What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I don't rate him as a coach. But 2017 I was expecting a slow start. There is a long way to go yet, but when you have big lads all over the place, they get tired easily without match fitness. Missing Croker was an issue early too.

On paper that side should be pushing for the comp. If they aren't by the end of season, then once again Ricky will have missed his mark.

wibble

Bench
I don't rate him as a coach. But 2017 I was expecting a slow start. There is a long way to go yet, but when you have big lads all over the place, they get tired easily without match fitness. Missing Croker was an issue early too.

On paper that side should be pushing for the comp. If they aren't by the end of season, then once again Ricky will have missed his mark.

Agreed. They started slow last year too, and hit their straps at the end of the season, unlucky to miss the GF.

ed-grimley

Bench

Maybe Woden Valley require a coach for 2018.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There are a few worrying signs though.

As a positive its only the Sharks that have belted us. We have mostly been in games.

But there are HUUUUUUUGE issues in defence. Not a bad miss here or there but a fundamental issue with tactics. We dont push up at all so teams are basically running as fast as they can when they meet our defensive line. It is virtually impossible to then shut the ball down because we simply cant get good first contact. The only person who tries to get out the line to put pressure on is Hodgson who is lets face it a smaller dude defending in the middle.

The right edge is a clown show right now but its made even harder by the fact we just let teams stroll up the field. Even when teams shift the ball we still hang off. Teams can make easy metres against the Raiders by going 1, 2, 3 up the middle and then spreading the ball either way because the edge will hang off for some weird reason. We must be averaging 70 m a set against us.

King hit

Coach
It's difficult to win when one of your best forwards f**k up and loses his spot and you're playing away against a pack like the Bulldogs.

nick87

Coach
We've played like shit all year, not a single game we've put together 80 minutes of quality footy. Even against the Titans and Tigers we had half a game of derpiness

And still we're 4-5, with only one blow out loss. Now maybe this is who we are, and we'll go through the entire season playing pretty badly and winning at a 40-50% clip and we'll wonder where the f**k it all went wrong. We've had those seasons many times before

But we've seen the Raiders of 2016 are still there, and if they are at their best they'll be a very tough team to beat. I hope we are about have a bit of a run in the mid season, get ourselves back into the top 4 contention and come home strong. But we could just as easily just meander through 2017 and miss the 8/sneak into the 8th or 7th and get bounced week 1.

wibble

Bench
We've played like shit all year, not a single game we've put together 80 minutes of quality footy. Even against the Titans and Tigers we had half a game of derpiness

And still we're 4-5, with only one blow out loss. Now maybe this is who we are, and we'll go through the entire season playing pretty badly and winning at a 40-50% clip and we'll wonder where the f**k it all went wrong. We've had those seasons many times before

But we've seen the Raiders of 2016 are still there, and if they are at their best they'll be a very tough team to beat. I hope we are about have a bit of a run in the mid season, get ourselves back into the top 4 contention and come home strong. But we could just as easily just meander through 2017 and miss the 8/sneak into the 8th or 7th and get bounced week 1.

I think us Sharkies are doing exactly the same.

Raiders have been crap and still showing enough when they are good that they should be right up there.

Both our teams are really recreating their poor parts of their starts to 2016 (poor discipline, drop balls for us, dumb moments, edge defense for Raiders), and are close to their 2016 stats and premiership points after 9 rounds.

It is not a guarantee that a team can turn things around, but Raiders won't be panicking. Having had some key players missing for the first 9 rounds already, and plenty of season left, Raiders are every chance still to do what they did in 2016 or go even better. They were my tip to win at the start of the year, I might now have Melbourne slightly in front, but I still have them right up there.

Eelpout

Juniors
I still believe they have the highest ceiling. Come September they would be the last team I would like to face.

The Enforcer

Juniors
That Raiders side really look like they want to "put in" for the overrated one.
Sign that contract extension as he's the man from what we can see.