What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there the depth of talent for expansion?

saint pebba

First Grade
I am with Bennett...

I think if we are looking to expand it should be after a sustained period of development in those areas.

I would go as far to say that the areas we expand to should be entered into the NSW/QLD cups now with the NRL also funding junior league in those areas.

This would enable us to solidify the junior talent and have them ready when the 2 new teams are introduced

RoosTah

Juniors
I am with Bennett...

I think if we are looking to expand it should be after a sustained period of development in those areas.

I would go as far to say that the areas we expand to should be entered into the NSW/QLD cups now with the NRL also funding junior league in those areas.

This would enable us to solidify the junior talent and have them ready when the 2 new teams are introduced

They are - both the West Coast Pirates and Christchurch now have teams in the NSW Cup.

Both those areas are very logical expansion points.

Yes. Easy. Those who don't think there's enough talent](*,)

Why do Antipodeans go to Superleague in their droves? Why has Yawnion got 5 Sooper Teams?

The NRL could have 22-24 teams easily if planned properly within a 10 year period without diluting the pool at all.

The sooner Brisbane 2&3, Perth, Wellington, Adelaide, Central Queensland, Central Coast and Wollongong have their own teams, the better [/dreamer]

We don't need Central Coast and Wollongong don't deserve a team. PNG and Fiji do.

Edwahu

Bench
I am with Bennett...

Why would a second Brisbane side require more development?

More than 50 Aussies, Kiwis and Papuans in Super League in 2015-2016 who could be brought back to fill the NRL expansion teams:

Krisnan Inu, Kevin Locke, Rhys Hanbury

Ken Sio, Pat Richards, Willy Tonga, Junior Sa'u, Setamaita Sa, Ben Pomeroy, Joel Moon, Wes Naiqama, William Tupou, Steve Michaels, Justin Carney, Josh Mantellato, Joel Monaghan, Fetuli Talanoa, Patrick Ah Van

Todd Carney, Ben Roberts, Rangi Chase, Kurt Gidley, Jacob Miller,
Albert Kelly, Chris Sandow, Michael Dobson, Luke Walsh, Tim Smith,

Adam Cuthbertson, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Maurice Blair,

Mark Minichiello, Dave Taylor, Justin Horo, Weller Hauraki, Ali Lauititi, Hep Cahill, Macgraff Leuluai,

Ashton Sims, Jeff Lima, Louis Anderson, Junior Moors, Corey Patterson, Dane Tilse, Roy Asotasi, Mickey Paea, Iafeta Palaesina, Manase Manuokofuo, Lama Tasi,

Paul Aiton, Pita Godinet, Aaron Heremaia

More than 50 Aussies, Kiwis and Papuans in Super League in 2015-2016 who could be brought back to fill the NRL expansion teams:

Ken Sio, Pat Richards, Willy Tonga, Junior Sa'u, Setamaita Sa, Ben Pomeroy, Joel Moon, Wes Naiqama, William Tupou, Steve Michaels, Justin Carney, Josh Mantellato, Joel Monaghan, Fetuli Talanoa, Patrick Ah Van

Mark Minichiello, Dave Taylor, Justin Horo, Weller Hauraki, Ali Lauititi, Hep Cahill, Macgraff Leuluai,

Ashton Sims, Jeff Lima, Louis Anderson, Junior Moors, Corey Patterson, Dane Tilse, Roy Asotasi, Mickey Paea, Iafeta Palaesina, Manase Manuokofuo, Lama Tasi,

You can throw in about another 20 British players on top as that as well.

Ice_Storm

Juniors
Do what the Broncos were going to do in the 90's and target the college and NFL players that miss the cut. Plenty of hugely athletic ability. Good way to capitalise on the interest at the moment and would certainly open up a different avenue for American athletes as well as a way to grow the game internationally.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are enough kids playing in png to form a team on their own if we pick out their top50 under16's and develop them properly.

duylm

Juniors
We are heading for possibly a record high points for the wooden spooners (already equal highest). And it may be as few as 3 wins from last to 8th. Maybe the spread of talent / evenness of competition isn't nearly as bad as people think?

Edwahu

Bench
We are heading for possibly a record high points for the wooden spooners (already equal highest). And it may be as few as 3 wins from last to 8th. Maybe the spread of talent / evenness of competition isn't nearly as bad as people think?

There is a deeper divide between the top sides and the bottom than ever. The top 3 all had 10+ game winning streaks this year and the Roosters could end up with 15. Last year the biggest was 8. You occasionally get a Penrith or Cronulla who will have a decent season and make the top 4 but they never have sustained success compared to the clubs with major corporate or private backing.

No doubt extra teams will either fall into the haves or the have nots, but they wont weaken the comp evenly. The haves will be as strong as ever.

isaiah

Bench
The question could be potentially answered in part by a game at langlands park tomorrow. Qld universities play a team of guys who auditioned for the show, nrl rookies.

isaiah

Bench

We wouldn't need Pomeroy and Ben Roberts

Sinman

Juniors
I think by expanding you create the talent.. Go to NZ and you'll more athletes playing League rather then union.. Also.. PNG Hunters are now getting bigger crowds then most NRL teams.. Something to think about!!

We don't need Central Coast and Wollongong don't deserve a team. PNG and Fiji do.

Yeah that makes sense, ignore our rugby league heartlands for teams in others countries and weaken international rugby league.
Wollongong are mixed in with St George-Illawarra and the Roosters are branching into the Central Coast.
There is plenty of depth in rugby league if developed properly.
#centralcoastpride #representyourarea