What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italy WC chances

Ari Gold

Bench
Could potentially have a quality time depending on who the Kangaroos select (Tedesco/Brown/Vaughan)

Tedesco
Mantellato
Gildart
Guerra
Centrone
Campese
Ghietti
Brown
Aloiai
Minichello
Vaughan
Parata
Alvaro

Wakeman
Saunders
Santi
Tramontana

I think they're a few quality backline players from being a dark horse. In terms of domestic players, Celerino and Bergamasco will be there, with the possiblity of Pezzano and Boscolo as well (both moved to Australia to play with the Tully Tigers this year)

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
I dunno..tedesco is pretty much exclusively a fullback and Mal likes to pick fullbacks who can and do play across the backline,look at the PM13 side..1-5 are all fullbacks..

That's why I reckon Mal will pick billy Slater as his 1st choice and then have the likes of Tommy turbo,gagai,duggan etc as cover for a number of positions..

Rory

Juniors
Oliver Gildart is tearing up the super league. He'll play for italy if not selected for England. Rugby Union international Mirco Bergamasco is currently playing league in Italy, and played in there qualifiers for the world cup, so already theres 2 good centres. Italy should have a really strong team, so when they verse Fiji, its gonna be a ripping contest.

Ari Gold

Bench
Needs more experience at a high level in rugby league. I hope I'm wrong as he has done everything he can possibly do domestically to get himself up to speed.

deluded pom?

Coach
Could potentially have a quality time depending on who the Kangaroos select (Tedesco/Brown/Vaughan)

Tedesco
Mantellato
Gildart
Guerra
Centrone
Campese
Ghietti
Brown
Aloiai
Minichello
Vaughan
Parata
Alvaro

Wakeman
Saunders
Santi
Tramontana

I think they're a few quality backline players from being a dark horse. In terms of domestic players, Celerino and Mantellato will be there, with the possiblity of Pezzano and Boscolo as well (both moved to Australia to play with the Tully Tigers this year)
If it's Josh Mantellato he's an Aussie with Italian heritage. Not a domestic player.

Ari Gold

Bench
54 man train on squad announced

http://www.firl.it/2017/09/26/itali...tori-che-si-giocheranno-un-posto-ai-mondiali/

Aidan Guerra – Sydney Roosters
Alberto Mariani – Brianza Tigers
Alec Susino – Mounties
Alex Mammone – Halifax
Alvise Rigo – Leoni Veneti
Brenden Santi – Sydney Roosters/Wyong Roos
Chris Centrone – Wyong Roos
Colin Wilkie – Northern Pride
Christophe Calegari – Palau XIII Broncos
Daniel Alvaro – Parramatta Eels
Dean Parata – Blacktown Workers
Edoardo Pezzano – Spartans Catania/Tully Tigers
Emanuele Passera – XIII del Ducato
Fabrizio Ciaurro – XIII del Ducato
Gavin Hiscox – Central Queensland Capras
Gioele Celerino – Saluzzo NWR/Tully Tigers
Giorgio Draghi – Brianza Tigers
Giuseppe Pagani – Lions Brescia
Ismail Byaoui – Lions Brescia
Jack Campagnolo – Northern Pride
Jack Johns – Newcastle Knights
James Tedesco – Wests Tigers
Jayden Walker – Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Jaume Giorgis – Saluzzo NWR
Joe Tramontana – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Joel Riethmuller – Northern Pride
Josh Aloiai – Wests Tigers
Josh Mantellato – Wyong Roos
Justin Castellaro – Northern Pride
Kieran Quabba – Townsville Districts Blackhawks
Lorenzo Leandro – Lions Brescia
Lucas Bruzzone – Saluzzo NWR
Luis Lollo – Brianza Tigers
Luke Polselli – Manly Sea Eagles
Mark Minichiello – Hull FC
Mason Cerruto –Penrith Panthers/St Marys
Matt Parata – Souths Logan Magpies
Mirco Bergamasco – Leoni Veneti
Nathan Brown – Parramatta Eels
Nathan Milone – Wests Tigers
Oliver Gildart – Wigan Warriors
Davide Spinnato – XIII Lovers Palermo
Patrick Ziliotti – Brianza Tigers
Paul Vaughan – St. George Illawarra Dragons
Richard Lepori – Oldham Roughyeds
Ryan Ghietti – Northern Pride
Ryan King – Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Ryan Tramonte – Windsor Wolves
Igor Gianmario – Spartans Catania
Shannon Wakeman – Huddersfield Giants
Simone Boscolo – Leoni Veneti/Tully Tigers
Terry Campese – Queanbeyan Blues
Tommaso Nicoli – Leoni Veneti

adamkungl

Immortal
Looks like ~18 players from Italy in that squad? Even if they don't make the final cut (obviously will be 1-2 max) that's a really positive experience that will help drive the local game.

Ari Gold

Bench
Bergamasco has boarded a flight for Sydney so you can lock him in for the 24 man squad.

Jack Johns will also be in the reduced squad - seems Ciraldo is looking towards a Johns/Campese halves combo.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Heck, I'll watch the Italy games just to see Bergamasco run around, and I won't be alone in that regard. As said earlier, even if he was crap I would pick him just for the media impact back in Italy.

adamkungl

Immortal
Heck, I'll watch the Italy games just to see Bergamasco run around, and I won't be alone in that regard. As said earlier, even if he was crap I would pick him just for the media impact back in Italy.

Is he a big enough name that it will actually get Italians in Italy watching their games?

Ari Gold

Bench
His participation in the qualifiers got rugby league some space in national media.

Being a vegan rugby player has given him a bit more exposure as well.

Ari Gold

Bench
Guerra out but looks like Gildart confirmed. Italy has depth in the forwards so not a bad trade off.