What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intrust Super Cup - Finals Series 2015: Previews; Predictions; Post Game Reports

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2015/09/15/qrl_statement_semi_f.html

QRL Statement: Semi-finals

In light of recent comments regarding the Intrust Super Cup finals, the QRL would like to clarify a number of issues with the following release:

· The Hunters were eligible to play the Qualifying Final at their home ground last weekend. However, because they finished second, the minor premiership-winning Townsville Blackhawks received the hosting rights.

· The QRL has been aware for some time now that the Hunters could be in the Preliminary Final. QRL staff travelled to PNG to explore logistics and the costings associated with a live Preliminary Final broadcast as per our contractual obligations. Unfortunately, neither the Hunters, nor the game’s current funding model, could meet the estimated cost of more than $200,000.

· As a result, the QRL consulted with its clubs and determined that Sunday’s Preliminary Final between the Hunters and Ipswich Jets would be played at a neutral venue. We anticipate a packed BMD Kougari Oval and an electric atmosphere between two of the competition’s most entertaining teams.

Dogs Of War

Coach
How much does it cost to go to a qrl game? Its just up the road and sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday.

Jets are just too good. Brilliant to watch, the Blackhawks will have their work cut out for them.

Ipswich also won the BRL grand final. So much talent here. Time for an NRL team.

Band On The Run

Juniors
Jets are just too good. Brilliant to watch, the Blackhawks will have their work cut out for them.

Ipswich also won the BRL grand final. So much talent here. Time for an NRL team.

Worked all over the place in the past year or so, and a fair bit around Ipswich, I'm amazed they don't have their own team in the NRL.

The 3 tries in 10 minutes just before half time were the killer for PNG. They could never recover from a 14 point deficit and the Jets' defence was too good in the second half.

A cracker of crowd at Kougari though and great atmosphere even if the game didn't live up to expectations.

The Partisan

Oddly enough the defence - rather than the much discussed attacking flair - of Ipswich was the difference in my opinion. Very enjoyable game to watch.

Do hope there is not a clash of jerseys next week.

( If i was the PR people QRL i'd be targeting the ex Ipswichians / NQ'ers who now live in Brisbane via the various media outlets)

The Partisan

I'm sure Ippy would have played against Townsville / NQ in some games of yesteryear ( Country Championships). Bring some history into the occasion.

(Can't believe I'm going to miss it ...aaaagggghhhh :crazy:)

Oddly enough the defence - rather than the much discussed attacking flair - of Ipswich was the difference in my opinion. Very enjoyable game to watch.

Do hope there is not a clash of jerseys next week.

( If i was the PR people QRL i'd be targeting the ex Ipswichians / NQ'ers who now live in Brisbane via the various media outlets)

Hopefully the Ipswich locals take the 40min train ride to suncorp in numbers. On the back of the BRL win and he exciting style of the jets you would think the town will be right behind them. Not only that it would look good for the Ipswich NRL bid.

The last grand final the jets were in was 2008 and that was at a fully packed north Ipswich reserve.

Historically the grand final at suncorp gets around 6-7k, it would be great to push 10k for this game. Ipswich is a big city so it's an achievable target.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
It will do well to get the 6-7000.

Similar to last year with Pride v Easts. The northern team won't attract too many, reasonable support from the local team and the rest being other Cup followers.

expansionist

Juniors
I was at the Ipswich v Easts game last weekend and honestly a small crowd, with many Tigers fans.

Predicting it will be a small crowd for the GF

The Partisan

Well I guess this is a 'down side' of having a State wide competition. The risk of having one if both teams from outside South East Qld.

Personally i'm 'happy' enough to have a smallish GF crowd if it means we can maintain a genuine 'State' comp ( or almost anyway) for a semi - professional sports competition. Must be one of only a few in Oz ( if not the only one ?).

Unfortunately we are not like the pros in either AFL or NRL where the 'event' is sold out months in advance ...then you get to see whoever makes it.

Wonder if we will ever see a day where the GF is held outside SEQ ?

Brutus

Referee
I have never seen Kougari so packed. Even back in the Brad Samuelson days.

I reckon they should stop playing the GF at a fixed ground.

It should be home region advantage. So this weeks GF should be played at Dairy Farmers. All Brisbane clubs should play at Suncorp. Gold Coast clubs play at Robina. CQ Browne Park, the ground in Cairns, PNG Port Moresby ect..

You can earn the right for a 'home' GF.

Last edited:
Apparently there is track works on the Ipswich rail line between 1pm and 5pm on GF day. The Ipswich mayor has been in contact with the transport minister and premier to have the maintenance delayed. Good on him for trying.

hellteam

First Grade
I have never seen Kougari so packed. Even back in the Brad Samuelson days.

I reckon they should stop playing the GF at a fixed ground.

It should be home region advantage. So this weeks GF should be played at Dairy Farmers. All Brisbane clubs should play at Suncorp. Gold Coast clubs play at Robina. CQ Browne Park, the ground in Cairns, PNG Port Moresby ect..

You can earn the right for a 'home' GF.

It's a good thought, but can't really happen because you won't know the venue until week or two before. Needs to be planned well before then I'd say.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/in...543144012?sv=25a009deb596c280aec53a2ffff4b621

Intrust Super Cup grand final: Rod Griffin creates history

ROD Griffin is rugby league’s ultimate journeyman.
The Ipswich Jets big bopper will create Intrust Super Cup history against Townsville on Sunday’s when he becomes the first player in the competition’s history to play in grand finals for three different clubs.
The 28-year-old made his debut for Wynnum-Manly in 2005 before having a stint in the Wests Tigers’ NRL system.
He returned to Queensland and played in three consecutive finals for the Pride (2009-10) and Tweed Heads (2011) before linking with the Jets in 2013.
It’s been a winding journey for Griffin, who was born in Papua New Guinea and moved to Australia as a three-year-old, but he’s found a home at Ipswich.
“The whole experience has been great,” he said.

“Everyone’s been together for the last few years.
“There’s no really big names. We’re all local boys and there’s a good feeling through the club.”
Griffin spent the pre-season training with the Broncos and still hasn’t given up hope of an NRL career.
He played a handful of games with Todd Carney for the Atherton Roosters, his junior club, while contracted to the Pride and believes he has what it takes to make the step up.
“I’ve been around for a while,” he said.
“I wouldn’t mind getting an NRL gig. It’d be good to get a full-time crack.
“I’m working (labourer) then going to training. It’d be nice to be able to just concentrate on footy.”
Griffin has played 152 games in Queensland’s top competition and his path to Ipswich started at the 2010 Four Nations tournament.

Griffin was representing the PNG Kumuls who had Ben and Shane Walker as assistant coaches.
The Walker brothers started as co-coaches of Ipswich in 2011 and wanted Griffin to lead their forward pack.
“We tried to sign him straight away but Tweed poached him for two years,” Ben said.
“He brings an enormous amount of belief to the team, not only through the way he plays but also the presence he has on the field and around the group.
“He’s definitely been one of the standout forwards in the competition.
“He ran for 309m in 66 minutes a few weeks ago. That’s off the charts.
“If you’re producing those sorts of outputs you’re obviously an elite player in this competition.
“It’s just craziness that someone doesn’t pick him up. He’s ready-made to go straight into the NRL.
“He’s one of those guys that’s at the right age and ready to go.”