What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IT was an offer Brad Arthur could not refuse.

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/10/07/129815_local-sport-news.html

Brad Arthur joins Parramatta Eels

Andrew Piva

Thursday, October 7, 2010

© The Cairns Post

IT was an offer Brad Arthur could not refuse. When fellow Melbourne Storm assistant coach Stephen Kearney was approached about the top job at Parramatta, Arthur was one of the first people he rang.

"Stephen rang me up and asked if I wanted to come with him," the former Cairns Brothers captain-coach said.

"I had to make a quick decision because it all happened so quickly.

"I spent four years at Melbourne and learned a lot under Craig (Bellamy).

"It was very difficult (to leave Melbourne). Melbourne Storm have a wonderful culture and I learned a lot from the playing group.

At the Storm I was very fortunate to work with the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk.

They have a tremendous work ethic and attitude to football. They were the ones really driving the discipline in the team and hopefully we can bring some of that culture to Parramatta."
Arthur, who will address his old club Brothers while in Cairns this week, believes his coaching attributes complement the strengths of Kearney.

Together, he hopes they can return the Eels to the NRL top eight.

"He (Kearney) is a different type of person to Craig, whereas I'm probably a bit more like Craig," Arthur said.

"Stephen's got really great people skills, he's calm, relaxed and nothing seems to faze him.

"I'm probably a bit more like Craig in that I'm more prone to a blow-up and can be a little bit aggressive.

"But not all coaches can be alike. It's probably a good thing that we are different in a few aspects."

While working four years with Bellamy would make any coach's resume attractive, Arthur is content to serve another apprenticeship under Kearney before taking the next step in his career

"I'm in no rush (to become a head coach)," the 36-year-old said.

"I spent four years under the best coach in the business and now I have the chance to work under Stephen who has a different way of doing things.

"That gives me the chance to take the best things I've learned from both of them and sit back and think about what type of head coach I want to be.

"But that's still a long way off."

born an eel

Bench
At the Storm I was very fortunate to work with the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk.

They have a tremendous work ethic and attitude to football. They were the ones really driving the discipline in the team and hopefully we can bring some of that culture to Parramatta."
fancy that, players driving the discipline in the team, I thought we relied on the coach for that.

It doesn't matter who tries to install discipline if the board don't support them. Cayless and Hindy etc have tried in the past but when we have the people in control scared of loosing a player because of criticism nothing can be achieved.

Gronk

Staff member
I thought someone said he was a Parra Junior or coached our juniors ? That was not mentioned in the article and you would think that it was an important omission if true.

boxhead

First Grade
This is great.....the more I hear from him and Kearney the more I get excited for our future....

Gronk

Staff member
Michael Hagan said all the right things too. LOL @ how that panned out.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
so..what is happenning to our current assistant coaches and staff once skearney brings along his troops ?

boxhead

First Grade
so..what is happenning to our current assistant coaches and staff once skearney brings along his troops ?

Peter Sharp, our trainers and I'm guessing the rest of the coaching staff are staying. Brad Arthur will be co-assistant coach along with Peter Sharp apparently.

The P Eel

Juniors

Parra09

Juniors
Arthur will assist alongside Sharp. Matt Cameron will retain his involvement with the NRL side, along with maintaining his roles as NYC Coach and High Performance Manager.

Suitman

Post Whore
Matt Cameron will retain his involvement with the NRL side, along with maintaining his roles as NYC Coach and High Performance Manager.

Can you clarify his position or role? That appears to be a lot of work.
What is his involvement with the NRL side?
What is his role as "High Performance Manager".

Very curious to know how he will juggle three such differing requirements.

Suity

eels81236

Bench
See link....

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/de...-display&id=344&player=brad-arthur&team=Storm

Brad Arthur played juniors for Seven Hills before reps with Parramatta = local junior. Probably just writing the story from Nth Qld perspective where he spent 5-6 coaching.:)

He was indeed a Sevo boy. I lived in Sevo for a while. Not a bad spot all things considered. He is close to the proverbial "little fat kid fron the Seven Hills u/7's" that I've mentioned before. :lol:.
He was coached at club footy in juniors by his father who was a VERY good coach. He took a bunch of "less talented" kids a long way. You can include Brad in that too. They were all intelligent footballers. I believe ex Wests and Wenty(?) fullback Chris Yates played in the same side.

IFR33K

Coach
If BA is at the helm for another 5 years from now, he'll go down as parras most important and influential signing in the modern day game. Maybe the clubs most important signing of all time.

Latest posts