What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Hornby a good enough Fullback?

Should Ben Hornby be retained as Fullback?

• Yes, he is doing a fantastic job

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we need someone that will have more impact in 2004

• Nothing special...give him another go in 2004

• Total voters

Collateral

Coach
Ok what do you guys think?
Is he the kind of fullback we need to help us win a premiership OR do we need someone better?

If you look at all the other NRL clubs, pretty much all clubs except: Tigers, Eagles and Souths have fullbacks better than Hornby.

So do you think we should keep him there or look for a replacement?

If so, who could replace him?

Collateral

Coach
I said NO.
I think we should of tried to get Steve Turner from Penrith, but he's gone to Melbourne.
I would like to see Niaqama have go at Fullback in this season.

Hornby is a vital cog in the Dragons team, just not from fullback...I think he should possibly come off the bench later in the season if we find a better option for Fullback.

Reece Simmonds would be fantastic, but he is too timid in First Grade at the moment.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I think that this season Ben Hornby has proved himself to be a more than capable fullback. He's maturing as a player & while I think there are better fullbacks in the league, the last thing we need is a re-shuffled backline just for the sake of it. What the team really needs is some stability.

Unless there's an option that is a sure-fire bet, keep Hornby...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Dragon

Coach
Hornby should stay at fullback in my opinion. With Barrett back he will get better quality ball when he chimes into the backline. The only times this year i thought Hornby didnt play well was when he was a 5/8. Plus he is very safe under pressure. Creagh looks to be also very safe and can jump for the high ball, its more Tinghas wing im concerned about. But he should come good with some more training under his belt.

Anonymous

Juniors
Hornby is the best fullback we've had for a while. Maybe thats not saying much but imo, he is currently the best we have at the club. I'm also a fan Reece Simmonds but I'm inclined to think he is better suited as a bench player.

ForestDragon

Juniors
Yeah Benny did well at fullback this season and deserves to keep that position next season.He had to move out of that position a few times which doesn,t help with role consistency,but he slotted back in well. ;-)

The Observer

Staff member
Blacklock should be allowed to move into the fullback role after the opening stages of a game. Tingha has more pace, more skill and can crack open a game - as a support runner he could be very effective indeed. Hornby is very safe and reliable so you would start with him but you need something more.

Dragonschik

Juniors
Hornby is all Class and he deserves to be saints no.1 fullback and yes he is a sort of fulback who will win a premiership for us.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I can't believe this topic!!!

Hornby is a absolute gun full back & player.......how could you even consider starting him of the bench!!

Didn't he win St George Illawarra's best & fairest this year!!

If you guy's don't want Hornby we will have him no questions asked at Parra!!!!

Anonymous

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
I can't believe this topic!!!

Hornby is a absolute gun full back & player.......how could you even consider starting him of the bench!!

Didn't he win St George Illawarra's best & fairest this year!!

If you guy's don't want Hornby we will have him no questions asked at Parra!!!!
You cant have him. :lol:

drake

First Grade
Benny has done a fantastic job. Especially considering the instability of of back line line-up over the past few years. Considering he's been thrust into the 5/8th role, we could see him develop into a Lockyer style player. I certainly hope so.
Southernsaint, he's made plenty of vital tackles.
I don't rate Reece anywhere near Ben.
Ting wouldn't do good as a full time fullback, a fullback has to get back into position, and Ting roves around looking for opportunities, that's where his brilliance is in attack, yet where his problem in defence lies.

Sticks

Juniors
I think the lad is a real goer. He'll improve further next season due to greater experience and hopefully being on the field with some more experienced players who will take the heat off him being one of our few attacking option.
When Browny played him at 5/8th he struggled a bit but who wouldn't have given the form we were showing at some stages of the season.

Benny

First Grade
Hornby is awesome

Should of been Country fullback this year- way better than Peachy or Patten!

Latest posts