What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is The RLWC A Chance

mikeob

Juniors
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30402985/lionel-messi-in-mix-for-stadium-opening/

The Weekend West has learnt that Football Federation of Australia chiefs are in talks with WA tourism officials about the stadium hosting a blockbuster international game between the Socceroos and Argentina’s national team in November 2017.

WA’s major events boss Gwyn Dolphin said: “Tourism WA is still talking to several sporting federations with regard to the opening event for Perth Stadium and nothing has been locked away.”

mikeob

Juniors
At a guess a chance of being held at the new stadium.
You are right. Tourism WA is still talking to several sporting federations. I would think apart from Soccer the others would be Cricket Australia and the organisers of the RLWC.

Last Week

Bench
Th last plans i saw had retractable seating, like ANZ.

That's what I recall too. But it's more of an oval than rectangular, so it'll be worse than ANZ. Fair enough too, it'll be mostly Cricket and AFL played there.

Nuke

Staff member
If I was a betting man, I would bet my last dollar AFL get the opening event. They're telling all and sundry they deserve it and just plain expect it and will whinge the place down if soccer or any other event gets it.

I would LOVE it if RLWC gets it though. Australia vs __________ (England / NZ most likely).

Lets hope that Tony Archer is not in charge of refs come the world after what has happened to refereeing standards since he been in charge of refs in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must be ahead of schedule as wasn't due to open until early 2018. Given they have paid $5mill for origin I doubt they would go for a RLWC game unless it was the final and that's locked in to Suncorp. Rather see a sold out 21.5k in nib for the England game than 25-30k in the new stadium.

In terms of configuration it will have drop in seats,not retractable, for rectangular games and a 65k capacity

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/news-and-information/fact-sheets/rectangular-sports

Latest posts