What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Millward white anting Mary?

possm

Coach
Seems to be working well at the Dogs. How many players are they trying to get rid of to accommodate 2?

This year has been a huge improvement on the field to last few so if it is because of this move to take recruitment away from Mary then why complain? Seriously. I am sure they all work together and not in silo's and communicate where the strengths and weaknesses are and the recruiter would obviously run things past the coach not just throw players at him and expect results.

This Dugan rubbish about centre/fullback is all journalist talk. Seriously. At the end of the day the Sharks bought Duges as a centre as Holmes is there long term fullback so why is this any different to Millward's way of thinking? I know Holmes is a proven fullback, but once Field/Dufty make it to the NRL, Dugan will be centre. Only diff is Sharks are paying more to do the same thing with Dugan. Lets see how Duges' body is in the 4th year when he is 31 with all those injuries. Probably won't be worth the 1 mil then and they will end up offloading him and paying a portion of his salary to some Superleague side. Good waste of salary cap money that will be.
It has not been in effect at the Dogs. Apparently some members of their Board are wanting this policy and some are not. Whatever the decision, no successful coach would want a bar of it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Mary's view at the time is clearly that of a coaches view and is something not only he but Bellamy, Hasler, Bennett etc would have said at the time "As long as I have Duges in the side he will play fullback" so the conclusion most go to is in-fighting. Wow. I am sure Millward is talking long term and Mary current term but lets all jump the gun and say Millward has demanded Dugan be dropped or moved to centre and Mary has ignored his request and said he will be fullback.

Or lets go to the fact that Millward looks after retention and Mary is coach and Mary is picking the current team he has based on best players in that position which is his job now that he no longer looks at retention.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The reason they want this policy if because Hasler is doing a crap job. Seriously, open chequebook and no cap and still has not won a comp. I would take recruitment off him as well. As if he did not want Hoppa BMoz, Mbye etc.

Carlton

Juniors
Seems to be working well at the Dogs. How many players are they trying to get rid of to accommodate 2?

This year has been a huge improvement on the field to last few so if it is because of this move to take recruitment away from Mary then why complain? Seriously. I am sure they all work together and not in silo's and communicate where the strengths and weaknesses are and the recruiter would obviously run things past the coach not just throw players at him and expect results.

This Dugan rubbish about centre/fullback is all journalist talk. Seriously. At the end of the day the Sharks bought Duges as a centre as Holmes is there long term fullback so why is this any different to Millward's way of thinking? I know Holmes is a proven fullback, but once Field/Dufty make it to the NRL, Dugan will be centre. Only diff is Sharks are paying more to do the same thing with Dugan. Lets see how Duges' body is in the 4th year when he is 31 with all those injuries. Probably won't be worth the 1 mil then and they will end up offloading him and paying a portion of his salary to some Superleague side. Good waste of salary cap money that will be.

A couple of points need to be clarified;

It seems Millward put an offer in front of Dugan in November and this offer did not change right up till when he signed with the sharks.

Dugan quite recently even stated that there were just a couple of details to sort out with the Dragons (it appears it was not money but whether it was three or four years).

Dugan signed with the Sharks after Millward did not negotiate and withdrew the offer. He signed to play on the same money and probably as a centre.

I don't believe the coach and recruiter will always be on the same page and when this happens this is where the silo problem arises. Who has the ultimate authority, and don't say they will talk it out, one person has to be able to make and influence the final decision.

possm

Coach
The reason they want this policy if because Hasler is doing a crap job. Seriously, open chequebook and no cap and still has not won a comp. I would take recruitment off him as well. As if he did not want Hoppa BMoz, Mbye etc.
Let's not cloud the issue. Cleal is Hasler's recruitment official and surely all that needs to happen is that Cleal is replaced by someone who has the Board and Hasler's confidence.

Hasler - the Coach is answerable to the Board. Cleal was reporting to Hasler. the structure is correct, fresh staff is what is required. Same goes at the Dragons, only we had a different problem. Mary is not up to the job of managing recruitment staff so a new structure is developed which just so happens to put Millward in a high profile position. The structure at the Dragons should be Millward reporting to Mary who reports to the football committee headed by Mark Coyne.

qld redvee

Juniors
Let's not cloud the issue. Cleal is Hasler's recruitment official and surely all that needs to happen is that Cleal is replaced by someone who has the Board and Hasler's confidence.

Hasler - the Coach is answerable to the Board. Cleal was reporting to Hasler. the structure is correct, fresh staff is what is required. Same goes at the Dragons, only we had a different problem. Mary is not up to the job of managing recruitment staff so a new structure is developed which just so happens to put Millward in a high profile position. The structure at the Dragons should be Millward reporting to Mary who reports to the football committee headed by Mark Coyne.
Possm, I think you will find that Cleal was punted from the dogs at the end of last season

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The decision to take the recruitment/retention of players away from the coach means we will ALWAYS now only have a rookie coach at the helm. We are the only club with this setup which means your experienced and successful coaches with proven records (i.e. premierships) would never consider taking on the job.

This type of set up would be perfect for Demitriou. Sounds like he has a great footy brain and no matter what cattle he has he can get the best out of them. If Mary was not to get another season Demitriou would be perfect.

qld redvee

Juniors
This type of set up would be perfect for Demitriou. Sounds like he has a great footy brain and no matter what cattle he has he can get the best out of them. If Mary was not to get another season Demitriou would be perfect.
Slippery we should have kept JD and he should have been given a lot more input into running the team this year. he seems to have a good brain and his man management skills appear great . remember he was signed as our attack coach yet 1st grade didnt have any attack yet look at what he did to the cutters . we should have given him the reigns and given mary the assisstants role . Yet wayne knocks on the door with a 3 year deal and a hint of him taking over when wayne calls it a day realistically would he come back ?? id like to think he would

Latest posts