bears side. At Piggabeen last Sunday, the home fans celebrated when team stalwart James Wood touched down for his 100th Cup try, making him the seventh player to achieve this feat and the third to do it for a single club (Redcliffe’s Liam Georgetown and club-mate Nathanael Barnes the others). The Gulls supporters also cheered the return of Shannon Walker who made his mark on the game with an impressive try of his own. This week, the Seagulls have named an unchanged side – but will have to fill in the spot left by the one-match suspension of Cory Blair for striking.

Souths Logan Magpies v Redcliffe Dolphins
Davies Park on Sunday, March 13 - 3pm
Referee: Chris Anderson
Head-to-Head: Redcliffe 29 Souths Logan 9 Drawn 1
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #SLMvPHINS

The Magpies can expect to face a fire-up Redcliffe this week, with the side pushing last year’s minor premiers the Blackhawks all the way last weekend in going down 18-16. The Phins were in touching distance of scoring an upset first round win and had three tries disallowed which did not help their cause. Coach Adam Mogg would not have been too disappointed however, with his side that also included nine new faces besides his own giving him plenty to work with. The final scoreline might not have reflected it, but Magpies also put in a spirited showing in their Round 1 game against the Hunters. They were the first to score, but gifted PNG their first try with an error from the kick-off. Their young Broncos contingent – especially halfback Sam Scarlett – showed glimpses of pure class and the side will be primed to improve on their recent showing against the Phins which has seen them lose eight of their past nine encounters. Coach Josh Hannay will have plenty of talent to choose from with additional Brisbane players including Marion Seve making the switch to the Magpies. In milestone news, skipper Phil Dennis has been named to start off the bench for his 211th game, which will push him past Shane O'Flanagan to become the 10th most capped Cup player.

Wynnum Manly Seagulls v PNG Hunters
BMD Kougari Oval on Sunday, March 13 - 3pm
Referee: Michael Gordon
Head-to-Head: Wynnum 2 PNG 2
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #WYNvPNG
Live Stream: QRL Live Stream

The Seagulls are back at home this weekend and will be looking to atone for a poor second half that saw them leak points to eventually go down to the Bears 44-22. However, their task won’t be an easy one with the Hunters looking for two in a row following their opening win over the Magpies last weekend. The two teams have started to develop a healthy rivalry in recent seasons and share the head-to-head honours evenly with each of the four games played won by the home side. The Hunters haven’t had much cause to celebrate at the venue, with the Jets knocking them off on their way to the title in their elimination final last year as well. While Seagulls coach Jon Buchanan has named a largely unchanged side with Braydon Greenhalgh a late change for Brendon Gibb; suspensions handed down last night to key players Atte Bina and Adex Wera sees the introduction of more new players into Michael Marum’s team, with Agmark Guria Tuvi Lepan set to make his first appearance as a Hunter. The coach will be heartened by the Cup debuts of some of his new faces last weekend, with Justin Olam and Benjamin Hetra both scoring tries in their win.

Northern Pride v Mackay Cutters
Barlow Park on Sunday, March 13 - 3pm
Referee: Tim Rutherford
Head-to-Head: Pride 12 Mackay 5
Twitter: #intrustsupercup #PRIDEvMC

The Pride will hope the support of their home crowd will help them when they host the northern derby against Mackay on Sunday. With five minutes to go in their match last weekend, the Pride were set to share the two competition points with the Falcons – a result which would still have disappointed them given at one stage they were leading 24-10 – but a field goal from Ryley Jacks gave the Falcons the win. Joe O’Callaghan has largely kept faith with his side to bounce back, with Justin Castellaro (who was named earlier in the week on an extended bench) set to start in place of Shaun Hudson at centre. Mackay are a team in transition and will be relying on their older, more experienced heads like Liam Taylor to step up each week – especially in this tough battle against the Pride. Taylor has been named at fullback this week, and will become the most capped Cutters player with 106 games, passing 2013 premiership-winning captain Jardine Bobongie on 105. While the Pride hold an impressive head-to-head advantage of the their rivals, the Cutters were one of the few sides that were able to snare a win at Barlow Park last year – with their Round 12 victory the only one the home side suffered in their past 10 games at the venue.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Round 2 Results

1. East Tigers 24 Sunshine Coast Falcons 6
2. Norths Devils 32 CQ Capras 24
3. Ipswich Jets 18 Townsville Blackhawks 30
4. Burleigh Bears 36 Tweed Head Seagulls 26
5. South Logan Magpies 24 Redcliffe Dolphins 18
6. Northern Pride 44 Mackay Cutters 24
7. Wynnum Manly Seagulls 10 PNG Hunters 24